What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers` Leagues Club Rebuild to Go Ahead.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

Twelve years after it was shuttered, the derelict Balmain Leagues Club is finally ready for a rebuild after the state government ditched plans to use the Rozelle site as a dirt dump during construction of the Western Harbour Tunnel.

Chinese developer Heworth can now proceed with plans, approved in 2020, to rebuild a Wests Tigers Leagues Club alongside 167 apartments, a town square, arts studio and supermarket, originally valued at $400 million.

Surely this has got to be worth something to the Tigers` bottom line.

gallagher

Juniors

Twelve years after it was shuttered, the derelict Balmain Leagues Club is finally ready for a rebuild after the state government ditched plans to use the Rozelle site as a dirt dump during construction of the Western Harbour Tunnel.

Chinese developer Heworth can now proceed with plans, approved in 2020, to rebuild a Wests Tigers Leagues Club alongside 167 apartments, a town square, arts studio and supermarket, originally valued at $400 million.

Surely this has got to be worth something to the Tigers` bottom line.
I think Wests Ashfield paid off Balmains debt and own the license now.

big hit!

Bench
Aren`t Wests Ashfield the main Leagues club behind Wests Tigers. So the team will benefit through that.

Will most likely be called Wests Ashfield @Rozelle.

Good thing Balmain had a decent support base, and the Tiger emblem of course. Because they're the only two things keeping any semblance of Tigers in the club.

For all intents and purposes, the club is Western Suburbs Magpies. The home strip is basically Western Suburbs with a bit of orange trim. They even have 2 magpie emblems on the jersey which are larger than the tiger logo.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade

Good thing Balmain had a decent support base, and the Tiger emblem of course. Because they're the only two things keeping any semblance of Tigers in the club.

For all intents and purposes, the club is Western Suburbs Magpies. The home strip is basically Western Suburbs with a bit of orange trim. They even have 2 magpie emblems on the jersey which are larger than the tiger logo.
They are named the Tigers. Thats the big ticket

LeagueXIII

First Grade
So they are really the magpies. Just shows how a club can turn things around off the field financially. They were on their knees in 1983/84.

Wb1234

Referee

Wests Ashfield don’t own it. Balmain will own it.

grozzy

Juniors
I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for anything to happen. I don't know the full picture, but it's been a long tale.
Meriton were originally involved at the start.
Then the site was going to be used for a metro station.
Latest was for harbour tunnel construction access.

gallagher

Juniors
Wests own 90 percent of the joint venture. With i think Balmain owing wests a loan which if they don’t pay back wests can take 100 percent.
Yeah, thats the footy club. I was sure they bought the leagues club last year. Could be wrong

YoHadrian

Juniors
The big question is how much bouncing Benny Elias is going to make off the transaction.

167 apartments, i wonder how similiar this development is to the one that got knocked back originally. I think that one was 20 stories.

Last edited:

Bulldog2020

Juniors
Wests Ashfield members have tonight voted to endorse a historic merger with Balmain Leagues Club. This follows Balmain Leagues Club members voting last night to endorse the amalgamation.

The positive vote brings both sides of the Wests Tigers franchise together in a united front that will keep both Clubs’ identities alive while securing the future of the joint venture NRL Club.

After Balmain Leagues Club went into voluntary administration in late 2018, Inner West Mayor Darcy Byrne helped negotiate an agreement with Wests Ashfield to allow Balmain to continue as a partner in Wests Tigers and for a Tigers Leagues Club to be included in the redevelopment of the former Balmain Leagues Club site in Rozelle.

“The merger between both clubs is a historic step that unifies all shareholders in Wests Tigers into the future,” said Mayor Byrne.

“Wests Ashfield deserves enormous credit for developing this agreement, which is commercially advantageous for their Club, keeps the Balmain Tigers alive and unifies Wests Tigers.”

The merger, which has also been endorsed by Heworth, owners of the former Balmain Leagues Club site, includes:

• Balmain Tiger directors remaining on the board of Wests Tigers.
  • The amalgamated club establishing a Tigers Leagues Club within the redevelopment of the Rozelle site.
  • A five-year commitment to provide funding for the Balmain Tigers Rugby League Football Club and Balmain Tigers Junior Rugby League Club.
  • Wests Ashfield accepting responsibility for the outstanding loan repayments that were owed to the NRL by Balmain Tigers.