What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Smith > Jeff Robson

Craig Johnston

First Grade
if they built a new bridge over the parramatta river, it should be named after tim smith, a few of yous need it.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
yeah! because those pin point accurate kicks and cut out passes to the likes of Folau, Hodges and Yow Yeh wont threaten anyone. :sarcasm:

Exactly........

Tim Smith has a lot of unfinished business. It was not a fluke he played so well during the 2005 NRL season. You have to be VERY GOOD to dismantle opposition teams week after week for almost the whole 2005 season.

This kind of talent just doesn't disappear overnight unless brain damage, severe physical/mental disability/amputation occurs.

Tim (and management & others for not providing guidance and protection) made the mistake of mixing in with the wrong crowd leading to ego problems and alcohol abuse leading inevitably to his BETWEEN-THE-EARS down-fall.

Tim should have been looked after between-the-ears by the elders around him. He was being labelled a superstar, the next Peter Sterling during 2005... Don't you think with that kind of weekly/daily pressure and expectation should have come a huge effort from the mature ones in the Eels camp to keep Timmy grounded and to keep at a distance those with a bad influence who could undermine their proclaimed superstar????

Gees, in other sports they look after racehorses and greyhounds proclaimed as superstars a lot better than the Eels camp did with Tim Smith.

Tim is an Eels nightmare waiting to revisit the Eels. If Tim sorts out what he was thinking and feeling between-the-ears (those feelings and thoughts he acted on) which brought about his undoing, and gets rid of them, then he will arrive back at where he was (those feelings and thoughts he acted on) before he fell from the very-high standards he set during 2005.

I tried hard to get Tim back to the Eels. In time...... many an Eel will regret ever letting Timmy down and not bringing him back into their fold when they had the chance to do so last year.

lingard

Coach
Wow there is so much wrong with this post it's not funny.

Saying he was a one year wonder is just plain wrong. He was coming good at the end of 2006 before he was injured and in 2007 he was behind only Thurston for try assists in 2007 and a huge part of the late season surge. As for early 2008 can you tell me how the rest of the team was going? As for his "underwhelming form" in the UK yes he was playing for Wigan reserves but why did you leave out the fact he won numerous man of the match awards near the end of his stint?

I seem to recall Eric Grothe Jr having an armful of tattoos and a less than stellar 2008 and he was one of the best performers of 2009.

If you think Robson is a better choice then you are entitled to your opinion but it's pretty obvious you're leaving out all the facts because you have a personal dislike for Tim Smith.

Personally, I'll reserve my judgment and only time will tell if we made the correct decision.

I reckon he was only a six month wonder!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Exactly........

Tim Smith has a lot of unfinished business. It was not a fluke he played so well during the 2005 NRL season. You have to be VERY GOOD to dismantle opposition teams week after week for almost the whole 2005 season.

This kind of talent just doesn't disappear overnight unless brain damage, severe physical/mental disability/amputation occurs.

Tim (and management & others for not providing guidance and protection) made the mistake of mixing in with the wrong crowd leading to ego problems and alcohol abuse leading inevitably to his BETWEEN-THE-EARS down-fall.

Tim should have been looked after between-the-ears by the elders around him. He was being labelled a superstar, the next Peter Sterling during 2005... Don't you think with that kind of weekly/daily pressure and expectation should have come a huge effort from the mature ones in the Eels camp to keep Timmy grounded and to keep at a distance those with a bad influence who could undermine their proclaimed superstar????

Gees, in other sports they look after racehorses and greyhounds proclaimed as superstars a lot better than the Eels camp did with Tim Smith.

Tim is an Eels nightmare waiting to revisit the Eels. If Tim sorts out what he was thinking and feeling between-the-ears (those feelings and thoughts he acted on) which brought about his undoing, and gets rid of them, then he will arrive back at where he was (those feelings and thoughts he acted on) before he fell from the very-high standards he set during 2005.

I tried hard to get Tim back to the Eels. In time...... many an Eel will regret ever letting Timmy down and not bringing him back into their fold when they had the chance to do so last year.

my god Casper, that's some of the funniest sh*t I've ever read...lol

lingard

Coach
Exactly........

You`re dead wrong, Casper: the sporting world, the music world, the acting world, the art world, the world of literature - almost every field of human endeavour - is littered with 'one season wonders', 'one hit wonders', 'one movie wonders', 'one book wonders' etc, etc, etc. There are many reasons, but generally it`s a lack of application.
And you tried hard to get Smith back to the club? What did you do?

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
my god Casper, that's some of the funniest sh*t I've ever read...lol

Inject nasty hormones into a cow you one day eat, the nasty hormones become part of you...

The truth hurts......... garbage in................ garbage out........

We are all responsible to a duty of care....... unfortunately, and on many fronts, many are asleep at the wheel....

Laugh as much as it pleases you Stagger,
only make sure that from where you are laughing
is not a space of darkness caused by
an
inexorable eclipse of conscience that betrays you.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
come on - the older mature ones took tim under their wing - mark riddell :sarcasm:

bartman

Immortal
Wow there is so much wrong with this post it's not funny.

Saying he was a one year wonder is just plain wrong. He was coming good at the end of 2006 before he was injured and in 2007 he was behind only Thurston for try assists in 2007 and a huge part of the late season surge.
Sure he was...
As for early 2008 can you tell me how the rest of the team was going? As for his "underwhelming form" in the UK yes he was playing for Wigan reserves but why did you leave out the fact he won numerous man of the match awards near the end of his stint?
The rest of the team was going crap too, in no small part imo due to the impact of having their major playmaker show that he had no mental toughness in that off-season.... Yes, Tim won two man of the match awards in 18 months in England - the fact he was dumped to reserves and then ultimately squeezed out by some 20 year old shows that he has never regained the consistency that is so vital for survival in NRL.

If you think Robson is a better choice then you are entitled to your opinion but it's pretty obvious you're leaving out all the facts because you have a personal dislike for Tim Smith.

Personally, I'll reserve my judgment and only time will tell if we made the correct decision.
I don't dislike Tim Smith because I've never met him. I have a personal opinion that the sun doesn't (and never did) shine out of his arse as much as is made out on these forums. ;-)

2005 is a long time ago now that it's 2010... No need to reserve judgement to see what has been there all along pan out again - he won't be consistent enough to make first grade at the Broncos, nothing to worry ourselves about, end of story.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
You`re dead wrong, Casper: the sporting world, the music world, the acting world, the art world, the world of literature - almost every field of human endeavour - is littered with 'one season wonders', 'one hit wonders', 'one movie wonders', 'one book wonders' etc, etc, etc. There are many reasons, but generally it`s a lack of application.
And you tried hard to get Smith back to the club? What did you do?

Hi Lingard
Since when have you become my judge, jury and executioner???...... That I should offer up everything I do privately, at my own discretion, when you demand it???

Lets just say that everything I have done to bring Timmy back was without harm, that no one was harmed by my actions and that only good intentions were behind everything I did for Tim, the Eels club and all Eels fans.

I also disagree that Tim was just a one year wonder. A 24 cylinder high performance engine only works as well as the service (the duty of care) provided. A football club (a community of men, women, children) forsaking its duty of care to ALL its members will offer up weeds of chaos springing forth through tiny cracks of negligence, denial, arrogance and a lack of vigilance. It only takes one to be the crack causing the wall (the shield that is the duty of care) to one-day collapse upon everyone behind it.

i think some of you are being a bit harsh on jeff robson in this thread lets not forget he still hasnt cracked 30 games of first grade yet and was thrown in the deep end playing a critical position in a grand final maybe he did get overawed by the occasion but who can blame him? it will be interesting to see how he performs this year with kris keating also competing for a halves spot will he step up a notch or go into his shell?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jeff Robson to play a lot of 14 this year, not 7

agree, Robo will be our Kinga/PJ this year and I think he can do as good a job..

that is offcourse if Humble doesn't jump out of the blocks which I suspect he could very well do.

strider

Post Whore
i like robo - he's a great defender - he's got a level head - but I just don't think he's got enough spark to be a top half, and i'd rather see others get a shot

Humble is good but he will obviously start from behind the pack....unless he has a corker of a pre season/trials and demands to be picked.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
are u causing trouble again casper

Hi Raudonikis.
If I was doing harm as in causing a wound I would be causing trouble but all I am doing is healing wounds, doing no harm in the process, yet moderators claim otherwise....... They are claiming my simple clear reply to Stagger Eel is hijacking this thread. I have challenged them to come forward with incontrovertible evidence to back such claims. If they can't I have insisted they restore these posts in this thread and remove the 10 point infractions Casper received....

Latest posts