What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To all the people who are defending the Melbourne Storm

i agree what else could they have done? how can you let an illegal team keep the premiership?

all the people whining get them under the cap and let them play for points would be the first ones screaming if they managed to make it to the semis and knocked their team out as far as im concerned we worry about the other 15 clubs first and the storm last

elbusto

Coach
i agree what else could they have done? how can you let an illegal team keep the premiership?

all the people whining get them under the cap and let them play for points would be the first ones screaming if they managed to make it to the semis and knocked their team out as far as im concerned we worry about the other 15 clubs first and the storm last
Nobody I have heard has suggested you let them keep the Premierships. What is being said is that they should be playing for points even if its from an impossible position.

And its players and coaches from other Clubs who are saying it.

cupid

Juniors
Nobody I have heard has suggested you let them keep the Premierships. What is being said is that they should be playing for points even if its from an impossible position.

And its players and coaches from other Clubs who are saying it.
Whats the point? They would end up with either negative points at the end of the season (why would you want to play for that) or zero, witch they are on now.

beave

Coach
but they are still 'competing' as such, they are still using an illegal squad to take on other teams and deny them the chance of getting any points to go towards the ladder.

my solution for this year

yep, strip them of their points they have earned this year

but instead of deeming their season futile what about this...........

they need to get under the cap, to do this they should be made to shed players for a week period. Let them all train together, but come game day, they should be made to have to sit down say 'x' amount of players (say 6-7 of their top 25) and every week it has to be a different set of players and over say a 4 week period every player in that squad must have been sat at least 1 game out. Tweak the numbers or whatever, but use that basic principle.

elbusto

Coach
but they are still 'competing' as such, they are still using an illegal squad to take on other teams and deny them the chance of getting any points to go towards the ladder.

they need to get under the cap, to do this they should be made to shed players for a week period. Let them all train together, but come game day, they should be made to have to sit down say 'x' amount of players (say 6-7 of their top 25) and every week it has to be a different set of players and over say a 4 week period every player in that squad must have been sat at least 1 game out. Tweak the numbers or whatever, but use that basic principle.
I agree - a number of different ideas have been put about this. But they should be playing for points.

Dazzat

First Grade

That's really punishing the players ... training but not playing. Worse than the current punishment in my opinion.

thorson1987

Coach
Simple. Let us get under the cap, start us on minus 10 and let us compete. I doubt we would even make the finals but it's better then nothing at all. At least at the end of the season we can say we got to where we finished legally, and had to do it the bloody hard way.

cupid

Juniors

What happens when they get injuries?

beave

Coach
That's really punishing the players ... training but not playing. Worse than the current punishment in my opinion.

in a 4 week period, the players still get to play a max of 3 games, the players still get to prove their worth for origin/rep selections. The other alternate is they don't get to play at all...........

Don't punish the fans and innocent players, Let Mebourne keep their premierships, record salary breaches in the record books, pay back the fines, have a handicap system, start at -20 points for the next 4 years.

Simple. Let us get under the cap, start us on minus 10 and let us compete. I doubt we would even make the finals but it's better then nothing at all. At least at the end of the season we can say we got to where we finished legally, and had to do it the bloody hard way.

yep what he said

i think what the nrl did was fine but the very last bit,i think if the team can get under the cap they should be able to compete this year and start on -10

elbusto

Coach
good idea.

LazyDreamer

Bench

Because said player rotation would be based (by the Storm) on the draw ahead. Playing a crap team in Melbourne? Smith, Inglis, Cronk, Slater, etc, can sit out. Playing a schidt-hot top team in Kogarah? Have your strongest (illegally gained) squad available, like they do every week when they only pick 17 & thus don't pick up to 8*.

*Depending on injuries.

Quidgybo

Bench
Whats the point? They would end up with either negative points at the end of the season (why would you want to play for that) or zero, witch they are on now.
With their playing squad cut back to comply with the cap and starting on -10 or -12 points so that they couldn't make the finals, they'd still have a number of things to play for. Avoiding finishing with negative points, catching the last place team to avoid the wooden spoon, proving they could win enough games while complying with the cap that they would've made the finals had it not been for the punishment, etc etc. It gives a purpose to the rest of their season and reason for the Melbourne rugby league public not to turn their back on the game. The damage is done and the punishment is rightfully severe. There's nothing to be gained by dragging this out and damaging the game even further.

Leigh.

Last edited: