What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans Squad for trial v Storm

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Lowdown said:
I'm sure a few posts out of your 38 odd thousand may bagg off the occassional storm supporter (will leave 1999 aside as justifiable), team, player every now and then.

For some reason I seem to remember I was confusing you, El Diablo, Misty Bee, Gregstar and it took me a while to realise you were all singing from the same hymm book, hence the confusion - A pack of dogs surrounding anyone who offered a different opinion.
LOL. A troll crying foul. That never gets old.

Look chuckles, that's just the chip on your shoulder talking. If you want to show your ignorance, that's your problem. It doesn't worry me which team you support. I actually enjoy the banter. Lighten up.

Let's see... In this thread, you kicked off with a stir, followed up by calling a Titans official a 'turd'. Common troll stuff and you're a real class act.
It took me two posts to rattle your cage, it was too easy. Now you're having a sook. Don't get too upset, but you're really quite predictable.

Lowdown said:
I'm cool with whatever label you throw at me... I value your opinion so if you think I'm a troll, then yes...I'm a Troll. Feels so much better getting that off my chest.
Yeah sure, you can handle it. Your little tantrums are all part of the act. lol

Lowdown said:
Anyway - I'm really here to discuss Rugby League (and occassionally your Mother) - so let's get back on track shall we.
That'd be code for 'promises to be good now'. Sure Lowdown, I'll give you a break. Word of advice though, not all members are as easy going as me.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah a bit snappy,we'll see how the Titans go....by the way if it 'isn't your team' why do you write countless paragraphs defending each of their motives?

Lowdown

Juniors
SpiderShark said:
That is a big call.

I would expect Aitken to be a chance of playing up in sunny QLD.

I agree....but those were Hoffy's words. Bellamy has never been one to let anyone for that matter get too comfortable in a spot. Certainly the way he kept Slater and Inglis on the edge over the fullback position last year was such an example.

Speaking with one of the players a few weeks back, they were certainly unsure as to whether it would be Inglis or Aitken who would get the shot. That means two things - that Inglis aint setting the house on fire, or Aitken might actually be realising his potential in training.

It will be an intriging contest in the coming weeks. And a good problem to have indeed.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Cowgirl86 said:
Yeah a bit snappy,we'll see how the Titans go....by the way if it 'isn't your team' why do you write countless paragraphs defending each of their motives?
If you are stuck in a us v them mentality then I can see how you arrived at your view.

My opinion is just that, regardless of which team it is. It would be wonderously handy if we didn't have to justify our opinions to people who make assumptions about other people they know nothing about.

Yesterday I was defending Gower and the Panthers. Does that make Panthers my team? I praised New Zealand and argued in their favour when they beat Australia in the 2005 Tri-Nations, does that make me a Kiwi?
A few years ago I was defending the Storm when people were calling for them to be given the flick. I support the game's expansion. But equally, I made lots of posts in support of Souths being readmitted because I have soft spot for traditions and the old Sydney comp. And more recently I sided with the view that the NRL needed another team in SE Qld, hence my posts in support of the Gold Coast bid.

You don't have to agree with me, but I ask that you leave the pigeon-holing for someone else. The alternative is that you'll simply lose sight of the debate.

Cheers.

spider

Coach
Lowdown said:
I agree....but those were Hoffy's words. Bellamy has never been one to let anyone for that matter get too comfortable in a spot. Certainly the way he kept Slater and Inglis on the edge over the fullback position last year was such an example.
True - but we are comparing Inglis/Slater to that of Aitken, internationals to that of a PL player.

Speaking with one of the players a few weeks back, they were certainly unsure as to whether it would be Inglis or Aitken who would get the shot. That means two things - that Inglis aint setting the house on fire, or Aitken might actually be realising his potential in training.
Inglis IMO has nothing to prove in pre-season training - the contract he resigned is proof in that.

However, i have seen Russ play a fair bit and I hope he does succeed - and with thoses players around him, that may just happen.

It will be an intriging contest in the coming weeks. And a good problem to have indeed.
Your point is true - but i just find it hard that Aitken would get that spot over Inglis - maybe Bellamy has second thoughts of moving Inglis into the halves??

Lowdown

Juniors
SpiderShark said:
but i just find it hard that Aitken would get that spot over Inglis - maybe Bellamy has second thoughts of moving Inglis into the halves??

Maybe...but I think Inglis is no certainty to start at 5/8. The view Bellamy would be taking (IMO) is that you choose the line-up which is the strongest overall, not in certain positions.

If he's seeing Inglis' confidence diminish at 5/8 (ie he may be thinking too much rather than simply looking to attack), Aitken may be the solution, pushing Inglis back to Centre. Lets not forget that Inglis is not a natural pivot. He's played fullback and centre most of his career. Aitken is the reverse. He's pivot through and through and may be the more sound choice early on. Especially if he complements Cronk. And if the rumours are true, Aitken has an impressive long kicking game which only helps his chances.

However, by bringing Aitken into the line-up, who goes? The obvious choice would be Geyer, with Quinn going to his wing. However, as good a coach as Bellamy is, it would be a very bold move to relegate Matt Geyer to the bench or even reserves.

In a media article today, Aitken basically admitted though, that he was resigned to sit behind Inglis in the pecking order, and was hopeful of a bench, utility role. At 187 cm and 90-odd kilos, he would make more than an adequate utility forward.

spider

Coach
Lowdown said:
If he's seeing Inglis' confidence diminish at 5/8 (ie he may be thinking too much rather than simply looking to attack), Aitken may be the solution, pushing Inglis back to Centre. Lets not forget that Inglis is not a natural pivot. He's played fullback and centre most of his career.
I love Inglis running the ball in open play - reminds of Peachy in his day. I feel the same of Inglis at 5/8, as i do Gasnier. Two good players where they are acustom to playing - but who knows. Im no coach, and Bellamy is a smart man.

However, by bringing Aitken into the line-up, who goes? The obvious choice would be Geyer, with Quinn going to his wing. However, as good a coach as Bellamy is, it would be a very bold move to relegate Matt Geyer to the bench or even reserves.
Thats a good headache to have.

At 187 cm and 90-odd kilos, he would make more than an adequate utility forward.
Not sure about the forward part - 90kg's at that height is not that big. But strength is different to size, as Pommeroy for us guys is of similar build and height and has the strength to play in the back row.

Will be interesting to see what Bellamy ends up doing.

Shorty

Staff member
Willow said:
If you are stuck in a us v them mentality then I can see how you arrived at your view.

My opinion is just that, regardless of which team it is. It would be wonderously handy if we didn't have to justify our opinions to people who make assumptions about other people they know nothing about.

Yesterday I was defending Gower and the Panthers. Does that make Panthers my team? I praised New Zealand and argued in their favour when they beat Australia in the 2005 Tri-Nations, does that make me a Kiwi?
A few years ago I was defending the Storm when people were calling for them to be given the flick. I support the game's expansion. But equally, I made lots of posts in support of Souths being readmitted because I have soft spot for traditions and the old Sydney comp. And more recently I sided with the view that the NRL needed another team in SE Qld, hence my posts in support of the Gold Coast bid.

You don't have to agree with me, but I ask that you leave the pigeon-holing for someone else. The alternative is that you'll simply lose sight of the debate.

Cheers.
I'm not pigeon holing anyone,can you not see the differences in my post to the others?
Simply giving out my point of view and what like just an answer back or discussion whatever not a snap.
Obviously you're like this because of Lottie and Lowdown and whoever,but they're Storm supporters they blame losing a Grand Final on the ref for heaven's sake:lol:
Here's hoping the Storm get their bums kicked anyway,the Storm players compete against each other anyway.

Has already been a few complaints on radio up here about the titans team, people who bought tickets aren't happy. Coffs only gets to see 1 game a year and they get dished up 3rd graders.
Walabies train up here and invite schools to training and have dinners with the public etc.
Maybe a NRL season game at coffs would bring top squads.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
parra-matters said:
Walabies train up here and invite schools to training and have dinners with the public etc.
I'm not sure what the Storm have planned but the Titans are holding an open training session and then meeting up with fans and junior players in the district.

DeeGan

Bench
parra-matters said:
Has already been a few complaints on radio up here about the titans team, people who bought tickets aren't happy. Coffs only gets to see 1 game a year and they get dished up 3rd graders.
Maybe a NRL season game at coffs would bring top squads.

:roll: A professional NRL club should obviously bow to public demand during the trials and field their number one squad in their first trial no matter what the coaching staff say I guess. You better write to Searle and co. and tell them they have go this all wrong.

It is the Titans problem that there is only game scheduled their this season?

Let's hope those from Gold Coast adopting the Titans as their team will make the effort in 2007 to travel north for the weekend for a game or two.

Jetstar Titans on the move!

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans are looking forward to their first trial match against the Melbourne Storm at BCU International Stadium in Coffs Harbour on Saturday night February 17.

The exciting young squad will depart the Runaway Bay sports super centre for Coffs Harbour at 9.00am tomorrow morning.

Coach John Cartwright and Football Manager Scott Sattler will be available for comment and photographs for ten minutes (10 minutes) from 8.30am.

On arrival in Coffs Harbour the squad will hold an open training session at BCU International Stadium from 4.00pm.

At the completion of training, the players and coaching staff will be available for interviews and photographs before spending some time meeting with local fans and junior players from across the District.

The schedule Friday February 16th -

What: Jetstar Gold Coast Titans Depart for historic first ever trial match against Melbourne Storm at Coffs Harbour’s BCU International Stadium.

Where:Runaway Bay Sports Super Centre Runaway Bay.

Times: 8.30am - Media opportunity for Ten minutes (10 minutes) Runaway Bay Sport Centre.

9.00am- Bus departs Runaway Bay Sports Super Centre

NSW times 2:30pm- Squad arrives Coffs Harbour (Camp Wallaby- Pacific Bay Resort)

4.00pm - Open training session (BCU International Stadium)

5.00pm - 5.45am Meet the players autograph session BCU International Stadium

The word "trial" is obviously foreign to more than I imagined.

Shorty

Staff member
You really don't get it do you?
Trial or no trial it's the first game ever played by this team and people are obviously excited for the line up.
Now Storm have almost full strength,Broncos are sending over full strength, so they obviously expected the same.
There's nothing wrong with being disappointed and a lot of people are....if you're going to have a B grade side playing in their first ever trial expect that.

DeeGan

Bench
Cowgirl86 said:
You really don't get it do you?
Trial or no trial it's the first game ever played by this team and people are obviously excited for the line up.
Now Storm have almost full strength,Broncos are sending over full strength, so they obviously expected the same.
There's nothing wrong with being disappointed and a lot of people are....if you're going to have a B grade side playing in their first ever trial expect that.

Funnily enough, I have thought "You really don't get it do you?" about your good self since you entered the thread Cowbgirl86 - no disrespect.

So as to prove your point, name all the full strength teams contesting first week trials this weekend. By all means use the Brisbane side as one of your teams though they are playing for a World Club Challenge trophy that acutally means something to some after winning last seasons grand final.

A trial, whether or not it is our first trial, is a trial whereby a coach has his thoughts on what he needs to accomplish before the seasons kickoff. In my humble opinion, I would have thought we would have tried more first team players to build combinations - Cartwright, a better judge than anyone on this forum - sees it differently as does other first grade coaches this weekend.

The fact remains we do not have to agree with your opinion, likewise, you don't have to agree with those who disagree with you.

Thanks in advance.

Shorty

Staff member
That's because I'm a footy fan...not one that knows the ins and outs of every single tick in the NRL.
The general public in Coff's isn't going to really care if it's a trial or not,that's the thing,they don't get games that often so obviously if you're a footy fan there and you see that the Titans aren't even flexing the team they've arranged this year you'd feel pretty annoyed.
Again those sides you're asking me to name have been in the actual NRL comp.
They're not entering the NRL this year,I would think every game would count for the Coast this year,y'know to show they mean business.
Obviously not and I guess time will tell.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Cowgirl86 said:
The general public in Coff's isn't going to really care if it's a trial or not,that's the thing,they don't get games that often so obviously if you're a footy fan there and you see that the Titans aren't even flexing the team they've arranged this year you'd feel pretty annoyed.
They have plenty of League in Coffs Harbour. Local competitions.

I really can't fathom this 'Titans owe the people of Coffs' attitude.

Its hardly the Titans responsibility to see more NRL teams playing there. Surely that's an issue with the NRL and all teams that were playing before the Titans were even part of the NRL.

For example, the Gold Coast had very few NRL trials for years and the teams were often understrengthed or lower graders playing. It didn't stop the fans coming out and having a good time. Nor did it stop strong local competitions developing. Was it the visiting team's responsibility to field their top 17 for the people of the Gold Coast?

And how about the folks in Port Macquarie? I attended a Dragons v Sharks trial there a few years back and the sides were largely understrengthed, especially in the second half. No one complained, it was just a good night out.

Should I go on?

Unless the people of Coffs are something special and deserve more than all the other country centres, then I really can't see the difference to the multitude of other trials that have been played in loads of other country centres over the years. I've been to a lot of trial matches and the expectations are that the people are going to watch a trial, buy a bit of merchandise, the kids will kick a few balls around, get a few autographs, and enjoy the game for what it is.

Cowgirl86 said:
I would think every game would count for the Coast this year,y'know to show they mean business.
Obviously not and I guess time will tell.
Its not an NRL premiership match. But obviously every game does count, that's why the coach is testing the depth of his squad.

There's nothing quite like throwing a young team against a more experienced outfit... anything could happen and a rookie could really impress. It not always the doom and gloom as you're trying to make out.

But that's my opinion... I tend to go and watch trials to actually see the younger players in action, and I like going to lower grade matches for the same reason. Spotting unheralded talent is part of the game too.

Shorty

Staff member
Obviously local footy is a little different to the NRL people will get excited when it comes to their town.
Again I'm not 'dooming or glooming' anyone,I was just explaining a reason to why people might be annoyed.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My point is that its unlikely that the majority of people are really annoyed. Unless something has changed which makes Coffs Harbour a special case, and the Titans have suddenly become responsible to the amount of games that NRL teams play there.
But I doubt that is the case. It never worried the Gold Coast fans.

lotti

Bench
probably hasn't, after what alledgedly happened a few years ago during a stay by the doggies.