What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tiger Woods

Engine

Juniors
I cannot think of enough superlatives for this magnificent sportsman. The things he did on that Torrey Pines golf course had to be seen to be believed.
This man has been out of golf for two months and was battling a knee injury from surgery.
Yet, he delivered probably the three best shots of his career (outside that 2006 masters shot).
He battled through that round and played by his standards, poorly. But he managed to fid a way to top the leaderboard by the end of the round. Incredible!
Ali and Jordan have been the best sportsman I've ever seen. Tiger is definitely pushing it.

Mong

Post Whore
I cannot think of enough superlatives for this magnificent sportsman. The things he did on that Torrey Pines golf course had to be seen to be believed.
This man has been out of golf for two months and was battling a knee injury from surgery.
Yet, he delivered probably the three best shots of his career (outside that 2006 masters shot).
He battled through that round and played by his standards, poorly. But he managed to fid a way to top the leaderboard by the end of the round. Incredible!
Ali and Jordan have been the best sportsman I've ever seen. Tiger is definitely pushing it.

Tiger is and will be remembered as the best his sport has ever seen and i beleive he will be remembered above any other sportsman in any other code.

We are certainly lucky to be able to watch him in his prime..

petetheileet

First Grade
its as if he coasts with the pack and whenever he really wants to he plays ahead of them with ease!

Jimbo

Immortal
That last 12-footer means another early start tomorrow...

Can Tiger beat Rocco on one leg?

One of those truly freakish people who make the magnificent look easy and the impossible look average. We will never see another golfer like him but if by a sheer stroke of luck, we ever see one better, I hope I am still around. As an avid golfer, Its frustrating to watch him as I know that I will never get close to having that kind of skill.
To give you an idea of how good he is, if an average golfer off say about 18 handicap were to play a golfer ranked 1000th in the world, that 1000th ranker would smash the 18 handicapper every day of the week, rain hail or shine on any course, as you need to be that good to be ranked 1000th. The leap in skill would be the same for the guy ranked 1000th to be playing someone ranked 100 and then from 100 to be playing a top ten golfer. Tiger has upped the ante again to the point where there is that kind of a gap between him (rank 1) and Mickelson (ranked 2). If Tiger were to quit tomorrow he would still be ranked world number one for 2 years.

You only see a sportsman like this in any game once in a number of lifetimes and people will be talking about Tiger for as long as the game is played.

Jimbo

Immortal
As an avid golfer, Its frustrating to watch him as I know that I will never get close to having that kind of skill.

As a swimmer I used to feel the same way when watching Ian Thorpe, with that long, graceful stroke he had

Just like Tiger, he used to make something that's quite difficult look ridiculously easy

You only see a sportsman like this in any game once in a number of lifetimes and people will be talking about Tiger for as long as the game is played.

True

But people also said that about Alain Prost when he held the record of F1 race wins with 51...

But people also said that about Alain Prost when he held the record of F1 race wins with 51...

I think the best way to gauge this is to look at those that have gone before Woods. Nicklaus was previously regarded as the greatest ever and many said that what he achieved would not be eclipsed. Woods had conquered many of these feats in his 20's. Plus if you look at the golfers that Woods beats. Mickelson would have been regarded as one of the greatest ever had Woods not been around at the same time, but he rarely rates a mention nowadays. I hope I am wrong and I see another of these freaks come along in my lifetime but I seriously doubt that I will be that lucky.

Mong

Post Whore
True

Point noted but i think it's hard to compare F1 and Golf Jimbo.. I hear a lot more about the old time golf greats a lot more then old time race car drivers already and woods is going to end up greater then any that have come before him ..

Mong

Post Whore
Can Tiger beat Rocco on one leg?

Yes, the presure will tell on Rocco, he had to qualify to get into the tournament, he has already had a pretty big win..

I hope he makes it competitive but unless Woods breaks down he will win pretty easily.

Eelsnutcase

Juniors
as a golfer who got my handicap down to 4 i can only imagine how hard he works to make it look easy.Gave me chills watching him eagle the 18th in that 3rd round.

Jimbo

Immortal
Point noted but i think it's hard to compare F1 and Golf Jimbo.. I hear a lot more about the old time golf greats a lot more then old time race car drivers already and woods is going to end up greater then any that have come before him ..

The point was that records are made to be broken

Tiger is golf's Schumacher

Mong

Post Whore
Rocco is doing well, he's fun to watch as well, very emotional..

American crowds sh*t me though, doesn't matter where they are or how far the player is away from the hole at least one clown has to yell out "get in the hole" every time..

I don't think he was ever going to get beaten in the playoff. How mentally tough is the bloke??

I would imagine that having more money than God would help with the mental toughness side of things, when it comes to situations like that. A few mill in prizemoney for Tiger would be like you or I playing for $100. Sure its great to win but not the end of the world for him if he doesn't. Mediate on the other hand, although he is loaded also, the money and the status would have meant a lot more to him.

As Tiger gets older, he is only going to get better still. That is the scary part.

Jimbo

Immortal
Tiger trivia - Aside from the 14th major, this is also the 500th week that Tiger has been World #1...

The Preacher

First Grade
I would imagine that having more money than God would help with the mental toughness side of things, when it comes to situations like that. A few mill in prizemoney for Tiger would be like you or I playing for $100. Sure its great to win but not the end of the world for him if he doesn't. Mediate on the other hand, although he is loaded also, the money and the status would have meant a lot more to him.

As Tiger gets older, he is only going to get better still. That is the scary part.

As you say, he has a motza and doesn't have to worry about money. The Shark has a motza also, and he didn't have to worry about money.
It's the titles these blokes chase, not the dollars. There'd be plenty of mental pressure there, don't worry about that.

Noa

First Grade
While I can appreciate Tigers brilliance I could never consider him the greatest sportsman of all time when he is going up a against blokes who basically are the dregs of genetic ability.

Tiger lucky in that he's the first of the new breed of golfer. 20 years from there will be 15 Tigers going around due to ELITE athletes taking up golf rather then the usaul games.

Just My Opinion

Latest posts