What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler proposal back on (take 3)

Alex28

Coach
Burro has the obligation to put all offers to the members. It might not be his job to push one offer over another, however he did say in the media earlier in the week that the Tinkler offer is the best offer in the history of the game. I see this now as a backup in case the members decide that Tinky's offer is not the best for the club, and to his credit he hasn't let it die and left the members with one option only.

The Patron's Trust is merely funding future retained losses. He spend the money, if we can't afford to repay it then it is gone, and then once it runs out we are in exactly the same situation as we are now - just with a few less benefactors to draw on.

The Tinkler deal needs to be done. It really is the best deal for the club.

Nuffy

Bench
Burraston has a moral obligation at least to put all proposals to the members.

It's not his job to 'pick winners' and only put that to the members - that is actually what the members will be deciding about.

His moral responsibility is clear - and i wouldn't be surprized if he actually has a legal responsibility to provide all alternatives as well.

If the vote went ahead and someone decided they had not recieved information on all possible alternatives, it's quite possible that the vote could be overturned by a court.

Truth be told, Burro shouldn't really be offering opinions on the various models as it's not his call. The directors are the ones with the legal obligation to give full disclosure to the members. Burro could be construed as having potential conflict of interest by promoting one model over the other. Not suggesting that's the case but he really should stay out of public discussion.

Serc

First Grade
It might not be his job to push one offer over another, however he did say in the media earlier in the week that the Tinkler offer is the best offer in the history of the game. I see this now as a backup in case the members decide that Tinky's offer is not the best for the club, and to his credit he hasn't let it die and left the members with one option only.

All of this are some of the reasons why I am happy to back what Burro is up to, particularly the bold.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Agreed. I don't know the guy, but some of his comments look like self preservation. In fairness, I admit I was wrong on Tew. He gets no rem from the Knights and seems to be acting genuinely in the clubs best interests.

Looking forward to the next few weeks.

Serc

First Grade
Peace breaks out as board backs Tinkler
Adrian Proszenko
March 6, 2011

art_knights-420x0.jpg

Tinkler vision . . . the Knights can be a top team again. Photo: Peter Stoop

PROSPECTIVE Newcastle owner Nathan Tinkler has ended his feud with Knights chairman Rob Tew as the club prepares to return to its days as one of the NRL's powerhouse teams.
The mining magnate has told The Sun-Herald he is trying to buy the Knights for the right reasons and is prepared to put aside his differences with his old sparring partners, Tew and chief executive Steve Burraston.
''Chairman Rob Tew did a great job in protecting members' rights in ensuring the club's colours, playing location and name will never change. Not just protected for 10 years, but they are locked in in perpetuity. He should be very proud of the outcome,'' Tinkler said.
Tinkler insists his motive is to turn the battling club into a powerhouse rather than having the team as a personal plaything.
''This bid is not about Nathan Tinkler,'' he said. ''It's all about the Newcastle Knights having a strong financial future and becoming a powerhouse in the NRL.
''We need to become leaders in every part of the modern game to relive the golden years of 1997 through to 2003, when we played in the semi-finals of every year with an abundance of home-grown talent.''
Tinkler's proposal, which includes $10 million in guaranteed annual sponsorship revenue for the next 10 years, was finally endorsed by the board on what Tew described as a watershed day in the club's history.
The final decision now rests with about 3000 voting members, who will decide whether to accept the Tinkler Sports Group's privatisation proposal. Tinkler, the richest Australian under 40, with an estimated fortune in excess of $600 million, needs 75 per cent of the vote to take control of the Knights. The vote is likely to take place on March 31.
Tinkler has guaranteed that the club's name, colours, location and logo won't change without member approval if he gains control.
He has already pumped millions into the Hunter region, saving the A-League's Newcastle Jets from financial ruin and outbidding interstate suitors for the rights to international netball matches. He also wants to resurrect a Newcastle side in the NBL but for now his focus is on his beloved Knights.
''This is about ensuring the community is proud of the club and the region, while remembering and respecting our pioneers who sacrificed so much to start the Newcastle Knights,'' he said.
One of those pioneers is Leigh Maughan. The Knights director and No.1 ticket holder is the club's founding father. He has urged members to vote for the proposal.
''It's a rare opportunity and I personally think it's one too good to overlook, simple as that,'' he said.
''I see this as another step to the big time. We get out of being a cap in hand [club] going to people on occasions to keep us afloat.
''There are some risks but I'm prepared to take them for the benefits that are available. That is to take the financial pressure off the club and improve its ability to better junior development.
''I believe the Knights will become one of the top three sporting clubs in Australia [if Tinkler takes control].''
Maughan received rousing applause when he spoke passionately about the need to embrace Tinkler's bid at a lively members' information meeting at Newcastle Panthers during the week.
''He is a local, wealthy man from the Hunter Valley and that sits better with me than how an out-of-towner might sit,'' he said.
''It's his passion that is driving this - there's no way you can make money out of football.''
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ut-as-board-backs-tinkler-20110305-1biri.html

aqua_duck

Coach
Great article and some choice words from Leigh Maughan, btw under the Tinkler deal members will still get to vote for 2 positions on the board

cram

Bench
I might be wrong but I think Leigh Maughan will hold some sway with the older members. Leigh fought hard and long to get the Knights into the competition and if he is willing to move forward then so should everyone else.

I just watched the interview with Tinkler. He came across different to what I was expecting. It was a good interview and and by the way during my google search I spotted a photo of his wife and he like many of us is batting overs.....lol

Serc

First Grade
Date set for Tinkler meeting
BY BRETT KEEBLE
07 Mar, 2011 04:00 AM

NATHAN Tinkler and his management team will continue holding public and private meetings with Knights members and supporter groups this week as they try to secure the numbers they need to privatise Newcastle’s NRL club.
Knights chief executive Steve Burraston confirmed last night that the extraordinary general meeting would be held on March 31, at which up to 3000 eligible members will vote on Tinkler’s privatisation proposal.
In accordance with the club’s constitution, at least 75per cent of members must vote in favour of the proposal for the multimillionaire mining and racing tycoon to take control.
Tinkler and his management team, headed by Tinkler Sports Group executive chairman Ken Edwards, hope to meet with as many members as possible in the next three weeks to outline their ambitious plans for the Knights in the next 10years.
Edwards said the TSG was taking a ‘‘softly softly’’ approach to begin their publicity campaign, and that will eventually include more public events getting closer to the March 31 ballot.
‘‘We’re not in a position yet to advise when and where meetings will be taking place, and we won’t be in a position to do that probably until Tuesday,’’ Edwards said.
‘‘But we have spent the weekend working on a whole range of things, and we’re looking at the best way to get our message across in a whole range of media, not just public meetings, though obviously they will be very important.
‘‘We are starting a range of one-on-one discussions with important Knights groups [today] but we have promised everyone that we are doing that privately, and we’re not using those as a media opportunity as such.
‘‘Nathan has met with a significant number of members one on one, and that process will continue this week.
‘‘By Tuesday, we should have a program in place and that will be a mixture of public meetings, some of which he will be at and some of which he won’t be at, and that is all focused on voting members and those different Knights supporter groups.’’
It is understood Edwards and Knights chairman Rob Tew met yesterday to discuss the best way forward for the club and the TSG in the next three weeks.
The decision was not unanimous, but a majority of Knights directors voted last Thursday to endorse Tinkler’s privatisation proposal to members as a superior financial model.
‘‘After due consideration of the attendant risks, the board believes the commercial benefits of the transaction are superior to the alternatives, and on that basis recommend this transaction to members for their support,’’ Tew said after the board meeting, which lasted almost four hours.
Backed by a $20million bank guarantee for the first two years of the deal, and a $10million guarantee for each of the next eight years, Tinkler’s offer guarantees $10million in annual sponsorship revenue for the next 10years.
Maintaining the Knights as a not-for-profit entity and protecting the club’s name, colours, location and home ground in a ‘‘heritage share’’, the deal includes clearing their accumulated losses by up to $3.5million, injecting $2.5million a year into junior development, and guaranteeing members’ buy-back rights in the unlikely event of Tinkler becoming insolvent.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/date-set-for-tinkler-meeting/2095040.aspx

Serc

First Grade
Nathan Tinkler plans media marketing blitz to sell proposed takeover of Newcastle Knights
  • Barry Toohey
  • March 08, 2011 12:00AM
NATHAN Tinkler is preparing to splash out more than $200,000 on a media marketing blitz in Newcastle in a bid to sell his privatisation model to Knights members.
And it's understood he will have the public support of several high- profile sporting figures to get his message through.
The mining magnate will take his $100 million bid to buy the Knights to a members' vote at an extraordinary meeting on March 31.
He needs a 75 per cent majority to be given the green light and it's clear he will be leaving nothing to chance.
He met yesterday with Knights legends such as Paul Harragon, Michael Hagan, Mal Reilly and Tony Butterfield to take them through his proposal.
"He gave us an opportunity to meet him and listen to what his plans are first hand which is important," Hagan said. "To hear it from him personally only reinforced for me just how positive the deal is for the club going forward.
"It's the biggest decision the football club has ever had to make and it's pretty clear he has gone to great lengths to satisfy the Knights about just how genuine he is about the club and the town."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ewcastle-knights/story-e6frexnr-1226017316889

Alex28

Coach
Seems a waste of money when only so few people have a vote.
You would think he would get more votes by chucking an extra 200k into the deal.

If $100 Million over 10 years in sponsorship income and a $20 Million Bank Guarantee isn't going to be enough to get this across the line, what is another $200K going to do to the deal?

The guy has to spend the $200K to actually get to the members due to how this has dragged out and the amount of misinformation that is out there. It's pretty sad that a guy who wants to do so much good for the club has to spend that much money to convince people to make it happen.

Archduke_Franz

Juniors
The Meeting is taking place on March 31st, 7pm and is going to be at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre showground. Letters were sent out last night.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Seems a waste of money when only so few people have a vote.
You would think he would get more votes by chucking an extra 200k into the deal.

For this theory to work, advertisers all around the world shouldn't spend millions of dollars per year trying to get consumers to buy their product and instead knock some money off the price of their product. Marketing works and that is why companies do it.

The Meeting is taking place on March 31st, 7pm and is going to be at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre showground. Letters were sent out last night.

One would hope your intentions are honourable Archduke, I would have for my Baroncy and your Dukey and mine to come into conflict.

That being said I am happy to bear arms if there any issues and smite thee.

B-dos

Referee
It's pretty sad that a guy who wants to do so much good for the club has to spend that much money to convince people to make it happen.

indeed..

certain press releases from certain irresponsible members of knights management come swiftly to mind...

aqua_duck

Coach
I can imagine alot of old boys getting involved, maybe tv and newspaper ads, alot of positive articles in the herald, and a radio blitz. Tinkler doesn't seem like the type who takes half measures

Alex28

Coach
What are you referring to? Just not sure I may have missed it.
Rob Tew saying publicly that he supports the offer? Steve Burraston saying to the media that there has never been a stronger offer in Rugby League history?

I don't really know what B-dos is relating to, however history will show that the criticism of the board has been pretty unfair. They have a job to do, they have an obligation to provide the members all information on all offers that will affect the club, they played hard ball with a guy who was playing hard ball with them, and ultimately they achieved a deal that will make us a powerhouse.

I still don't really get what they have done wrong to warrant such criticism. They got the guy to commit to the deal that he originally stated he would commit to however had changed substantially in between? The bastards!

B-dos

Referee
What are you referring to? Just not sure I may have missed it.

the press release released by the knights which kicked off the whole 'mirage' debacle

had their issues been sorted out behind closed doors (as they should) the he said she said rubbish and subsequent disillusionment of some members could have been avoided

Latest posts