What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers sign Blake Austin and Cory Paterson

Fordy20

Juniors
New player signings
Wests Tigers have today signed two players to strengthen its roster for 2014.

Former Australian Schoolboy and Penrith utility Blake Austin has agreed to a two-year deal.

Experienced second-rower Cory Paterson will return to the NRL after signing a one-year deal with the hope of proving his value by the end of next season.

Paterson, 26, is currently playing for Hull KR in the English Super League after previous NRL stints with the Newcastle Knights and Nth Qld Cowboys.

Wests Tigers Coach Mick Potter said both players will be very good additions to the NRL squad.

“At 22, Blake is a player with plenty of potential. He has a wide range of skills and his utility value will add plenty of depth to the squad,’’ Potter said.

“He can cover centre, half, five-eighth and lock and is also an excellent goal kicker.

“Cory is a big strapping back-rower who can break the line and also offload the ball. He is an experienced NRL player who still has plenty to offer.

“He is playing very well for Hull KR but his wife is extremely homesick. Cory is coming back for a chance to re-establish himself in the NRL. His experience will be invaluable to some of our younger back-rowers.”

Blake Austin
DOB: 1/2/1991, Parramatta
Junior Club: Doonside
Position: Centre, half, five-eighth, lock
Height: 187cm
Weight: 98kg
Rep Honours: Nil
NRL Debut: Penrith v Canberra, Canberra Stadium, 27/8/11 (Rd 25)
NRL Career: 15 games, 2 tries, 8 goals, 24 points.

Cory Paterson
DOB: 14/7/1987, Perth
Junior Club: South Perth Lions
Position: Second Row
Height: 195cm, Weight: 101kg
Rep Honours: Indigenous All Stars (2010-12)
Previous Clubs: Newcastle (2007-11), North Queensland Cowboys (2011-12), Hull KR (2013)

NRL Debut: Newcastle v St George Illawarra, WIN Jubilee, Rd 2, 23/3/2007
NRL Career: 87 games, 26 tries, 12 goals, 128 points.
Hull KR: 14 games, 5 tries, 20 points.
Career: 101 games, 31 tries, 12 goals, 148 points.

The official announcement of the rumours spoken about in the Blake Austin thread.

Last edited:

magpie guy

Juniors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LfGnqD4Pak

Footy show interview with Austin. Looks like he can kick goals and has some skills for 5/8. Might make a really handy bench utility or halves partner for Brooks. Could share 5/8 and backrow duties with Siro. Certainly looks a better option than Anasta :roll:

Paterson highlights. Looks to hit hard in defence and be a fairly damaging edge running second row with an offload. Long as he can put his hand up for some of the tough hitups and keeps his nose clean off the field looks to be a decent buy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_EXgHPdrkM

Edit - importantly...its looks like both of these guys can kick goals. Gives us more options than just Pat Richards for kicking duties.

Last edited:

JoeyFish

Juniors
I like these signings. We all know there is no marquee talent available for next year, and we have recruited these two players in positions we actually need. Paterson on a one year deal to prove his worth would have been cheap

The Rosco

Bench
I'm a bit concerned at all this talk of players with "offloads".
I don't think it's good footy business to bring in players who wish to try such new and innovative things here at WT.
We have gotten along just fine for many years with no such thing as offloads in our game plan. :roll:
If you can't win a game by making a blind side play from a scrum win, or by running at the markers all day, then frankly the game doesn't deserve to be won. I'm yet to see an offload land in row 17, so it's going to be a bit foreign to us isn't it?.
Stem cell research, life on Mars and offloads. It's all a bit too futuristic for me and the Weststigers thanks.
Let's just stick with what we know works for us.
Offloads. Pfftt !.

magpie guy

Juniors
I don't think it's good footy business to bring in players who wish to try such new and innovative things here at WT.
We have gotten along just fine for many years with no such thing as offloads in our game plan. :roll:
If you can't win a game by making a blind side play from a scrum win, or by running at the markers all day, then frankly the game doesn't deserve to be won. I'm yet to see an offload land in row 17, so it's going to be a bit foreign to us isn't it?.
Stem cell research, life on Mars and offloads. It's all a bit too futuristic for me and the Weststigers thanks.
Offloads. Pfftt !.

:lol::lol::lol:

You have to feel for these poor buggers that have just signed with WT,they must think WTF have i got myself in for !

magpie_man

Juniors
Offloads. Pfftt !.

brilliant. bravo