What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tier 1 or 2

bipolarbob

Juniors
Hi,

so with Samoa getting into the WCF (yes they lost but) are they now a Tier 1 or 2 country now.
Just thinking of the State of Origin players who cant play if they are Tier 1....i think

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Tier 1 has nothing to do with on field performance. It has more to do with domestic activity and the professional pathways the nation has in place. The reality is Samoa and Tonga will never be tier 1 unless the tier system is scrapped altogether.

At which point, I believe that provided you are eligible for Origin, no matter which country you are from you should be able to play.

Last Week

Bench
Tiers aren't needed any more. Players now appear to be picking a country and sticking to it.

I see no reason why we can't have a one nation for life rule now. I somehow doubt Joseph Sualii will be upset that he must play for Samoa for his career now.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Steve Mascord makes a good point. Why would Samoa or Tonga want to be tier 1?

Queensland and NSW will produce players for them. And have a yearly series to harden their players.

Samoa, Tonga and to a lesser extent Fiji have a significant advantage over other tier 2-3 nations.

Seems a bit unfair but suits them fine I’m sure.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Then no Origin, tough titties.
Although I don't agree, I see where you are coming from.

The problem though, is that Brad Fittler and the NSWRL are going to want to win Origin, so they will push to have these guys included no matter which international side they chooses. Fittler has already stated this.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
In five-ten years, the majority of the NSW team will not be, or not wanting to be, playing for Australia.

Does the NSWRL want to be developing Samoan and Tongan national players?

I sure as hell don’t want the QRL to exist for that.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
In five-ten years, the majority of the NSW team will not be, or wanting to be, playing for Australia.

Honestly, due to the sovereign nature of the NSW and QLD Rugby Leagues, I think they wouldn't care as long as they have the best chance to win Origin.

Now, would the Kangaroos coach care? Yes, definitely. But Origin will win out because of the money it generates. The eligibility rules either staying as they are, or going a step further and including SOO eligible Kiwis & Englishmen also has the added benefit of improving the international game which could then also become a money spinner for the ARLC.

In reality though, Australia will always be at the pointy end of the game due to the fact that the biggest professional competition is in our country.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It is not a zero sum game. The international game can develop without compromising Origin.

Origin would survive without players choosing their heritage over country of birth.

It doesn’t need them.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
There is no improvement in Rugby League by allowing Australians to play for England or NZ.

It is a short term hit that leads to long term detriment.

In fact, what happens to Samoa and Tonga in 20-30 years as the ‘heritage’ becomes increasingly tenuous? Weren’t some of their reps this year qualifying under grandparent rules?

yakstorm

First Grade
In fact, what happens to Samoa and Tonga in 20-30 years as the ‘heritage’ becomes increasingly tenuous? Weren’t some of their reps this year qualifying under grandparent rules?
There is a possibility that they'll end up like Wales, who had a team that was 90%+ heritage in 2000 and were arguably in the top 4-5 nations and could challenge the top 3 (were never going to beat them, but were definitely entertaining to watch) but now are no where in the mix (although are now boasting 60% domestic players), but IMO that doesn't mean we should change the rules now to bring that forward.

Whilst there is a level of unfairness with Tonga, Samoa (and a bit of Fiji & PNG) piggybacking off Origin and other high performance programs, it is at least drawing sponsors, fans and conversation to the international game which will hopefully see the code invest in it and also fast track the next 'challengers' to the top.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Who`s to say that in 20 - 30 years, probably a lot less, that Tonga, Samoa, Fiji ( pop.1m), in fact the whole P.I. fullstop, aren`t going to have serious production lines of young talent coming out of their systems.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Who`s to say that in 20 - 30 years, probably a lot less, that Tonga, Samoa, Fiji ( pop.1m), in fact the whole P.I. fullstop, aren`t going to have serious production lines of young talent coming out of their systems.
That won’t happen under current arrangements.

They can just rely on NSW, Queensland and even Victoria to produce their players.

Where is the incentive to change?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Origin isnt anything to do with international rugby league and should be treated as the exhibition game it is. If you played jnr footy in that state you should be eligible for origin. Then you can pick which country you wish to represent.
a successful international rugby league benefits everyone.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
There they go contradicting themselves. Can’t have it both ways.

If it is just an exhibition game then it shouldn’t matter that other nationalities can’t play in it.

If it is so meaningless then why does every Samoan, Tongan, Pom and Kiwi want to be involved? Simple, because it is the fiercest football on the planet.

Black Panther

Juniors
In five-ten years, the majority of the NSW team will not be, or not wanting to be, playing for Australia.

Nah, QLD have been using players from everywhere for years. Kumuls, All Blacks, even from NSW.. Inglis, one of QLD greats.😂

Rugby League is better off just letting them play to strengthen other nations.

Half the Samoan team are dual premiership winning players now with the Panthers.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Origin isnt anything to do with international rugby league and should be treated as the exhibition game it is. If you played jnr footy in that state you should be eligible for origin. Then you can pick which country you wish to represent.
a successful international rugby league benefits everyone.
FMD a 100% correct post from Perth Red!!!!