What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TLT Eels v Titans

T-Boon

Coach
So you are effectively playing with 12 man except for the few times he needs to put in a 70m kick?

If that was all he did it totally wouldn't be worth it.

But what if he could kick a 20/40 or a 40/20 every set unless the defense had 3 defenders back covering and also when they were back he could get an extra 10metres every kick than the next best kicker?

He would also have to be at least as good as James Maloney in defence (he would be a big guy like a goal keeper so he would be a better defender than Maloney).

Yes, in the old money.

But what it means now is you have to defend against the 20/40 and if you don't it is crap defense.

They are trying to make defense a bit harder and two dimensional.
But you don't have to defend the 20/40 if they make it outside the 20. So let them?

Did you play or just practice drop kicks all day ?

I played till I was about 21. I was ok, but nothing more...focused on cricket and then a car accident sorted that out for a few years.. I didn't do anything unusual in terms of kicking practice...was just lucky I guess.

T-Boon

Coach
Probably but overall now you might be better off conserving energy in defence and just letting them advance outside the 20. Keeping them in there is a real effort. I don't think I've actually seen a 20/40 attempt.

I've never seen one tried but Ive seen many occasion where I think it would be worth a go.
Eg from the kick off.
They all run down in a straight line of dumbness. Even if it didn't come off you have a good chase on.
Anyone see that try from a kick off in the super league?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Interesting. Do you think league kickers are kicking a RL ball as far as it can be kicked?

I don't think so - they're worried about kicking it dead on the full, having the ball float into the in-goal area (resulting in a 20 metre restart, with 7 tackles), etc.

T-Boon

Coach
I don't think so - they're worried about kicking it dead on the full, having the ball float into the in-goal area (resulting in a 20 metre restart, with 7 tackles), etc.

Good point. A good RL long kick now seems to be one that goes high and gives the defenders time to amble down in a straight line without spending much energy. I guess its considered good RL from a coach perspective but in my opinion an ugly spectacle for sports fan.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Good point. A good RL long kick now seems to be one that goes high and gives the defenders time to amble down in a straight line without spending much energy. I guess its considered good RL from a coach perspective but in my opinion an ugly spectacle for sports fan.

I do agree.

We should kick to corners more, try cross-field bombs, chip-and-chases, etc. - but there is a time, and a place, for risky football, and most coaches want to play the percentages.

Still - a long kick deep into the corners, eith a strong chase, is more enjoyable to watch, than a midfield bomb every set

T-Boon

Coach
Does everyone agree that the captains challenge has been and excellent innovation? I think it has been a big success.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Does everyone agree that the captains challenge has been and excellent innovation? I think it has been a big success.
I think it's added to the fun. There are obviously downsides but I'd say overall it's a good thing. Bit of extra drama.

parra pete

Referee
I liked the Challenge where the captain appealed against a knock-on and won..Only to find that it was a change-over anyway on sixth tackle..I think it was DCE against Roosters...

Latest posts