What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans look to help Greg Bird

The Colonel

Immortal
Titans look to help Greg Bird

Jake Dew | September 21st, 2009

greg-bird.jpg

Greg Bird set to be hit by Petero Civoniceva during a State of Origin match in 2008. The Titans have expressed interest in the utility.

TITANS managing director Michael Searle has confirmed the Gold Coast club is willing to help disgraced NRL bad boy Greg Bird turn his life around.
Searle said the club had held discussions with Bird, after they were contacted by his manager Gavin Orr.
But he stressed if Bird was to join the club it would be under strict conditions, including an active involvement in the club's community programs.
``It would be an incentive based contract, a one-season deal not dissimilar to what the club did with Chris Walker,'' Searle told The Bulletin.
``We would want to speak with (Bird) and his girlfriend to work through their relationship subject to the court appeal outcome and he would have to be actively involved in a lot of the club's community projects.''
Bird is looking to return to the NRL next season if he can overturn a conviction for recklessly wounding girlfriend Katie Milligan.
His appeal will be heard on November 23 and 24, after he was sentenced to a minimum of eight months in jail for the August 2008 attack.
He is currently playing for French club Catalan Dragons in the UK Super League.
Acknowledging there may be some backlash for the club's stance, Searle said it was more important to help the 25-year-old his life back on track.
``I'm sure we will be condemned by some that it's the wrong message we are sending, but I think making a positive difference to anyone's life is important,'' said Searle, who along with coach John Cartwright will meet with Bird next month, when they go to the UK for the Four Nations tournament.

``It's not something that we have jumped into, these discussion have been in the air for a couple of months and while we haven't made any decision (signing him) is something we would consider.''
``We have had outstanding success in working with players who have had challenges and making a positive difference to both the player and their family's lives.''
While the acquisition of Bird's signature would bolster the playing stocks, Searle said getting his life in order was a far bigger priority including his involvement within the community.
``I would be happier if we made a positive influence on his life first and foremost and if he goes well in his football then that's good too,'' said Searle.
``When you're involved with athletes who have had challenges or challenges in their past it's important that they have a sense of community as well.''
``From our point of view that would be an important part of his commitment to the club, that he genuinely wants to make good and it shows that this is what our club is about.''

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/09/21/139445_gold-coast-titans.html

Vossy

Bench
utter bullsh!t..

if gallop allows this crap to happen, he has to quit, after backing the sharks decision to sack him as the "right decision"..we do the right thing by the game and we get screwed for it, yet manly,storm,broncos,roosters give the NRL the middle finger and get away with it

the only club he should be playing for is us

ftr Gavin Orr can go to hell, slimy bastard

Lambretta

First Grade
While the acquisition of Bird's signature would bolster the playing stocks, Searle said getting his life in order was a far bigger priority including his involvement within the community.

I saw the word "stocks" whilst scan reading that article and thought now that's a good place for him.

But alas, it's not to be. :p

Bird is a good player - but I dont think his appeal will be successful. So where does that leave him? 8 months in prison? Ouch.

Tom Ace

Bench
I can't really say anything other than i'm glad we are opting for Carney as our reformed bad boy of choice.

Eelectrica

Referee
Hope not. Really don't want to see a play like Greg Bird at the Titans. He's a good player and all but totally classless.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"Helping him out" what a good spirited club they are!:D

Seriously do they think they look anything other than greedy opportunisits in this? Hopefully Gallop will not cave in and will ban him from the NRL for at least 5 years if his appeal fails.

Tom Ace

Bench
Wow, there's more Titan hate in here than I expected.

I didn't think they'd had enough time or been successful enough to make anyone hate them yet.

Apey

Staff member
Wow, there's more Titan hate in here than I expected.

I didn't think they'd had enough time or been successful enough to make anyone hate them yet.

some people have nothing better to do lol.

bartman

Immortal
He's still staring down the barrel of prison, isn't he?

Bit premature of his manager to be approaching NRL clubs...

Greenbits

Juniors
"Helping him out" what a good spirited club they are!:D

Seriously do they think they look anything other than greedy opportunisits in this? Hopefully Gallop will not cave in and will ban him from the NRL for at least 5 years if his appeal fails.

Bingo. This guy has more spin the Kevin Rudd. Bird is on the market, but if we sign him up it will look bad for the club. Lets just feed the public some bulls**t about only wanting him to come here so we can help him turn his life around.

adamkungl

Immortal
boo f**king hoo.
If he gets out of his jail term i see no problem with it.
If he doesn't, we don't have to worry about it.

Latest posts