What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticket Sales for the Four Nations

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Looking on from afar at the French game it appears to me that the one big difference in their game compared with the likes of England and NZ is the mental toughness that carries you through the last 10 or so minutes of a half. NZ have developed this.....but to the consistent standard of the Australians. England had it in the 90's and need to relearn it. The French need a hard as nails Australian coach or even someone like Bennett to help mentor them, teach them and explain how to develop this mental toughness.
When the French have that edge to their game they will be a force again.

yakstorm

First Grade
I think the sign writing comment is quite harsh. All stadiums in the UK, Australia, America and a lot of other countries require vendors to put a water soluble paint that can be washed off post games. If it's damp like it was on Friday night, then of course the paint is going to wash off on players, but it happens in a lot of sports, and it happens heaps in the NRL.

It's possibly why most English sports leave their fields clear.

undertaker

Coach
Richard Lewis said in his post match (Eng v Wal) interview that the whole of the bottom bowl at Wembley is sold out (34,303) and that the upper tier (39,165) is now selling well with a week to go.

So that's a minimum of 34,303 attendance even if we don't sell another ticket or have any walk ups on the day, not bad.

Then there's club Wembley, (16,532) the middle ring, these seats are the property of companies who have tickets to every event at Wembley an pay an annual fee to the SMC for the privilege, whether they turn up or not or transfer their tickets to others is up to them. The problem with that is the potential or a huge number of empty seats is very high and despite being nothing to do with the RFL it always looks bad on them, the event and the sport.

It looks like we'll get the benchmark 50% capacity figure (45,000), barring bad weather. Anything over 50,000 will be a bonus, and hopefully will inspire the RFL to move away from the crapshack 11,000 seat venues like Leigh and move to the larger stadia. It's amazing to think that most ppl may not remember that the 1995 RLWC Semi between the same two teams (England/Wales) got over 30,000 at Old Trafford. Even the England/Fiji match at the old Central Park got 26,000. I know the SL war did kill international rugby league to a large extent, as was seen by the first tri-series back in 1999, when Suncorp (aka the home of Origin) only managed to get 12000 when Great Britain played Australia for the first time since the '94 Kangaroos tour. International league attendances have come a long way since then, but
the international game will always remain stagnant and play second fiddle to international Union the way the game is run

And I agree with the person who made the comment RE:crowd in Aus/NZ match. Yes, Warrington is rugby league heartland, but a game involving those two teams shouldn't be played in a 13,024 seat stadium. Very amateur, and still further proof that the RFL are holding international rugby league back by holding these matches in those stadiums, as well as near to zero promotion. This is where Union shits all over us. Even though it is by far the inferior sport of the two, the one thing I will give the IRB credit for is that they definitely know how to promote their product, as was seen in the recent World Cup in NZ, where boring matches with zero, 1 or 2 tries (at most in a match) still got 60,000 ppl at Eden Park.

I'm optimistic and hope we can get as many ppl to Wembley, which in return will send out a strong message to the RFL that international RL still have a LOT of potential that is being neglected

Last edited:

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I still have that and all the 95 WC games on VHS at my dads house. That was one of the games of the tournament if i remember rightly. Old Trafford had one of the stands closed for development.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I still have that and all the 95 WC games on VHS at my dads house. That was one of the games of the tournament if i remember rightly. Old Trafford had one of the stands closed for development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF7lUgplvOQ

I watched this the other week. Its not till they do a wide shot of the stadium that you notice that it has one side full only.

Back on topic....

Sadly the Wales vs Australia game will be lucky to get 5,000 that will bring the overall crowd average down.

Coastbloke

Bench
It looks like we'll get the benchmark 50% capacity figure (45,000), barring bad weather. Anything over 50,000 will be a bonus, and hopefully will inspire the RFL to move away from the crapshack 11,000 seat venues like Leigh and move to the larger stadia. It's amazing to think that most ppl may not remember that the 1995 RLWC Semi between the same two teams (England/Wales) got over 30,000 at Old Trafford. Even the England/Fiji match at the old Central Park got 26,000. I know the SL war did kill international rugby league to a large extent, as was seen by the first tri-series back in 1999, when Suncorp (aka the home of Origin) only managed to get 12000 when Great Britain played Australia for the first time since the '94 Kangaroos tour. International league attendances have come a long way since then, but
the international game will always remain stagnant and play second fiddle to international Union the way the game is run

And I agree with the person who made the comment RE:crowd in Aus/NZ match. Yes, Warrington is rugby league heartland, but a game involving those two teams shouldn't be played in a 13,024 seat stadium. Very amateur, and still further proof that the RFL are holding international rugby league back by holding these matches in those stadiums, as well as near to zero promotion. This is where Union shits all over us. Even though it is by far the inferior sport of the two, the one thing I will give the IRB credit for is that they definitely know how to promote their product, as was seen in the recent World Cup in NZ, where boring matches with zero, 1 or 2 tries (at most in a match) still got 60,000 ppl at Eden Park.

I'm optimistic and hope we can get as many ppl to Wembley, which in return will send out a strong message to the RFL that international RL still have a LOT of potential that is being neglected

This...

DINGb@T

Juniors
Getting over 90% capacity for these games has to be a good thing. I mean these are games that are making a profit. A PROFIT for League.

And that's the best thing about the 4 Nations concept and the 3 Nations before that - this tournament is helping to set up other tournaments not only via greater advertising exposure etc but also straight up ticket profits that help fund the next tournament, that will turn a profit and fund the next one, etc. They may have got a slightly larger profit if they had gone in a bigger stadium but at the moment this shindig is well in the black. And that's become a pattern, not a one off, for League tournaments since the 3 Nations concept took off.

And who knows how much it costs to hire out Wembley. For all we know the small profits from the minor stadiums were set up to guarantee a return to subsidise the big game at Wembley should the crowd have been a let down. It doesn't seem necessary now but in the build up a conservative strategy for the smaller games may have seemed prudent given they were going out on a limb by returning a game to the capital's biggest stage.

I'm going to put my hand up and say that I think they've done an excellent job choosing the stadiums so far. Two of the smaller games of the tournament are over, played in front of good crowds for the national tv audience, and the hype is on for the big Wembley game. Well done to those involved, I reckon.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Getting over 90% capacity for these games has to be a good thing. I mean these are games that are making a profit. A PROFIT for League.

And that's the best thing about the 4 Nations concept and the 3 Nations before that - this tournament is helping to set up other tournaments not only via greater advertising exposure etc but also straight up ticket profits that help fund the next tournament, that will turn a profit and fund the next one, etc. They may have got a slightly larger profit if they had gone in a bigger stadium but at the moment this shindig is well in the black. And that's become a pattern, not a one off, for League tournaments since the 3 Nations concept took off.

And who knows how much it costs to hire out Wembley. For all we know the small profits from the minor stadiums were set up to guarantee a return to subsidise the big game at Wembley should the crowd have been a let down. It doesn't seem necessary now but in the build up a conservative strategy for the smaller games may have seemed prudent given they were going out on a limb by returning a game to the capital's biggest stage.

I'm going to put my hand up and say that I think they've done an excellent job choosing the stadiums so far. Two of the smaller games of the tournament are over, played in front of good crowds for the national tv audience, and the hype is on for the big Wembley game. Well done to those involved, I reckon.

Hear hear :clap:

yakstorm

First Grade
More bays have been opened up for the Wembley Double Header.

Supposedly according to posters on TRL over 41K have been sold for the game so far, which is an excellent result.

WireMan

Bench
rubbish grounds, rubbish crowds

Yeah, we need more exposed grass banks.

Fancy having grounds with 4 stands all covered with a roof next to the pitch. Probably confused the watching public back in Aus. Thats the problem here.

Two international games in the heartland of rugby league playing in full stadiums. Yup, the game is clearly doomed. :roll:

Hindyscrack

Bench
Yeah, we need more exposed grass banks.

Fancy having grounds with 4 stands all covered with a roof next to the pitch. Probably confused the watching public back in Aus. Thats the problem here.

Two international games in the heartland of rugby league playing in full stadiums. Yup, the game is clearly doomed. :roll:

You can call a terrace a stand now?

RL stadia in Aus, craps all over the grounds here in the UK

remind me again how NZ v PGN in rotorua went in 2010

6,000 rattling around in a 34,000 capacity stadium

good going that well done

It was PNG ffs

Sam - The audio sounded OK to you? Did you have it on low volume cos you didn't wanna wake the house up early on Saturday morning?