What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers Sign Halfback Josh Lewis for 2009

N.C.

Juniors
I don't think Head has been given his time to shine and it will be a fair loss to the club when he dumps us... That said I'm glad to see another decent half-back signed, regardless of whether this means Head's days are now a little more numbered.

Mish

Juniors
Turns out Lewis isn't signed with WT anyway, he was signed for Balmain, he will be playing in state cup

The Rosco

Bench
In this morning's Sydney Daily Telegraph, there was a snippet about Shines's intentions of putting Benji in the 7 shirt next season. It went on to say how it was pointless just throwing him in such an important position without some serious coaching first.
I nearly coughed/sprayed my cornflakes and milk all over the paper.

So maybe Lewis better bulk up for a second row spot.

christopher

Juniors
http://www.qrl.com.au/display.php?pg_id=4002

A DESIRE to be near family and friends has lured Ipswich Jets and Gold Coast Titans playmaker Josh Lewis back home to the Wests Tigers.

The Tigers will be Lewis’s third NRL club in four years and the Balmain junior hopes his friendship with Benji Marshall, struck from their junior days, will help him nail a regular NRL spot.

“I’m not sure where they will play Benji, whether it’s at half or five-eighth, but I’m mates with him and he lives with my best friend so hopefully we can gel easily,” Lewis said today.

“Most of my family and friends are back in Sydney and I think I can be more settled and able to focus on football down there.”

Lewis, who received interest from several other clubs, has played solely for the Ipswich Jets this season, helping the Kevin Walters coached side to number one spot on the table.

He admits to feeling some disappointment at not receiving an NRL call up this year.

“I thought I would get more opportunities (for the Gold Coast Titans), but the team has been going great for most of the season so it’s hard to get a look in,” Lewis said.

“My time at Ipswich has been really good though. I’ve learnt a lot from Kevvie as he was a former half and that has helped my game out.”

Walters said Lewis, who played 11 games for the Titans in 2007, has more than enough talent to nail a regular NRL spot.

“He has improved a lot in his time here. His kicking game has been one of the reasons we have won so many this year,” Walters said.

“He has always had a lot of talent but he hasn’t got those opportunities with the Gold Coast this year.”

Ability is certainly dripping from Lewis’s frame, as anyone who watched him dismantle the Easts Tigers in last year’s playoffs would know.

He mixed perfect kicking with brilliant passing to single-handedly lead the Jets to an 18-16 win over Easts in the first week of the Wizard Cup finals.

However, Lewis has yet to string good performances together and the Titans look set to stick with Tweed Heads halfback Brad Davis as Scott Prince’s replacement for the rest of the year.

Lewis’s contract with the Tigers is for two years, but he will remain with the Jets for the rest of this season.

By Chris Garry

July 10 – 2008

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Balmain junior, Lewis is returning to the Tigers on a one-year deal

Lewis’s contract with the Tigers is for two years

Can I have three years anyone, three years, three years, anyone for three years.....

macnaz

Staff member
Who really cares what players we buy, the dickhead coach will only play them out of position and if they are any good he wont play them at all.

b&wdynamite

Juniors
Apparently. No source link though......

I read in the Gold Coast Bulletin that Josh Lewis was "heading to Wests Tigers" for next season. I have been overseas for a couple of years, so is this the same Josh Lewis prodigy from the Roosters, who then went to St George? (last of my memory before I left)

If true, what sort of signing is he? Good for first grade? Covering someone who is going to depart? Or just another back-up for Benji?

Thoughts?

Ram Man

Juniors
After watching the QLD Cup Grand Final on Saturday, I am not sure if this is such a good investment.
Disgusting kicking game (Out on the full twice, both from inside his own 40 at crucial stages), constantly panicking with the ball in hand. Took every wrong option available and couldnt handle the pressure at all!
Was under pressure going for Field Goals late in the game on the 4th tackle and was constantly trying to snap them off even though he had zero hope of landing them.
I also remember him going for a field goal when he was playing for Newtown in the 2006 Grand Final. I think he had a pot shot from a good 70m out!
Could be another long season for the Tigers searching for a decent Number 7!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know how much you can read into that performance because he's been in red hot form all season long up here. I've watched a fair few of his games, and usually his kicking is quite astute, it's not big, but he manages to land the ball in open space a lot when kicking long which is good, and his passing and organising is usually fairly clean. He does have a habit of trying to take on too much of the workload, but I think that comes down solely on the fact that there aren't real play makers in the side, so he feels inclined to do too much all the time.

Some times it pays off and he looks a million dollars, others...well you saw the grand final.

I think if he were to play first grade, he wouldn't have as much pressure on him to make everything happen, especially while he has Marshall and Farah around him. So long as he can kick into open spaces and make their backs turn around to get the ball, that will help us immensely. Farah organises the forwards so Lewis would have the easier task of looking after the backs, leaving Benji free to do his own thing, which is the best way for Benji to play.

In saying all that, I doubt Lewis will be playing first grade much at all.

Ram Man

Juniors
I don't know how much you can read into that performance because he's been in red hot form all season long up here. I've watched a fair few of his games, and usually his kicking is quite astute, it's not big, but he manages to land the ball in open space a lot when kicking long which is good, and his passing and organising is usually fairly clean. He does have a habit of trying to take on too much of the workload, but I think that comes down solely on the fact that there aren't real play makers in the side, so he feels inclined to do too much all the time.

Some times it pays off and he looks a million dollars, others...well you saw the grand final.

I think if he were to play first grade, he wouldn't have as much pressure on him to make everything happen, especially while he has Marshall and Farah around him. So long as he can kick into open spaces and make their backs turn around to get the ball, that will help us immensely. Farah organises the forwards so Lewis would have the easier task of looking after the backs, leaving Benji free to do his own thing, which is the best way for Benji to play.

In saying all that, I doubt Lewis will be playing first grade much at all.

Yeah I know he went well during the year.
But it wasnt like he had to make all the decisions and do all the kicking on his own. The Jets also had Ian Lacey and Michael Ryan who are more than capable of directing a team and handling the kicking duties.
He does have a massive boot and can have a good kicking game but I just thought he failed to grab the game by the scruff of the neck when it counted. Especially for a player with NRL experience. But hey thats just IMO. And I was just wonder if he was really worth the investment given all of the above and the fact that he really wont be playing much NRL. (not that he will be on massive dollars)

Ram Man

Juniors
same could be said about Matty Head I guess

:lol: Absolutely.
Its just unfortunate the Tigers cannot find a decent half to complement Benji and Farah.
I love watching the Tigers play but loathe that John Morris is considered an NRL footballer...its embarrasing really :?