What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

taxidriver

Coach
Plus

Dragons ten games gong 2 at allianz

tigers ten games Campbelltown 2 games at allianz

manly kicked out and central coast bears in their place

that would be the ideal solution which will never happen

tigers just had 70 million spent on their centre of excellence at concord oval

ideal for you?

tigers, magpies, steelers and dragons have done their share. they should be untouchable in any shakeup

Pneuma

First Grade
Tigers need to commit to a main base and play majority of their home games at one venue that is for sure. I would go with Campbelltown and work with the A-League team to get some upgrades. Play 9-10 there with a couple at Leichardt and maybe Accor when they host Easter Monday.

Plenty of people would probably disagree but whether it be Campbelltown, Accor or Bankwest they need to pick one major venue. Likewise Dragons should be 9-3 split Wollongong-SFS but mergers are messy.
These are solid logical thoughts.

mongoose

Coach
its The Roar, you realise anyone can submit articles on that site. Even their regular writers should be taken with a grain of salt - still better and more reliable than Daily Telegraph though lol
Sometimes The Roar can be good, I suspect @Perth Red will enjoy this one...

flippikat

Bench
When you talk about alienating their base how many are alienating as it's not like AFL with double the crowds...how many fans are the Waratahs alienating just playing at the SFS and not North Sydney and Manly....1 ground 1 team apart from derbies and on the road games to smaller population areas and country teams.Is it me or you don't see the NFL doing this with it's 32 teams and massive population apart from the oversea games.
You see, that's the thing. Have the Wests Tigers/Balmain/Wests Ashfield done any cost-benefit analysis about the pros and cons of moving fully or mostly to Campbelltown?

I know they'd lose some support here & gain some support there.. but do they know what the tradeoff is?

We also have to factor in the point made previously that the Campbelltown Leagues club is a separate thing.. so if the money goes to them from game day patronage, where's the incentive for Wests Tigers?

Again, it sounds like something that maybe needs restructuring so that a team that covers the south-west plays there, and has good incentive to play there.

Comparisons with NSW Waratahs are invalid as it's a 1-city team, so needs to be in the best & most central stadium.

Bukowski

Juniors
You see, that's the thing. Have the Wests Tigers/Balmain/Wests Ashfield done any cost-benefit analysis about the pros and cons of moving fully or mostly to Campbelltown?

I know they'd lose some support here & gain some support there.. but do they know what the tradeoff is?

We also have to factor in the point made previously that the Campbelltown Leagues club is a separate thing.. so if the money goes to them from game day patronage, where's the incentive for Wests Tigers?

Again, it sounds like something that maybe needs restructuring so that a team that covers the south-west plays there, and has good incentive to play there.

Comparisons with NSW Waratahs are invalid as it's a 1-city team, so needs to be in the best & most central stadium.
Wests Campbelltown fund the Macarthur juniors and are a sponsor of Wests tigers though.

The Great Dane

First Grade
ideal for you?

tigers, magpies, steelers and dragons have done their share. they should be untouchable in any shakeup
Nobody is untouchable, especially not what are two of the worst run clubs in the league.

Besides, if they'd actually 'done their share' they wouldn't have committed themselves to half measures and would be successful football clubs by now instead of the slow motion car crashes that they are.

The Great Dane

First Grade

What they're doing at the moment isn't working, so they've got no choice but to make changes.

I'm not convinced that Campbelltown is the saviour that many believe it to be, in fact I'm pretty convinced that it's not, but they need to explore all their options.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Nobody is untouchable, especially not what are two of the worst run clubs in the league.

Besides, if they'd actually 'done their share' they wouldn't have committed themselves to half measures and would be successful football clubs by now instead of the slow motion car crashes that they are.
As an ex Steelers fan such as myself, they should be untouchable for a fair while at least. Four teams became two. The mergers took place in the late nineties, and both the Tigers and the Dragons have won a premiership. Meanwhile your team hasn't won one since 1994.

If the Tigers and Dragons can sort out their home grounds, then they can be successful. That is the key.

flippikat

Bench
What they're doing at the moment isn't working, so they've got no choice but to make changes.

I'm not convinced that Campbelltown is the saviour that many believe it to be, in fact I'm pretty convinced that it's not, but they need to explore all their options.
True, and one thought that occurs to me reading that last point is "If Campbelltown is the saviour, then why didn't it work for Western Suburbs in he late 1980s-1990s?"

Maybe the failure of the Magpies to thrive there after their mid-80s relocation means the Tigers need to look elsewhere for a permanent home?

taxidriver

Coach

couldn't disagree more

since 99, Saints have two minor premierships, two grand final appearances, a premiership and 12 finals appearances

by contrast the raiders have zero minor premierships, zero premierships, one grand final appearance and made the finals 12 times

try again

the league needed sides to merge, these 4 did it. they have done their bit

The Great Dane

First Grade
As an ex Steelers fan such as myself, they should be untouchable for a fair while at least. Four teams became two. The mergers took place in the late nineties, and both the Tigers and the Dragons have won a premiership. Meanwhile your team hasn't won one since 1994.

If the Tigers and Dragons can sort out their home grounds, then they can be successful. That is the key.
Their mergers and success on the pitch are totally irrelevant in this discussion, and both have consistently proven themselves incapable of sorting out even their most minor issues because of infighting and incompetence.

So yeah, you can f**k right off with such emotive nonsense.

The Great Dane

First Grade
True, and one thought that occurs to me reading that last point is "If Campbelltown is the saviour, then why didn't it work for Western Suburbs in he late 1980s-1990s?"

Maybe the failure of the Magpies to thrive there after their mid-80s relocation means the Tigers need to look elsewhere for a permanent home?
Times are very different to the 80s and 90s TBF.

The Great Dane

First Grade
couldn't disagree more

since 99, Saints have two minor premierships, two grand final appearances, a premiership and 12 finals appearances

by contrast the raiders have zero minor premierships, zero premierships, one grand final appearance and made the finals 12 times

try again

the league needed sides to merge, these 4 did it. they have done their bit
Since 99 the Raiders have become one of the best run clubs in the league, with multiple successful businesses and reliable sources of income, and millions of dollars in assets. A corporate behemoth by NRL standards.

By contrast the Dragons and Tigers are incompetent f**k ups that have bumbled through one disaster after another over the last two decades.

Their success on the pitch is irrelevant in a discussion about their businesses practices, and the fact that they've merged in past has very little bearing on the present or their constant struggles since the mergers.

Nobody is untouchable, and your clubs aren't special because of ancient history.

mongoose

Coach

what changes do you think they should make - relocate, rebrand, split up the joint venture ?

The Great Dane

First Grade
what changes do you think they should make - relocate, rebrand, split up the joint venture ?
The Dragons joint venture has already effectively split up.

But to answer you're question, they should explore all their options openly and honestly until they find workable solutions.

From where I'm standing it seem obvious that both need a proper clear out of their boards and administrations, with a goal to filling positions with neutral and objective people that place the business first, both need to pick a single home ground and stick to it, and that at least the Tigers need to pick a single identity, rebrand to fit that identity, and stick to it.

Other than those points it's all market research and backroom business dealings that they need to figure out on their own.

Wb1234

Referee

Hahhahahaa

omg this is funny

flippikat

Bench
Hmm.. the topic of the joint ventures' failure (or at least failure to live up to expectations - rightly or wrongly held) seems to have taken over this thread... should we spin this off into separate discussion threads on the Dragons & Tigers future (maybe one for each?), and ideas on how to get them to their potential? *shrugs*

The Raiders generate more money from football operations than the Tigers. I don't know what the Dragons generate, but it cannot be much as their corporate suites, attendances and membership aren't very strong.

In the world of professional sport the most important measurement of a club's viability is how much money they generate from their fanbase and corporate sector. St George, Illawarra, Western Suburbs and Balmain struggled before they merged. Twenty plus years after they merged they're still struggling. The point of merging was to make them more viable.

Last edited:
The Dragons joint venture has already effectively split up.

But to answer you're question, they should explore all their options openly and honestly until they find workable solutions.

From where I'm standing it seem obvious that both need a proper clear out of their boards and administrations, with a goal to filling positions with neutral and objective people that place the business first, both need to pick a single home ground and stick to it, and that at least the Tigers need to pick a single identity, rebrand to fit that identity, and stick to it.

Other than those points it's all market research and backroom business dealings that they need to figure out on their own.
The Tigers need to alienate themselves from Western Suburbs and Balmain. Rebrand as Western Sydney Tigers and sell the licence to businessmen who will invest in the club. Play all games at Parramatta Stadium. Gold and black for their colour scheme. No more Magpies logos. No more games at Leichhardt and Campbelltown. No more "Wests" Tigers.

That's a very good point about Campbelltown. Forty years of history suggests it is incapable of supporting a professional rugby league club.

Last edited: