What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for ICC to revist chucking issue

Doctor

Bench
http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/FEB/070004_WCI_17FEB2004.html

Bob Simpson, former Australian coach and member of the ICC's investigations into chucking a few years back, has slammed the ICC's current handling of chucking in cricket.

I have to agree with him. The ICC must find a way to address the younger bowlers with dodgy actions before they reach international level - a long way before.

You do this by removing dodgy actions from international cricket - then they don't have any illegal actions by heroes to aspire to and mimic.

You cannot have a serious discussion about chucking without mentioning the name: Muralidaran. How the man has gone this time without being required to change his action is beyond me, and a joke.
In all fairness to the fellow, and with every amount of diplomacy and reason: He chucks. By definition he chucks.

What we, as a cricket-following public, are now faced with is the prospect of having a bowler with an illegal action leading the all-time wicket-takers list. It is no longer an isolated problem to one country - clearly there is a prescendent there for bowlers to mimic the action and get away with such blatant disregard for the laws of the game.

There is no equivalent of Muralidaran's action - it gets to a point where his action is so outrageously suspect that the team officials can continue the line that 'his arm does not straighten - it is impossible'. The problem is that the law specifically says that you cannot straighten your arm partially or fully.

The chucking issue will continue to be dodged while soever there is a need to keep developing cricket nations interested in the game. Politics play a large part, unfortunately.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
You can bowl with a bent arm. You can't straighten it during the delivery.

Simple. Anyone who does straighten is gooooorn.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I read tthe article in the paper, and Simmo makes a good point.

If Murili was pinged for chucking, there would be a revolution in Sri Lanka.

I believe he starts with a bent arm, them straightens it as he rolls his wrist over to get the extra spin.

But my opinion does not count, as I am not in the panel, and he will continue to get away with it.

We have already argued this one to death, but I appreciate what Simmo says. Hopefully some one will take notice of it.

salivor

First Grade
The annoying part here is that Malcom Speed, the ICC CEO completely dodged around most of Simpsons comments. Simpson said that high profile players were getting let off and Speed says: "In the past 12 months three players - Jermaine Lawson, Sanwar Hossain, and Shabbir Ahmed - have [been cited] which is an indication of the attention that is being paid to bowlers' actions by ICC umpires and referees around the world." With respect to those players mentioned, they are not high profile. Speed knows damn well Simpson is referring to Murli and Shoaib, the ICC as usual lacks any balls to deal with the tough issues, instead they let themselves be bullied and dogged by politics.

Doctor

Bench
salivor said:
The annoying part here is that Malcom Speed, the ICC CEO completely dodged around most of Simpsons comments. Simpson said that high profile players were getting let off and Speed says: "In the past 12 months three players - Jermaine Lawson, Sanwar Hossain, and Shabbir Ahmed - have [been cited] which is an indication of the attention that is being paid to bowlers' actions by ICC umpires and referees around the world." With respect to those players mentioned, they are not high profile. Speed knows damn well Simpson is referring to Murli and Shoaib, the ICC as usual lacks any balls to deal with the tough issues, instead they let themselves be bullied and dogged by politics.

Indeed. It is typical P.R spin by picking up on a few peripheral topics within the question, fluffing about them for a few minutes and then concluding with a statement that has little relevance to the original question - it shows a lack of substance to the ICC's argument.

I also disagree with the accompanying notion that umpires and referees are paying close attention - yes they are paying close attention, but they know full well the ramifications of actually putting their mental attention into an official report against a player.

No player, umpire or administrator should be allowed to be above the game - unfortunately the star-status of Muralidaran especially, hinders any real movement in the direction of cleaning up the bowling actions of high profile players.

The damage is done to cricket - you cannot change the record books unfortunately.

Macca

Coach
It will get out of hand too. The ICC had there chance when he was no balled a few years back and they bowed to the political side of it. There is no doubt that this guy chucks and in future there will be more and more like him. I don't recognise one wicket taken by him as it was achieved via cheating. Warney was given a suspension for one year for taking a bloody dieuretic, for god's sake. This guy has an unfair advantage and gets a way with it because he comes from a third world country. It really get's my goat.

Life goes on though. We will still beat em anyway.

ozbash

Referee
""Warney was given a suspension for one year for taking a bloody dieuretic, for god's sake.""

it wasnt for gods sake, it was for warnes sake.
the diuretic was used to mask a drug he had taken, in all probability a performance enhancing drug.
were you one of the many sucked in by his b/s excuse ?

warnie (bless his heart) should have been banned for 2 years, that was the minimum,, the max was life.
he got away with 12 months..
now, you dont have to be a rocket scientist ( or a cronulla fan ) to work out that every fan of cricket was shafted by the ICC when they let warnie off the hook.
the ICC, in fact, gave liscence for illegal drug use...

and you have the cheek to whinge about a bowling action.. check out brett lee,,, chucka if ever i saw one.

Iafeta

Referee
Shabbir Ahmed and Robin Peterson are pie chuckers. Shoaib Akhter, absolutely not. The action is clean. It may not have been in the past, but during his tour of New Zealand it was poetry in motion.

I actually looked closely at Murali the other day. I'm not convinced he is a chucker. It happens so quickly its hard to judge. I also think people are thrown off by the different and quick wrist flick. Honestly, I'm not convinced. I think if he's been cleared by random cameras, and just from my own quick visual, I think its just unique and consistently bent. Can't believe I'm sticking up for Murali.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think the point that Simmo is trying to make is that Murili gets away with it because he's Murili.

And yet if a young gun somewhere had the same action, they would be reported.

He makes a good point, and we don't need to keep revisitng the Murili thing, as it gets boring.

Meth

Staff member
"Back in Australia, when he first got called, he bowled a few leggies after that. He must be able to bowl leggies as well. He's probably just chucking that one in - sorry - putting that one in as well."

Ricky Ponting talks to Sydney Morning Herald about Muralitharan's new delivery

:lol:

Macca

Coach
ozbash said:
""Warney was given a suspension for one year for taking a bloody dieuretic, for god's sake.""

the diuretic was used to mask a drug he had taken, in all probability a performance enhancing drug.

warnie (bless his heart) should have been banned for 2 years, that was the minimum,, the max was life.
now, you dont have to be a rocket scientist ( or a cronulla fan ) to work out that every fan of cricket was shafted by the ICC when they let warnie off the hook.

and you have the cheek to whinge about a bowling action.. check out brett lee,,, chucka if ever i saw one.

How typical, another goose rewriting history. Prove it Ozbash or shit in it.

Doctor

Bench
I just don't think you can legitimately ask one bowler to change his action when another, more high-profile player from a sensitive country, is clearly breaking the laws of the game with every delivery.

Grant Flower has been looked at, Geoff Foley, Akhtar, Lee, a whole series of lesser-known Pakistanis, James Kirtley from England, so too some West Indians.

Yet 8 years after Muralidaran's initial chucking call, he still remains in the game. What is worse: Warne using a masking agent and playing only a handful of matches, or Muralidaran bowling nearly 30,000 illegal deliveries, taking 485 wickets from them and getting away with it?

I make no excuse for Warne's stupidity, but surely there comes a time when the laws of the game are enforced and not dilly-dallied around to accomodate for a player from a sensitive country?

Azkatro

First Grade
You guys will never let go, will you. Did you ever stop to think about the fact that Hair & Emerson's no-ball calls were probably THE most politically motivated actions of the entire debarcle? The ICC did react on it, even before this happened - there were numerous independent studies of his actions and all of them cleared the bowler. What else do you want the ICC to go on? If they were to ban Murali and scratch all of his records, then THAT would be politically motivated, because all the enquiries we've seen on his action have cleared him.

ozbash

Referee
McSharkie said:
ozbash said:

How typical, another goose rewriting history. Prove it Ozbash or sh*t in it.

its only a goose rewriting history if you happen to be australian..

the rest of us see warne for what he is,, a cheat.