What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to go back to 14 teams

offside ref

Juniors
I think it's a valied point I infact agree. Not sure about the storm or even sharks I'd merge teams Parra panthers sharks dragons would all be in danger. Not just about results but in terms of getting less Sydney teams.
Or get rid of the warriors and gold coast I think of all the teams these ones are the most likely outside of Sydney.

Suitman

Post Whore
Can something be done to prevent hindy111 starting threads???

Honestly, it's about the 100th 1star quality thread in the last month.

Advice: THINK before you post. Then write down (by hand) what you planned to post on a noteapd. Tear page off notepad. Put page in rubbish bin.
There, you've saved us all a few otherwise wasted moments of our lives.

Cue Bart's sage advice.

hindy111

Post Whore
Hey so this is what it feel like to be ganged up on hey Pou?- Like a pack of little maltese terriers use are...Maybe i'll stick to 2014 team threads so use can all play supercoach

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
For the record I also think 14 teams is about the right number. However, rather than punting the Storm and the Sharks I think that all of the teams should go through an "It's a Knockout" Style competition in the off season.

A club of origin knockout series.
Now this will spruce up the life of tragic Eels fans.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There's no way the NRL are going to reduce team numbers, if anything expansion is still on the table.

In my opinion we need to get a national reserves grade sytem back in place, and make this competition secondary to the NRL, not a third string park footy competition like it is now. The NYC concept is fine, but it is too big of a jump from NYC to NRL for most players. NYC players have an attitude that going from that competition to the NSW cup is a demotion rather than the promotion it should be. Away from the big stage, away from the cameras and lights, away from the pre-NRL crowd, off to Ringrose Park in front of a couple of hundred people is hardly something for these young players to aspire to. "Put me straight into 1st grade coach or I'll sign with Manly".

Sad but true. And the only way to have a genuine reserve grade (with genuine adults capable of playing NRL if they have to) is to increase the size of the squad earning at least minimum salary.

At the moment only the top 25 are entitled to minimum salary, which means at most eight blokes earning the NRL minimum will be lining up for the second tier competition. That's not enough to justify that comp being treated as genuinely second tier.

Every club has about 35 blokes on its fulltime squad, but ten of those will be earning less than the minimum salary and therefore probably holding down a job as well as playing fulltime. Most blokes hit a certain age (and experience level) and get jack of such a lifestyle, but it's these blokes that we need our up-and-comers playing with and against each week.

Basically the game needs to accept the concept of fulltime professional players who will only ever be good enough to be NRL backups. The game needs such players (mostly filling reserve grade teams) in order to help develop the game's future stars. The people who really need to accept it are the star players, because the funding for these 'reserve squads' will have to come out of the (future) salaries of the game's top earners. The catch-22 is that it is the game's top earners who are responsible for the majority of the game's revenue.

The game needs fulltime squads of 35 players all earning enough money that they don't quit football and get a real job. This is the only way to have a genuine reserve grade competition.

Last edited:

spiderdan

Bench
Just shows that other clubs are managing Penrith and the Eels junior base better than Penrith & our club.

Teams still run last with a 14 or 12 team system.

What then, reduce the competition down to 10 then to 8 until eventually only two teams remain?
yep we can reduce down to 8 teams and there will still be the dominant 2-3 clubs and 2-3 really crap teams each year, and some years the gap from the last finals team to the bottom of the table will be close and others not so.

You should put your two team super league proposal to the nrl. Plenty of benefits. What ever team you support will always make the finals and the grand final, there's always next week, your players will always make at least one rep team.

Is there some petition to stop hindy111 from starting new threads?

Sparky 74

Juniors
I do think the Nrl should what the A League did & start all over again.
The super league idea was not bad but done the wrong way.

My idea would be have a 12 team metro cup as the 2 nd tier comp.
The 12 teams would be
St George dragons
Cronulla Sutherland sharks
Balmain tigers
Parramatta eels
Penrith panthers
Newtown jets
Canterbury banks town bulldogs
Manly warring ah sea eagles
North Sydney bears
Eastern suburbs roosters
Western suburbs magpies
South Sydney rabbi toes

These teams can be feeder clubs to the top tier clubs playing in the new Nrl comp.
Teams from
Victoria
South Australia
Western Australia
ACT
The hunter/ Newcastle
The Illawarra/ Wollongong
Central coast
North qld
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Auckland
Wellington
West Sydney/home bush
Sydney / Allianz

14 team comp , 26 rounds

Stand alone rep weeks a gala weekends of footy

Qld vs NSW - best of 3 series - Friday night
Pacific island cup - best of 3 series - Sunday afternoon
New Zealand vs Pacifica ( combined Samoa , tonga , Fiji & png team)
On the Sunday you can have a country vs city from the metro cup teams

Tyler Durden

Juniors
I do think the Nrl should what the A League did & start all over again.
The super league idea was not bad but done the wrong way.

My idea would be have a 12 team metro cup as the 2 nd tier comp.
The 12 teams would be
St George dragons
Cronulla Sutherland sharks
Balmain tigers
Parramatta eels
Penrith panthers
Newtown jets
Canterbury banks town bulldogs
Manly warring ah sea eagles
North Sydney bears
Eastern suburbs roosters
Western suburbs magpies
South Sydney rabbi toes

These teams can be feeder clubs to the top tier clubs playing in the new Nrl comp.
Teams from
Victoria
South Australia
Western Australia
ACT
The hunter/ Newcastle
The Illawarra/ Wollongong
Central coast
North qld
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Auckland
Wellington
West Sydney/home bush
Sydney / Allianz

14 team comp , 26 rounds

Stand alone rep weeks a gala weekends of footy

Qld vs NSW - best of 3 series - Friday night
Pacific island cup - best of 3 series - Sunday afternoon
New Zealand vs Pacifica ( combined Samoa , tonga , Fiji & png team)
On the Sunday you can have a country vs city from the metro cup teams

sounds like a good option.
fact is that we have waaaaaaaaaay too many nrl teams in sydney, restricting the ability to expand the game.

so bring in the second tier which will be like the old NSWRL comp for all sydney teams and maintain the tribal rivalries.
or the other option is to let it be survival of the fittest and have more sydney clubs die out or merge.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The problem is that the game lives and dies on its popularity (i.e. fans). If you cut teams or force them to merge you lose fans.

It doesn't matter how rational a new set up is (and I agree there are too many Sydney teams) - supporting a team is an emotional experience (and therefore unrelated to rationality).

Tyler Durden

Juniors
The problem is that the game lives and dies on its popularity (i.e. fans). If you cut teams or force them to merge you lose fans.

It doesn't matter how rational a new set up is (and I agree there are too many Sydney teams) - supporting a team is an emotional experience (and therefore unrelated to rationality).

all the more reason to go with the second tier sydney comp.
every sydney team is treated the same and still has a say in their traditions and can maintain the tribal rivalries the fans love.

where we will get into trouble (ie. superleague) is when you let some sydney teams stand alone, kill some sydney teams and force other sydney teams into a shotgun marriage. creates a lot of heat because the fans that are impacted will get upset as to why their team is treated differently.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I suppose that probably would be the best way to minimise the alienation of fans of Sydney clubs.

However the fact is the Sydney clubs each have at least tens of thousands of fans, while any theoretical new Sydney team in this new top division competition would have none. As a Parra fan I would resent this brand new organisation that had replaced my club in the top grade, and I don't think I could support them. I reckon plenty of other fans of Sydney clubs would feel the same.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why do we need to change a thing??

We just signed off on a record TV deal and crowds are up this season.

Less teams doesn't mean there won't be two or 3 teams struggling at the bottom of the ladder. By expansion and growing the game that is where we will find our extra depth from. We still have 100 Australian players in England with the extra funds in the game and a larger salary cap we will be able to keep most of those players. The game is going gangbusters ATM why do people feel the need to change something that is going well???

Latest posts