What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers need quick $1m to survive

Fordy20

Juniors
Tigers need $1M to survive

Wests Tigers need an urgent cash injection of $1 million to survive - something powerful stakeholder Wests Ashfield will only provide in exchange for control of the joint venture's board. Fairfax Media can reveal the embattled club has come to the most critical crossroads of its turbulent history, with the Magpies side of the partnership no longer prepared to provide funding without greater control.

While they steadfastly want to remain in partnership with cash-strapped partners Balmain, Wests have demanded an extra director on a reduced nine or seven-man board and the chairmanship for the next three years in exchange for new funding to remain solvent.

Wests Tigers chairman Mike Bailey - who is also chairman of Wests - said on Monday night: ''I don't know what Balmain's view is today, but we live in hope that good sense will prevail and the need will be recognised for the sort of money we're contributing and that the club can flourish. I would have to say, when you look back over this joint venture, there have been times when we have reached a similar situation.

The difference this time is that we do have a financial problem that needs to be addressed. We have one side, potentially, to address that. The [ARL Commission] understands the situation and they are keen for us to address it. From our point of view, we need to bring this to a head and march on with a more secure financial base.''

Asked when Wests wanted an answer from Balmain, Bailey said: ''We've asked for Balmain to address this by the end of the week. We want to continue, as we always have, in partnership with Balmain despite the problems we have. We have tried to do that in the past. We do get frustrated that we can't address the most pressing problem - the need for finance.''

It is also understood the ARLC recently commissioned an independent report on the governance of the club, which foreshadowed independent directors.

A bemused Balmain chairman Nick Di Girolamo, who is deputy chairman of the joint venture, said his side of the partnership wanted the NRL model pursued.

''The Wests Tigers have been in constant dialogue with [NRL chief executive] Dave Smith in relation to financial stability and best corporate governance practices,'' he said. ''This is not about a short-term quick fix for the Wests Tigers. This is about the longevity of the club. It's about ensuring that we have the best corporate governance in place, which would include the injection of independent directors to cover the breadth of expertise required on club boards to ensure the future viability of the club.

''I say that with no disrespect to the current directors of the Wests Tigers. However, it is quite clear from our discussions with the NRL that we need reform. From a Balmain Tigers perspective, we accept this view.''

Wests are prepared to allow even control again once Balmain becomes stronger financially.
But for now, Wests have asked for the governance change in the wake of growing frustration over Balmain's inability to meet its financial obligations since the closure of Balmain Leagues Club prevented the Tigers from providing investment funds to the club.
Wests Ashfield, which provides the Magpies' funding, has already provided more than $500,000 in short-term loans to the NRL club.

Balmain were unable to make immediate contributions when funds were needed in July last year, with Wests then starting negotiations to alleviate the situation, as allowed under the agreement between the two foundation clubs.

In December, when the required funding had not been received, Wests initiated the change in the club's shareholding to more accurately reflect the financial viability of the two groups, effectively enabling Wests to contribute financial support alone. Balmain rejected this move, along with other short-term changes, without explanation.

Bailey denied the club was on the verge of insolvency.
''I don't think it's a matter of insolvency as a matter of addressing some of the ongoing financial problems going into the future,'' Bailey said. ''Also, that money is to support the junior leagues of both areas. We regard the most important aspect of our business as overcoming financial shortcomings.
''That's why we are trying to move in the way we are.''

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
It is also understood the ARLC recently commissioned an independent report on the governance of the club, which foreshadowed independent directors.

A bemused Balmain chairman Nick Di Girolamo, who is deputy chairman of the joint venture, said his side of the partnership wanted the NRL model pursued.

''The Wests Tigers have been in constant dialogue with [NRL chief executive] Dave Smith in relation to financial stability and best corporate governance practices,'' he said. ''This is not about a short-term quick fix for the Wests Tigers. This is about the longevity of the club. It's about ensuring that we have the best corporate governance in place, which would include the injection of independent directors to cover the breadth of expertise required on club boards to ensure the future viability of the club.

''I say that with no disrespect to the current directors of the Wests Tigers. However, it is quite clear from our discussions with the NRL that we need reform. From a Balmain Tigers perspective, we accept this view.''

So the Balmain side is actually in favour of an independent board?

It's not an unreasonable request. If they are paying all the bills, they should have more of a say until Balmain gets their house in order.

gronkathon

First Grade
Reduce the board to 7.

1 Balmain, 3 West Ashfield, 3 NRL appointees.

Because realistically the NRL puts in the majority of our income

Matchball

Bench
We can thank Benny for this.
He is responsible for the Rozelle site, he had Balmain give it up and invest what they had for planning, council etc.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course they do.

It would mean Balmain wouldn't have to give Wests extra authority.

Of course Wests don't want to because they want more control over WT than Balmain

These dinosaurs need to stop living on past glories and focus on the existence and future of WT.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
These dinosaurs need to stop living on past glories and focus on the existence and future of WT.

As a Balmain supporter with a soft spot for the Magpies I was able to accept the merge perhaps easier than some. I hve to agree though MU I am now a Wests Tiger supporter...move on or move out.

Fordy20

Juniors

Only because Wests Ashfield are pushing for greater representation. If Wests weren't pushing for greater representation those Balmain dinosaurs would be happy riding the carcass of the joint venture into the ground as long as they get to keep their cushy directorships. Good on Wests for pushing Balmain to make the right decision.

Blackdiamond

Juniors
Why do I get the feeling that this is heading in the same way as the Northern Eagles?

Wests Board want control & more presence. The old cronies won't give up until we are playing in only black & white, under the magpie logo & out of Campbeltown. All down to sour grapes from an agreement made 14 years ago??? I will support the West Tigers, but when it becomes the Wests Magpies, they will lose me.

Short memories..... I remember when Balmain had the cash & Magpies were flat broke, yet Balmain but were happy with a 50/50 split? The old cronies will drive this thing to the ground & both teams will be playing only NSW cup. I hope they will be pleased then.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm so over this division.

As I have said before, the majority of the money to run the club is coming through the NRL grant and from sponsorhips and gate receipts ( although no doubt they are down this diabolical year)

Neither side at the moment has the best interests of the club at heart - they are more interested in one upping the other...

I wish both sides would pis off and that the NRL set up an independent board....

BrotherJim05

Bench
I wish both sides would pis off and that the NRL set up an independent board....

Its times like this that I wish I was a billionaire and I could just buy the entire club myself and appoint who I want.

Seems like a stupid statement but it happens to sports clubs all the time. We need one entity to just buy 51% stake hold in the club who is neither Wests or Balmain. The old cronies could sit around blabbing on about dinosaur topics while the 51% stake holder calls all the shots.

macnaz

Staff member
I'm so over this division.

As I have said before, the majority of the money to run the club is coming through the NRL grant and from sponsorhips and gate receipts ( although no doubt they are down this diabolical year)

Neither side at the moment has the best interests of the club at heart - they are more interested in one upping the other...

The division is still present amongst fans , its so f**ked up. :(

gronkathon

First Grade
I am happy for Wests Ashfield to have a greater share of seats.

I just want the NRL to appoint a group to manage us properly.

We blew our initial grant money, we have blown not only our premiership boost but also the opportunities it presented we never capitalised on, we operate out of old facilities with a gym not up to semi pro standards and all the while our board has been squabbling over garbage issues.

That is our problem as a club. When the fan base does it it is unfortunate. When the people running the joint do it it is an abomination

macnaz

Staff member
He killed the Leagues club, our major source of funds.
Yeah, Benny had the clubs best interests at heart.
Read up on it , I couldnt be bothered explaining it to people who arent interested in facts.

Matchball

Bench
What avenues of income does the Balmain side of the venture have besides the now defunct leagues?
I'm interested to know the facts so please explain if you can be bothered.
Read up on it , I couldnt be bothered explaining it to people who arent interested in facts.

TYGA

Juniors
I hope Wests Group takeover the club in terms of control and tip in cash and run the club their way.
We have a major benefactor hamstrung by a weaker partner. As long as we are still the Wests Tigers we should play out of Homebush and follow the Dogs strategy.The club needs to move into the 21st century.

I dont want an independent board would prefer the stronger partner take control than management with no passion in the JV. Give it to them at the next board meeting. we need the degenerate pokie money

Latest posts