What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Sheens set to sue the Tigers for $1.5m

Charlie124

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...6918484009?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+bi_rss

TIM Sheens has reportedly pushed ahead with legal action against the Wests Tigers, filing a claim that could cost the club as much as $1.5 million.

According to a Fairfax report, Sheens ‘ case against the Tigers will be heard in Supreme Court on December 8 after it was set down for hearing on Tuesday.

The court documents filed by Sheens’ legal team reportedly demand “the full value of his remuneration entitlements under the terms of the contract of employment from 1 July 2013 until the expiry of the term of his employment”.

When Sheens was sacked at the end of the 2012 season he was coaching under a contract that was due to expire at the end of this season.

Sheens was on an estimated salary of $450,000 and was last paid by the Tigers in July last year.

The Kangaroos mentor is also seeking “damages for loss of opportunity to earn bonus payments under the contract of employment”, “damages for breach and repudiation of the contract of employment” and “damages for loss of enhancement of repudiation”, as well as costs.

According to the report, Sheens’ legal team will argue that the four-time premiership-winning coach is entitled to a payout of between $1.25 million and $1.5 million

Iafeta

Referee
Question - how can you continue to earn coin from your employee when you've been sacked for gross under-performance?

shiznit

Coach
Fair enough in my opinion.

I do feel for the tigers as they are obviously trying to move on from the sheens era.

And they have a good coach in potter.

But the tigers were the ones who wrote the contract.

I also think it's a bit of a bad look that they stopped paying sheens the money he was due when they are currently putting their foot down with the dragons with Benji's compensation payment.

A bit messy for the tigers.

gronkathon

First Grade
Wait and see what the Wests Tigers present in terms of a defence.

Remember they offered him a different role in the club at the same rate of pay which he refused and walked out of that meeting.

Many different things to come out I would imagine

shiznit

Coach
Question - how can you continue to earn coin from your employee when you've been sacked for gross under-performance?
Not unless you have key performance targets written in to his contract.

I'm assuming the fact that he's suing them indicates there wasn't.

It was the right move by the tigers though... In respect to sacking him.

They just need to pay him what he's due.

Iafeta

Referee
KPIs are one thing - I guess it would also come down to if the bloke was taken through a correct performance management process - written warnings etc. Otherwise they'd have to agree on a deed of release which would include a pay out figure.

oikee

Juniors
Hopefully after Sheensey gets his money this will be the last of the dirty laundry for this club.
The Sharks and Tigers have both been run poorly, shame really, such great brand names. Everyone loves tigers and sharks.

Iafeta

Referee
I'm sure the lawyers are smart enough to sign an indemnity clause into the terms and conditions surrounding that advice.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm sure the lawyers are smart enough to sign an indemnity clause into the terms and conditions surrounding that advice.

Yep.. no doubt.

I'm also pretty sure that Sheens is cluey enough not to sign a contract that means that if things dont work out mid term, then the Tigers can offer him a job in the mail room or cleaning toilets at the ground instead..

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...6918484009?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+bi_rss

TIM Sheens has reportedly pushed ahead with legal action against the Wests Tigers, filing a claim that could cost the club as much as $1.5 million.

According to a Fairfax report, Sheens ? case against the Tigers will be heard in Supreme Court on December 8 after it was set down for hearing on Tuesday.

The court documents filed by Sheens? legal team reportedly demand ?the full value of his remuneration entitlements under the terms of the contract of employment from 1 July 2013 until the expiry of the term of his employment?.

When Sheens was sacked at the end of the 2012 season he was coaching under a contract that was due to expire at the end of this season.

Sheens was on an estimated salary of $450,000 and was last paid by the Tigers in July last year.

The Kangaroos mentor is also seeking ?damages for loss of opportunity to earn bonus payments under the contract of employment?, ?damages for breach and repudiation of the contract of employment? and ?damages for loss of enhancement of repudiation?, as well as costs.

According to the report, Sheens? legal team will argue that the four-time premiership-winning coach is entitled to a payout of between $1.25 million and $1.5 million

The Tigers should agree so long as Sheens agrees to repay the club every dollar they spent on players who were released and playing at other clubs (Gibbs, Fifita etc etc)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
oh god i can already see this playing out like a bad dream...

sheens wants money off the tigers for coaching..

tigers want money off the dragons for benji..

dragons want a new coach.

deal is struck to appease everyone: dragons appoint sheens as coach, nobody owes anyone any money..