What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to release the footballs from the lockbox Ivan

stryker

First Grade
These guys look like they havent touched a footy at training since last August.
Happy with stamina and defensive attitude, great strides forward...probably the best in our history.
Attack though would rank with the worst we've ever had. It is abysmal and not first grade standard.
That putrid passage in the first 40 where they all kept dropping it was embarrassing. Lets free the footies and work on our skills during the next week. They require urgent attention.

Tiger05

First Grade
They need to improve but our defence has been great. Our overall commitment has been great. We only just lost that one and Brisbane didn't score a try.

I reckon Benji is gone next week. I just hope we keep playing with commitment.

Clifferd

Coach
I said it to my mates during the game we couldn’t score in a brothel. It’s starting to get old now.

All we needed to do was score 2 tries and we win that game. It’s simple

simmo05

Bench
Id rather lose 7-9 in a brazen robbery, than 30-10 in a typically uncommitted tigers performance. We tried attack since 2005, however the nrl changed the rules to suit the big clubs. I dont care if we strangle the life out of the sport. As long as we win. That seems to be the attitude of every other merkin! On another note, we are still missing 3/4 of our spine, and to be playing this good regardless is f**king monumental! Most people here had us soundly flogged for the first 6 weeks!

macnaz

Staff member
We need a balance of attack v defence .Captain scissor hands , Ordinary Thompson , No Catch Foluma aren't game winners. They can defend till the cows come home but if they cant capitalize of what the team has built on with their defence its going to be a long season

Our attack is dogsh#t,Benji mentioned in his time at Saints they concentrated on defence one year,than had nothing in the tank for attack,it seems we are going down that road.

Tigerm

First Grade
Our attack is dogsh#t,Benji mentioned in his time at Saints they concentrated on defence one year,than had nothing in the tank for attack,it seems we are going down that road.
It is only R3, last year we would have lost all 3 games due to our poor defence, hard to improve everything at once. Even the great JT said you cant win the comp without good defence.

Tiger05

First Grade
It is only R3, last year we would have lost all 3 games due to our poor defence, hard to improve everything at once. Even the great JT said you cant win the comp without good defence.

I agree. Yes our attack is shithouse but our defence has been great. I'm inclined to hope that the attack comes.

I'd make some changes though - I'd bring in Fonua. I'd also bring in Gamble. I'd work out what we are going to do with Aloiai. I think IC views Aloiai as the guy who can bust the line and his runs are freaken huge but he is dropping the ball and just not getting a half chance.

I'm really happy with our halves performances so far this year. Gamble only comes in because Benji is more than likely out.

innsaneink

Referee
It's bloody frustrating watching them play like u/9s with the ball, then defend fearless and put their bodies on the line.
I've been wanting defence like this for years but didn't realise it would come at the expense of the attack, but with so many new faces it's not surprising.
Its inspirational the intensity they're showing in defense, the attitude is fantastic but it's already beginning to take a toll physically.
I guess we all just need patience. . Surely we can't get robbed by the officials like that again this year

Front-Rower

First Grade
If Esan is our second choice goal kicker he also needs to practice. Missing that rather simple conversion proved costly (along with a range of dubious calls)....

Tiger05

First Grade
If Esan is our second choice goal kicker he also needs to practice. Missing that rather simple conversion proved costly (along with a range of dubious calls)....

This was a big point in the game as well. It was an easy kick that would have won us the game.

points were always going to be hard to come by this year. We don't really have any attacking weapons.

having said that I'm stoked with where we're at. defence and attitude is outstanding. We're in it up to our eyeballs every week. You can't ask for than that at this stage.

Shredder

Juniors
Footy is defence AND attack, we rarely seem to combine the two.

D is more difficult to put together and I commend Ivan for that. But its very un-tigers to not score points.

I would play Gamble next week. His defence is fine and he is I think our most dangerous half from trial form. At least he has a go, and given he will be playing for his spot, might spark our attack. Additionally, he has a fairly decent kicking game.

super_coach

First Grade
No speed will always make our attack near impossible to improve. When they get the defence bedded in maybe it will be time to slowly introduce some players like Gamble who have some attacking flair.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I agree that our handling errors were embarrssing, but it is completely inconsequential. The game was a good old fashion physical grind and we were the better team. Broncos made a shitload of errors as well because both teams were ready to bash their way to a win.

Attack will come once we gel.

stryker

First Grade
After watching the ISP I don't think I'd play Gamble. I know that is harsh because he has been really good the past two weeks but I'd look to play Tui at 6.
No no nonono. That fat little butterball has some work to do to get back in the top grade.