What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Marsh or not to Marsh?

simmo1

First Grade
Cowan's cards were marked for being a total plodder at test level.

There's no doubt that Marsh and Wade have been given more chances than they deserve. But the likes of Cowan and Nevill had ample time to make the position their own, and they didnt take it.

Matt23

Staff member
Here’s a nasty thought for you all, what happens if Langer ever takes over from Boof, we’ll have both Darsh’s, Cartwright, Agar, Turner etc he’ll want them all picked...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Here’s a nasty thought for you all, what happens if Langer ever takes over from Boof, we’ll have both Darsh’s, Cartwright, Agar, Turner etc he’ll want them all picked...
Smith and Warner will be the only non Sandgropers left.

Bazal

Post Whore
This is Langer we are talking about.

Look there's no doubt Hazlewood and Starc are two of the most talented bowlers in world cricket, but we just felt that it was time to repay all the hard work Joel Paris and Nathan Coulter-Yangtze have done in domestic cricket over the years and that's why we've gone for them instead-Justin Langer, sometime in 2019.

typicalfan

Coach
Cowan's cards were marked for being a total plodder at test level.

There's no doubt that Marsh and Wade have been given more chances than they deserve. But the likes of Cowan and Nevill had ample time to make the position their own, and they didnt take it.
This is true but a lot of players resurrect their careers. Justin Langer is a perfect example. Plodder at first who in his last stint became a strong opening batsman.

Cowan at least his time had the weight of runs on his side but not enough to even be picked for NSW let alone Australia

TheParraboy

Staff member
In all seriousness I hope SMarsh pummels the poms , will show just how crap they really are.

Problem is though he will be picked for the flight to South Africa early next year for the 4 test series.

At 34 you would have thought he would have found consistency by now and averaging more than he is

TheParraboy

Staff member
This is true but a lot of players resurrect their careers. Justin Langer is a perfect example. Plodder at first who in his last stint became a strong opening batsman.

Cowan at least his time had the weight of runs on his side but not enough to even be picked for NSW let alone Australia

Langer and others were generally not in their mid 30s before being picked to resurrect their careers , probably why Marshs inclusion a bit puzzling, he hasn't been consistent

Matt23

Staff member
According to Rodney Hogg, Darsh’s back problems might make him a late scratching...

TheParraboy

Staff member
I guess we officially find out tomorrow morning

no complaints Maxy coming in, I think he could do damage to the poms this series

Timbo

Staff member
I'm going to say this -

Whilst I oppose both Marsh's in the test team, I strongly applaud both of their efforts to seek out first-class deals in County Cricket for next winter. Not enough Aussies do it anymore (admittedly it's much harder to get).

Travitoh

First Grade
Unpopular opinion.
I think Marsh will go well this series.

I've been dead set against his inclusion in the past but his form in Domestic cricket so far this season has been great. Something that can be attributed to spending winter playing County Cricket rather than chasing the $$$ playing T20 around the world.

Weatherald, Ferguson, Doolan, Harris and Lehmann all have more runs than SMarsh this summer yet missed out on selection. All 5 have hundreds (Weatherald 2) compared to SMarsh's 0.
Weatherald, Ferguson and Doolan all average 50+ with Lehmann not far off at 49.8. SMarsh averages 39.33.
Weatherald strikes at 56, SMarsh 58 and Doolan 59.5 while the remaining 3 strike above 65.
In fact, Bancroft's first innings against SA of 228 not out is only 8 runs short of SMarsh's Shield season.
Add to that his test average of 36 and it's very difficult to see why he was even in the discussion for test selection.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I'm going to say this -

Whilst I oppose both Marsh's in the test team, I strongly applaud both of their efforts to seek out first-class deals in County Cricket for next winter. Not enough Aussies do it anymore (admittedly it's much harder to get).

Preparation for the 2019 ashes?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I'm going to say this -

With Safrican Kolpak, IPL, CPL and the like - its never been easier for foreigners to get a county gig.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
media speculation

clickbait

never gonna happen, especially if we kick arse in Adelaide, they wont change the line up

Latest posts