What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Today's Leader

Sideline Eye

Juniors
About time the club looks into the "local junior" problem, that being no recognition and when it does happen, how late it comes.

The Popper

Bench
Wasn't a problem years ago, but now it seems to be a MAJOR problem. What's the go these days, SLE. Do they still have the scouts? Blokes like Billy Edge, Ned Woodford, and Stan Heley were often on the lookout for young blokes coming thru. Doesn't that happen these days?

fizman

Bench
The Popper said:
Wasn't a problem years ago, but now it seems to be a MAJOR problem. What's the go these days, SLE. Do they still have the scouts? Blokes like Billy Edge, Ned Woodford, and Stan Heley were often on the lookout for young blokes coming thru. Doesn't that happen these days?

They do still have scouts Popper, in far and wide places. There are problems with the current process, but here isn't the place to bring those up.

Bundy

Juniors
Yes Popper, I'm sure he is. I had the pleasure of playing minor pairs championship with him a couple of years ago. He's a funny bloke.

Recruiting young blokes has never been a problem as far as im concerned, more what happens to them between Flegg and First Grade.

That leader article read to me that the football operations in regards to junior development, retention of players and coaching structure will be subject to the review. While this is a good start none of this revolves around what is the real problem this forum talks about.

Macca

Coach
Yeah it has been identified as a major problem NCL. That's the reasoning behind this coaching co-ordinator position. It's not really to co-ordinate coaching but to open communication channels between flegg, PL and FG coach and see blokes with ability progress through the grades when they deserve to. I always thought that was the first grade coaches job but apparently it's not happening.

Thomo.

First Grade
Macca said:
Yeah it has been identified as a major problem NCL. That's the reasoning behind this coaching co-ordinator position. It's not really to co-ordinate coaching but to open communication channels between flegg, PL and FG coach and see blokes with ability progress through the grades when they deserve to. I always thought that was the first grade coaches job but apparently it's not happening.

good. open communication is what we need in that area.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
thomo_shark said:
good. open communication is what we need in that area.

I think more talk is what the club doesnt need.
its not f*cken hard to see who is ready for a run in 1st grade.
Problem is, Raper doesnt replace position for position. If there is an injury, the entire team gets shuffled to accommodate the next best player.

Thomo.

First Grade
but hasn't it been mentioned that raper doesn't know much background on the lower grades? and hence he may need some form of lines of communication to highlight the right playes for the right positions

Bundy

Juniors
To terminate another coach would look terrible, but not to and to suffer another year like this one. IMO that would be worse in the long term, crowd numbers would be way down, signings would be worse, retention would be non-existant.
Clean slate, give Lammy a run, a coach stepping up through the ranks is just as good as a player doing the same. It's growth, and it shows a purpose and a reward for putting in the hard yards.

Latest posts