What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Wests have had the power and 90% ownership since about 2015 now though.
There are two Wests. Macarthur next to the ground in Luemeah, and Ashfield. They had a falling out some years ago. Wests Macarthur withdrew from funding the W Tigers but still supports the junior league in their backyard.
Wests Ashfield controls the W Tigers. Concord, where the training headquarters are, is part of the historic Wests Magpies area before they moved out to Macarthur.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Wests Tigers should really be focusing at the SW corridor and be at Campbelltown. Old Wests Magpies only moved to Campbelltown or Orana Park as it was known back in 1987. The Magpies only had 13 seasons in the top flight at Campbelltown. Merger was announced in '99 and the Wests Tigers began the following year. Prior to that, the Magpies played at Lidcombe Oval.

Bukowski

Juniors
There are two Wests. Macarthur next to the ground in Luemeah, and Ashfield. They had a falling out some years ago. Wests Macarthur withdrew from funding the W Tigers but still supports the junior league in their backyard.
Wests Ashfield controls the W Tigers. Concord, where the training headquarters are, is part of the historic Wests Magpies area before they moved out to Macarthur.
Yes, I'm well aware of that. It still doesn't make sense that they basically ignore the huge SW area.

greenBV4

Bench
are there terms or anything of the merger stating both sides need to maintain some percentage of ownership? or have wests just chosen to not buy the club outright?
is there anything actually stopping this happening and the club reverting to the magpies?

Bukowski

Juniors
are there terms or anything of the merger stating both sides need to maintain some percentage of ownership? or have wests just chosen to not buy the club outright?
is there anything actually stopping this happening and the club reverting to the magpies?
Wests have generously let Balmain retain 10% of ownership and have seats on the board but could kick them to the kerb if they wish. They line from western suburbs is that the NRL own the logo and trademarks so they can't change back to the Magpies. But I doubt if the NRL would care if the club wanted to change to the Magpies.

Wb1234

Referee
No

RedVee_8

Juniors
Wests Tigers should really be focusing at the SW corridor and be at Campbelltown. Old Wests Magpies only moved to Campbelltown or Orana Park as it was known back in 1987. The Magpies only had 13 seasons in the top flight at Campbelltown. Merger was announced in '99 and the Wests Tigers began the following year. Prior to that, the Magpies played at Lidcombe Oval.
and prior to that, Pratten Park Ashfield.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. It still doesn't make sense that they basically ignore the huge SW area.
As a Campbelltown local for over 30 years now…. There is a lot of annoyance here, even among supporters that I know, about the WTigers not being out here enough.

I am not sure, but I think that may have been a NRL thing. Around the time they were directing the composition of their board.

Clubs get more than half their revenue from corporate game day sales and sponsorships. i suspect theres not many wealthy companies in the Campbelltown region hence the reluctance for anyone to be based there.

the idea of the tigers becoming WS Tigers owned by a wealthy consortium rather than a pokie den and playing Ft out of WSS makes the most sense.

If WS needs the Tigers when it has 3-4 clubs already covering the region is a different discussion

The only way I can see the club surviving and potentially thriving is by divorcing itself from Balmain Tigers and Wests Magpies.

Western Sydney Tigers. Gold and black. All games at Parramatta Stadium.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Yes the fact the f eits in marketing think they can sell more merch with a tiger emblem on it....sad I know...thats rugby league

The Partisan

There’s no chance of a Sydney club relocating.
Yes I agree on this issue. Well at least not a voluntary relocation. I think the door has closed on that option.

Teams discussed in the relocation issue are normally nonperforming on and/or off the field at the time and these can change at any time. Would the Panthers or Bunnies be realistically discussed as potential relocated clubs at the moment? Tigers and Dogs are having a few lean years now .... but will they be doing so in 3-5 years' time?

The NRL would be hesitant to disengage with supporters of a relocated (realistically another lost) Sydney club.

Latest posts