What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toby Evans

franklin2323

Immortal
Finally he gets a game in Windsor.

He is the best half we have in the club. Hard to find a fault in his game lets hope he gets a few games at the end of the year.

Big Mick

Referee
Don't get the "finally" because he's only been back from a long term injury for what 4-5 weeks?

But it is great to see him get a shot and stake a claim.

Hopefully this is a sign that maybe Gus isn't going after external players but looking in-house?

Last edited:

ammatt

Juniors
I have not seen Toby play, but you guys must rate him very highly.
The times I have seen Scarlett play, I thought he looked very promising. Do you think he has a future at Penrith

franklin2323

Immortal
Don't get the "finally" because he's only been back from a long term injury for what 4-5 weeks?

He was back 3 weeks when we had the woeful Naiqama/Tighe halves. Also better then Foster at 7.

Part of the reason. I was against getting Carney besides him being a 6 was it locks up both halves leaving no room for Evans or Scarlett to come in.

franklin2323

Immortal
I have not seen Toby play, but you guys must rate him very highly.
The times I have seen Scarlett play, I thought he looked very promising. Do you think he has a future at Penrith

Yep. 1 or both should be the long term halfback.Scarlett is good but not complete yet.

Him being out for the season wont help that. He's great at taking the line on. Great short kicking but has poor last tackle options & not the longest pass.

It will come Evans was the same early on last year by the end imo was better then Siejka.

betcats

Referee
He was back 3 weeks when we had the woeful Naiqama/Tighe halves. Also better then Foster at 7.

Part of the reason. I was against getting Carney besides him being a 6 was it locks up both halves leaving no room for Evans or Scarlett to come in.

Ive been very critical of of Ivan and Gus this season but you are something else Franklin.

Seriously give them credit for promoting the 20s to windsor. Don't be annoyed they aren't doing in the order you want.

Its obvious there is a plan to get these guys NSW cup and then eventually NRL experience for the best of them.

Edit: Also to not want to sign an Origin player and former Dally M half when our club and its fans have been crying out for a half for years just to save a spot for unproven u20s halves is about the most ridiculous thing ive read all year.

You don't not sign good players because you have a kid or two who might be good. If the kids turn out as expected then it creates depth and competition for spots, if they dont then atleast you signed the good player when you had the chance.

Kids need to earn their spots, not be annointed when they havent even played a game. There is a lot ofhalves that starred in the NYC that havent worked out in FG or atleast were not ready to go straight out of NYC.

Its more then likely Evans and Scarlet wont be ready for a starting spot until the are 22-23. The next couple of weeks will be a good indication whether Evans will be ready earlier then that or not, but unless he absolutely tears NSW cup a new asshole for a couple weeks I epect him to play out most of the season in NSW cup and NYC.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Ive been very critical of of Ivan and Gus this season but you are something else Franklin.

Seriously give them credit for promoting the 20s to windsor. Don't be annoyed they aren't doing in the order you want.

Its obvious there is a plan to get these guys NSW cup and then eventually NRL experience for the best of them.

Edit: Also to not want to sign an Origin player and former Dally M half when our club and its fans have been crying out for a half for years just to save a spot for unproven u20s halves is about the most ridiculous thing ive read all year.

Read my original post. I am appluading the decision just curious why it didn't happen sooner seeing as we had Naiqama/Tighe halves.

What is Soward?

Premiership winner, SOO player etc. DCE or Johnson I have no issue with signing point me to where I had said different.

Tell me who else has halves aged 30 and 28? Especially as both are 5/8ths.

We needed a experienced half to take control of games we have it with Soward. He wont give us much more of a running game then we have now. So we need to pair him with a half that does. Given he will be 34 when this contract ends we have a few seasons to try and find someone to take over when he retires. 2 halves of similar ages makes that near impossible

We need a genuine half not another 5/8. The fact we have the marquee half means we can cover with the likes of John, Coote, Evans and co then make a play for Johnson or develop a long term 7.

Some days it's like you are on your rags must be that time again for you

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Soward will still be 32 at the end of his last season with the panthers btw.

According to the season preview Big League

Born November 13, 1984.

Makes him 29 going 30 during next season. Being that age injuries will become more frequent sadly. So we have the $900k we offered Carney to ensure we have some depth should injuries happen (It's us its almost guaranteed)

According to the season preview Big League

Born November 13, 1984.

Makes him 29 going 30 during next season. Being that age injuries will become more frequent sadly. So we have the $900k we offered Carney to ensure we have some depth should injuries happen (It's us its almost guaranteed)

He's 28 , turns 29 in November.

That birthdate means in his last season ( for the whole season) at the panthers he'll be 32.

He won't turn 33 until after his final year of his contract has ended.

betcats

Referee
Read my original post. I am appluading the decision just curious why it didn't happen sooner seeing as we had Naiqama/Tighe halves.

What is Soward?

Premiership winner, SOO player etc. DCE or Johnson I have no issue with signing point me to where I had said different.

Tell me who else has halves aged 30 and 28? Especially as both are 5/8ths.

We needed a experienced half to take control of games we have it with Soward. He wont give us much more of a running game then we have now. So we need to pair him with a half that does. Given he will be 34 when this contract ends we have a few seasons to try and find someone to take over when he retires. 2 halves of similar ages makes that near impossible

We need a genuine half not another 5/8. The fact we have the marquee half means we can cover with the likes of John, Coote, Evans and co then make a play for Johnson or develop a long term 7.

Some days it's like you are on your rags must be that time again for you

You say we should just buy one or develop one as if it is an easy thing to do.

There is a shortage of halves in Rugby league atm and you wanted to not sign one of the best halves currently running around so we can develop someone to take over longterm, problem is as NRL clubs have found out, developing a good half is very f**king hard.

As for rags comment, most of what you post gives me the shits, I just ignore you a lot.

franklin2323

Immortal
He's 28 , turns 29 in November.

That birthdate means in his last season ( for the whole season) at the panthers he'll be 32.

He won't turn 33 until after his final year of his contract has ended.

Point taken. Bottom line he wont get quicker as he gets older. To have 2 halves costing towards $2m both on the way down having 1 playing where they may not be able to (halfback) is just crazy.

We can get Soward and 3-4 younger halves even if none kick on as depth should injuries arise it's a better option imo.

Of Course a proven 7 like DCE or Johnson come up for grabs you throw everything at them. both have 10 good years left played in GF's and Tests more importantly both are actual number 7's

franklin2323

Immortal
You say we should just buy one or develop one as if it is an easy thing to do.

There is a shortage of halves in Rugby league atm and you wanted to not sign one of the best halves currently running around so we can develop someone to take over longterm, problem is as NRL clubs have found out, developing a good half is very f**king hard.

As for rags comment, most of what you post gives me the shits, I just ignore you a lot.

But say we get Carney and Soward & Carney can't play 7 and we struggle (which with 2 5/8ths is a chance).We have no options. We have a steady half that we needed so are better off for starters. Now we can go for an actual half Johnson especially but 3 or 4 options and see how they go.

He's a 5/8 as is Soward we need an organiser. If he was 7 go for it.

Of course I writestuff that annoys you anyone doesn't agree with you don't like it. Like when you told Chris D to shove his dick in a cheese grater because he didn't share your views on Brown as a centre.

We have Mansour in the centres so we see if he was right this week or not.

Point taken. Bottom line he wont get quicker as he gets older. To have 2 halves costing towards $2m both on the way down having 1 playing where they may not be able to (halfback) is just crazy.

We can get Soward and 3-4 younger halves even if none kick on as depth should injuries arise it's a better option imo.

Of Course a proven 7 like DCE or Johnson come up for grabs you throw everything at them. both have 10 good years left played in GF's and Tests more importantly both are actual number 7's

Yeah I agree with that.

Although Soward is quicker than your average half. I'd say even at 28 he'd easily compete with 20-21 year olds for pace.

Hopefully at 31-32 he'll still compete with those in their mid 20's.

betcats

Referee
But say we get Carney and Soward & Carney can't play 7 and we struggle (which with 2 5/8ths is a chance).We have no options. We have a steady half that we needed so are better off for starters. Now we can go for an actual half Johnson especially but 3 or 4 options and see how they go.

He's a 5/8 as is Soward we need an organiser. If he was 7 go for it.

Of course I writestuff that annoys you anyone doesn't agree with you don't like it. Like when you told Chris D to shove his dick in a cheese grater because he didn't share your views on Brown as a centre.

We have Mansour in the centres so we see if he was right this week or not.

Of course I don't like it when people don't agree with me, do you? Lol that is stupid, But your crap gives me the shits more then usual.

And I disagree that Soward and Carney couldnt play together, pure and simple. Carney is a running half and Soward is an organiser and kicker. Soward never ran the ball much, mostly just directed that dragons team around and kicked.

I dont think ChrisD ever mentioned moving mansour to centres...he wanted Wes. I dont care how mansour goes, Im still positive Brown did a better a better job then Wes would of in the games Brown played centre, which was the crux of the argument. Don't know why you brought that cheese grater comment up lol makes you seem like a bitch imo.

franklin2323

Immortal
And I disagree that Soward and Carney couldnt play together, pure and simple. Carney is a running half and Soward is an organiser and kicker. Soward never ran the ball much, mostly just directed that dragons team around and kicked.

It's the way you throw a hissy fit not so much people not agreeing. I said the same in the Williams or Carney thread no hissy fit just a normal convo. Yet time of the month today I guess

Yeah 900k on a maybe too risky.

Or we get for the same:

Coote $450k
John $150k
Capewell $85k
Humble $85k

Total 770k.

Leaving us money to go after Johnson who is an actual half. 23 so 10 years left. Played tests and GF's who can also play under our coach.

See not saying we keep Evans but the option is there if in 12 months he's where he should be. There wouldn't be if we went the Carney/Soward gamble

The cheese grater proves you are a knob to others here.

betcats

Referee
It's the way you throw a hissy fit not so much people not agreeing. I said the same in the Williams or Carney thread no hissy fit just a normal convo. Yet time of the month today I guess

Yeah 900k on a maybe too risky.

Or we get for the same:

Coote $450k
John $150k
Capewell $85k
Humble $85k

Total 770k.

Leaving us money to go after Johnson who is an actual half. 23 so 10 years left. Played tests and GF's who can also play under our coach.

See not saying we keep Evans but the option is there if in 12 months he's where he should be. There wouldn't be if we went the Carney/Soward gamble

The cheese grater proves you are a knob to others here.

Insulting someone is throwing a hissy fit is it? Lol I say most of that shit tongue in cheek, you blokes are just too sensitive for me.

Id rather sign the gun half rather then depend on us MAYBE being able to sign or develop one.

edit:Beerhunter lol, thats a new one.

Last edited:

Latest posts