What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticket Sales for the Four Nations

Steve Davy

Juniors
I hate to whinge about Aussies whinging ;) , so let us concentrate on the good crowd expected. I was not happy about Leigh hosting, but then I do not know the arrangements, nor how many the crowd would have been elsewhere.

The Wembley crowd will be superb for what is a fairly predictable defeat. The Roo's will certainly put on a good show, I hope England do the same and get some of the first timers (at the ground and on TV) coming back for more.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
so far we've had

12,491 in a 13,024 capacity stadium

&

10,377 in a 11,000 capacity stadium

whats the whinging all about?.........seems perfect choice of stadia to me..full stadia look good on tv..thats all that matters

So far we have had two test matches, both of which have failed to reached over 15,000.

That is a problem with international played in England at the moment. All internationals in the big three countries that has the home country playing should be drawing at least 20,000 while games between two neutrals (of the big three nations) should be around 14,00-15,000.

Although the Wembley matches are selling well. Hopefully this can happen regularly and not just because we haven't played there for a long time.

undertaker

Coach
So far we have had two test matches, both of which have failed to reached over 15,000.

That is a problem with international played in England at the moment. All internationals in the big three countries that has the home country playing should be drawing at least 20,000 while games between two neutrals (of the big three nations) should be around 14,00-15,000.

Although the Wembley matches are selling well. Hopefully this can happen regularly and not just because we haven't played there for a long time.

I share the same optimism as you regarding the Wembley match. As I said in a previous post, a strong crowd on Saturday will hopefully send the message and encourage the RFL to take more internationals to the larger venues in the future, not just Wembley alone.

The next opportunity for a Wembley test will be the 2013 WC, with England and Australia being in the same pool. It would make a fantastic opening match with proper promotion.

But regarding your first point, it does make you wonder how much the international game suffered since SL. Excluding tests involving Australia that have been held in England, in the '95 WC, England/Wales got over 30,000 and England/Fiji got 26,000. In '93, England/New Zealand at Wembley got nearly 37,000 (which is outstanding by today's standards, since it's approx. 50% capacity of the then 73-74,000 capacity of the Old Wembley). Even in '98, England/New Zealand sold out Reebok Stadium in Bolton and got nearly 28,000. I wonder what an England/Fiji or England/Wales test would get today if it was held in the larger venues? Also, given that in the meantime either England or New Zealand will always be challenging Australia for that second spot in a tournament final, maybe its time to shift England/New Zealand matches beyond stadiums with 25000 seat capacity (e.g. Wigan, Hull, Huddersfield etc.)?

Alas, I think the Aussie babaas game at twickenham will again show the gulf between the codes.
Loftus road or craven cottage should have been used.....
IMO that is.

Agree with the part in bold. I would much preferred to have seen the game at Loftus Road rather than Warrington. It doesn't make sense to me that the Aus/NZ match was held at Loftus Rd a few years ago and sold out, and the ground has a capacity of about 5000 more than Warrington. As I said in my previous post, matchups involving Eng/Aus, Aus/NZ and Eng/NZ matches should be played in larger stadiums and yes, the RFL do have a lot to answer for in this regard

Last edited:

WireMan

Bench
You can call a terrace a stand now?

RL stadia in Aus, craps all over the grounds here in the UK

Yes. Both Warrington and Leigh have 4 stands. Told you it confuses Australians.

Which RL stadia in Aus? The one with the grass banks, the one that the roof fell of in the wind, or the one(s) with no roof to start with?

Or do you mean the bigger multi use ones? Cause if your going there then RL in UK uses some good grounds themselves.

Agree with the part in bold. I would much preferred to have seen the game at Loftus Road rather than Warrington. It doesn't make sense to me that the Aus/NZ match was held at Loftus Rd a few years ago and sold out, and the ground has a capacity of about 5000 more than Warrington. As I said in my previous post, matchups involving Eng/Aus, Aus/NZ and Eng/NZ matches should be played in larger stadiums and yes, the RFL do have a lot to answer for in this regard

Warrington is a Rugby stadium, surrounded by an area where Rugby fans live. So rather than make fans travel all the way down to London, we actually staged two games in an area fans live. Not a bad thing really is it?
You would rather move it to a bigger stadium miles away that isn't that nice, wouldn't be filled, and have most of the rugby league world in the UK wondering why we have to travel to London?
We have a game at Wembley, that is the game to promote down London way.

The RFL have plenty to answer for, but the grounds and crowds in this tournament isn't one of them yet. Wembley is the key measure for the success though. Signs are good.

undertaker

Coach
Warrington is a Rugby stadium, surrounded by an area where Rugby fans live. So rather than make fans travel all the way down to London, we actually staged two games in an area fans live. Not a bad thing really is it?
You would rather move it to a bigger stadium miles away that isn't that nice, wouldn't be filled, and have most of the rugby league world in the UK wondering why we have to travel to London?
We have a game at Wembley, that is the game to promote down London way.

The RFL have plenty to answer for, but the grounds and crowds in this tournament isn't one of them yet. Wembley is the key measure for the success though. Signs are good.

I never advocated that every single test should be played in London.

So, in other words, you're saying that the future of test matches (especially matches that involve the big nations) should be confined to stadia with a 13024 seat capacity, even if it's in rugby league heartland when there's also other stadia in this so-called "rugby league heartland" that have larger capacities and would draw a higher attendance than the one last Friday night?

It's with that sort of attitude that ppl wonder why the IRB is laughing at us from a great height and why light years exist between our international game and theirs, when the gap should be a lot closer if it was for adept management. Whilst that sort of attitude continues, I guarantee you that we will continue to be the laughing stock in the media and international RL will also be perceived by many of the hardcore league fans as nothing but a waste of time.

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach

NZ v PNG drew 6,000

AUS v PNG drew 11,000 apparently :lol:

i have'nt a clue why you lot think games here should draw twice as much!...given the profile of the game down under it should be you lot getting double what we do...and taking tests to the sydney olympic stadium.......

BUT NO!!!

Last edited:

WireMan

Bench
I never advocated that every single test should be played in London.

So, in other words, you're saying that the future of test matches (especially matches that involve the big nations) should be confined to stadia with a 13024 seat capacity, even if it's in rugby league heartland when there's also other stadia in this so-called "rugby league heartland" that have larger capacities?

It's with that sort of attitude that ppl wonder why the IRB is laughing at us from a great height and why light years exist between our international game and theirs, when the gap should be a lot closer if it was for adept management. Whilst that sort of attitude continues, I guarantee you that we will continue to be the laughing stock in the media and international RL will also be perceived by many of the hardcore league fans as nothing but a waste of time.

Which grounds in the RL heartland (so called? Whats so called about it?) of south Lancashire have a larger capacity? Wigan is a football stadium that is being used by the latics, Saints isn't built and Widnes isn't any bigger.

Yorkshire gets its own round later.

Until International rugby is not seen as a waste of time by hardcore fans then it doesn't really matter what is done.

WireMan

Bench
I was talking about RL stadia.

Brookvale and Leicahardt are the exceptions in Aus opposed to the rule here.

Which RL stadiums you thinking about?

You will have to help me.

4 stands with a roof that covers all the spectators, good facilities and easy access is a good start.

For RL stadium read: a ground that RL is the only top flight sport played there.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Which RL stadiums you thinking about?

You will have to help me.

4 stands with a roof that covers all the spectators, good facilities and easy access is a good start.

For RL stadium read: a ground that RL is the only top flight sport played there.

well in that case, the Halliwell Jones is the best RL stadium in Britain.

I was referring to grounds in which RL is played in regularly.

Whats wrong with a ground share? Wigan and Hull have probably the best stadiums in the country and they share theirs with their local football teams.

A hill in Australia is no different from a concrete terrace in the UK. Fair enough some of the terraces have a tin shed over them, but different climates allow for different stadiums.

Please have a look at these two lists and tell me that you feel the stadiums and facilities here in the UK are superior to those in Aus? The fact that Old Trafford and Wembley only get brought out once a year hardly counts them as RL stadiums, but we'll let it slide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_rugby_league_stadiums_by_capacity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_rugby_league_stadiums_by_capacity

Anyway we should probably get back on topic, sorry for derailing.

Hoping for this unseasonably 'warm' weather to hang around for Saturday, got a cracking weekend up sport coming up here in London.

roughyedspud

Coach
weather forecast is for blue skies & 13-14c

it'll feel warmer than that though...it'll be perfect RL playing weather imo

WireMan

Bench
well in that case, the Halliwell Jones is the best RL stadium in Britain.

So the match was played in the correct place.

Well done RFL.

Now onto Wembley where we will hopefully get a crowd approaching 50k.

The corporate tickets exactly opposite the camera always make the crowd look bad though.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
NZ v PNG drew 6,000

AUS v PNG drew 11,000 apparently :lol:

i have'nt a clue why you lot think games here should draw twice as much!...given the profile of the game down under it should be you lot getting double what we do...and taking tests to the sydney olympic stadium.......

BUT NO!!!

How about you read my post correctly before posting? Might make you look better on here.

I said, the three big countries hosting games against the other countries from the top 3 should be drawing 20,000 at least. This means, only games that are Australia vs England, England vs New Zealand and New Zealand vs England that are held in either of these three countries.

I then said, that games between the big three countries played in a neutral country should be pulling crowds of 14,000-15,000. This means, only games that are Australia vs England in New Zealand, England vs New Zealand in Australia or Australia vs England in New Zealand.

I don't know how that out of this, you somehow pulled PNG out?

As far as I am concerned, PNG is not apart of the big three countries.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Looks like we could be on track for a tri/four nations record, which i think is 44,358 for the Australia vs England, Brisbane 2006.