What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Parramatta to release shackles

born an eel

Bench
I think its blindingly obvious that we need to change the coach. I think JT is the man we should pick for the job. But, Kearney has done some good work in recruiting and blooding young players, and I'd hate to think we destroyed his career, so we should give him so other role at the Eels.
i wonder if Kenny's maintanance role has been filled yet.

if he has been a member for 3 years there is also a vacancy on the board.
:sarcasm:

Agent Mulder

Bench
Taylor, Anderson, Kenny, any player from Went as captain/coach, Folkes. All could do better than what we are putting up with now.

The only coach Kearney can be compared to is Paul Langmack.

Didn't Souths sign Langmack for 3 years after they lost there first two games and had a fluke 16all draw with the Broncos?

yy_cheng

Coach
But JT, Poo poo knows more than you and although, he is someone who has never coached a NRL team, what he has said in the past implies that you are wrong. You should coach structure and not to the playing team's strengths.

Poo Poo also has said that the gameplan allows us to throw the ball around in the opposition half but not in our own territory. So those last 2 tries were not part of the gameplan.

All Hail Poo Poo

Taylor mentions why I consider Hasler to be the best current coach.

You have to fit a game plan around your playing staff
NOT
Fit your playing staff around a game plan.

If SK realized this he wouldn't be in the quandry he finds himself in now.

I suppose it his harder to it Hasler's way ... but it will ALWAYS lead to better results.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think its blindingly obvious that we need to change the coach. I think JT is the man we should pick for the job. But, Kearney has done some good work in recruiting and blooding young players, and I'd hate to think we destroyed his career, so we should give him so other role at the Eels.

Brilliant analysis from Jason Taylor. The sooner we can arrange for him to be on the Parramatta coaching staff the better off we will be.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Taylor mentions why I consider Hasler to be the best current coach.

You have to fit a game plan around your playing staff
NOT
Fit your playing staff around a game plan.

If SK realized this he wouldn't be in the quandry he finds himself in now.

I suppose it his harder to it Hasler's way ... but it will ALWAYS lead to better results.

Depends on whether your goal is short term success or long term success. I actually think it's easier to fit a game plan to fit the squad you have and get some decent, yet unspectacular results in the short term. The problem there is that if you continue taking that approach, then you'll probably just continue to get decent, yet unspectacular results indefinitely.

Now, IF you have the right game plan, then training the squad (and recruiting appropriately) to fit that plan is more difficult and will make it very difficult to get good results in the short term, but IF done properly, can get you strong results in the long run.

Unfortunately, those are big IFs and as far as SK is concerned, it is too early to make a call on the first IF (is the game plan a good one for long term success). I don't think we've had a chance to witness the long term game plan as the focus seems to be on getting the fundamentals right first. As with Des at Manly, the touted 5 years is probably about the right length of time to have everything in place. As for the second IF (if done properly) again it is too early to make a call. At first glance, you may make assumptions about the long term game plan and question the recruitment strategy in the halves, but I repeat, I don't think we've even had a glimpse of the long term game plan.

Suitman

Post Whore
Depends on whether your goal is short term success or long term success. I actually think it's easier to fit a game plan to fit the squad you have and get some decent, yet unspectacular results in the short term. The problem there is that if you continue taking that approach, then you'll probably just continue to get decent, yet unspectacular results indefinitely.

Now, IF you have the right game plan, then training the squad (and recruiting appropriately) to fit that plan is more difficult and will make it very difficult to get good results in the short term, but IF done properly, can get you strong results in the long run.

Unfortunately, those are big IFs and as far as SK is concerned, it is too early to make a call on the first IF (is the game plan a good one for long term success). I don't think we've had a chance to witness the long term game plan as the focus seems to be on getting the fundamentals right first. As with Des at Manly, the touted 5 years is probably about the right length of time to have everything in place. As for the second IF (if done properly) again it is too early to make a call. At first glance, you may make assumptions about the long term game plan and question the recruitment strategy in the halves, but I repeat, I don't think we've even had a glimpse of the long term game plan.

Great post, and I totally agree.
But let's sack him anyway. Let's bring in Jim Dymock for the short term fix.

Suity

Parra

Referee

What the hell is the "long run"?

There is a comp every single year and a grand final at the end of the comp.

The aim is to win that Grand Final. Thinking any longer than two seasons away is in the "dreaming" category. It is useless and it is not going to happen. Even sides who win one will struggle. There is no "long term".

mickdo

Coach
Great post, and I totally agree.
But let's sack him anyway. Let's bring in Jim Dymock for the short term fix.

Suity

Better have someone lined up to take over from Dymock as well, and then the guy after that

Parra

Referee
Better have someone lined up to take over from Dymock as well, and then the guy after that

Until we find a coach that gets the team to the GF. And then sack him as well.

If only talking the talk put points on the table SK would be a supercoach.

I think the important point you made was "is the game plan a good one for long term success". SK can have the best game plan and ideas and be working towards them for 2-5 years time, but the way the NRL changes so quickly, the perfect game plan for 2012 could be redundant come 2014.

Eels Dude

Coach

The aim is to win that Grand Final. Thinking any longer than two seasons away is in the "dreaming" category. It is useless and it is not going to happen. Even sides who win one will struggle. There is no "long term".

That's correct. Too early to tell? Well what we can tell is that in the past 18 months we've moved backwards rather than forwards and if that is not a sign of the plan not working than what is?

eloquentEEL

First Grade

Thinking that any coach or game plan will get us a grand final win either this year or next is in the "dreaming" category a la Steve Bradbury / Tigers circa 2005. Would love to see a fairy tale year but it won't happen. The only chance a new coach has of immediate success is when they inherit a strong squad with an Immortal level player, and even then they have to have a bit of luck go their way. The rest take a few years to build up to it, and along the way instil a culture that will keep the team competitive with a good chance of repeat success in the next few seasons.

born an eel

Bench
I think the important point you made was "is the game plan a good one for long term success". SK can have the best game plan and ideas and be working towards them for 2-5 years time, but the way the NRL changes so quickly, the perfect game plan for 2012 could be redundant come 2014.
that's what I can't understand, there is not a simple gameplan that will guarantee results, as the attack changes , the defense catches up. Exactly where we are at now, defenses can handle the predictable attack easily.

Lets be innovators of the next "style" of play, not followers of previous styles.

To be acurate there is not even one gameplan that will last a season, each individual game should have it's own.

Suitman

Post Whore

Who in the hell, besides you, said anything about the game plan being the same in 5 years time? FMD.

Suity