What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg

ek999

First Grade
We need a football person as the Head of Football.

Todd had a care factor of zero about RL until he landed the job with the Olympic Stadium and then the Dogs.

He worked for the Bulldogs before he worked for the Olympic Stadium

Tommy Smith

Referee
I just get annoyed by the way the smarmy prick talks. A true snake oil salesman if there ever was one.
This seconded.

Like many execs he's great at selling himself. Not so much the product under his watch.

And after his handling of the shoulder charge affair he should be stood down. What was wrong with the rule in the first place? We saw very few shoulder charges, and when we did see one make contact with the head or cause injury it resulted in a charge. Everyone bar the Les Boyd wannabees were at least content with that.

But by changing the rule so dramatically and charging people for minor shoulder charges (when a penalty should be sufficient ) and even accidental collisions they've turned the game into a farce; all of a month out from the finals.

That sort of incompetence should cost people their jobs.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
The culture of no accountability at the NRL continues. All the strong statements he made since the Evans shot and now the DT is reporting they have changed their mind on some of the tweaks they made. This is beyond a joke now. If this is what they think is a strategic way to run and improve the game then I am seriously worried about the future of the NRL.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Betcats, read properly mate. The statement "for all we know" is not an assumption, but was used to imply ignorance of the current situation, and to also remain open to some of the positive outcomes that could transpire. My point was all the pessimistic doom and gloom posts that Dave Smith has screwed up is not based on anything factual, and no one really has anything idea what will happen next.

Where do you get this $1.7b number from?

Do you realise the same people in the media throwing these numbers around also predicted that Nine were only going to increase their previous bid of $475m to $600m just before the Nine deal was announced?

So what happened, did they bid $600m? No.. $925m.

I cant find anything official on 1.7b(just media reports no official statements) so we can assume that's a media creation if you like it doesn't really matter. From what I can tell unless they pull off something miraculous with the remaining games they have to sell then the gap in value of our deal and the afls is increasing. Now I never expected to reach parity with the AFL(more games to sell and more adds can fit in) but if the gap in value per year of the deals is getting larger then I wont to know why. Im not saying they have stuffed up as anything could happen but I am struggling to see how selling to 9 before speaking to all the bidders was the best move. Murdochs comments mean nothing to me as he is a clown and we all know FOX will bid for those remaining games but whats the point of antagonizing them? It doesn't help the NRL at all and likely has helped the AFL get a better deal.

It has absolutely helped the vfl get a better deal. Even before considering what it means for the NRL deal, this fact in itself demonstrates the incompetence of the NRL. To provoke news into giving vfl, their main competitor, more cash has to be one of the stupidest things any sport admin has ever done.

But its OK. Davey has a devoted fan club who will stick up for him no matter what so its Greenberg who will be the scapegoat if they even decide to appoint one. And based on the cluster f**k we have at the moment that can't be far off.

Tommy Smith

Referee
If NewsCorp wanted to give the AFL a few hundred million more out of spite to the NRL then that's their problem. It falls into line with a whole line of reckless and stupid decisions they've made over the years. And instead of blaming Dave Smith we should be laughing at NewsCorp for paying well overs for a product that has about as much value as MASH re-runs in NSW and QLD.

betcats

Referee
If NewsCorp wanted to give the AFL a few hundred million more out of spite to the NRL then that's their problem. It falls into line with a whole line of reckless and stupid decisions they've made over the years. And instead of blaming Dave Smith we should be laughing at NewsCorp for paying well overs for a product that has about as much value as MASH re-runs in NSW and QLD.

I find this pretty silly tbh. Like it or not for this new deal atleast news will very likely be our 2nd largest financial contributor and broadcaster, no matter how you spin it straining our relationship with them while providing the AFL with a financial windfall is stupid as f**k imo.

I still don't see how selling the major half of the rights without speaking to all bidders will get the NRL the best deal? Everyone(most fans anyway) hates 9 yet here we are supposed to praise Smith for basically given them exclusive bargaining rights for the best games we have.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
I'd hazard a guess that expansion would give them one of their top rating slots back, but for the most part Smith is banking on Foxtel simply not being as big a player in the media landscape by 2018-2020.

betcats

Referee
I dunno, given the way they seem to be making shit up on the run with the footy side of things it would not surprise if they are doing the same here.

adamkungl

Immortal
I dunno, given the way they seem to be making shit up on the run with the footy side of things it would not surprise if they are doing the same here.

Weren't you disagreeing with me for most of that shoulder charge thread :sarcasm:

betcats

Referee
Weren't you disagreeing with me for most of that shoulder charge thread :sarcasm:

Whats your point? Similar to sterlo, matty Johns and even big Willie I support the ban I think you cant argue with the doctors and lawyers when player safety is concerned. I don't support the farce they have made of it because of the Evans hit and the confusion and embarrassment that has caused.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I'm not saying I agree with what the NRL have done. It's too early to judge the deal. But all the same they shouldn't shoulder responsibility for Rupert's $300-400 million wasteful hissy fit.

Personally, and this is pure baseless fan fantasy; I would have guaranteed the introduction of two more franchises in 2018 (Perth, CQ/2nd Brisbane region team) and sold the rights for 9 games.

I would have given Nine a Friday night and Sunday 4pm game as well as a simulcast of a Saturday night 7.30pm game with Fox. I would have given a Sunday 6pm game to either 7 or 10 for the sake of competition to encourage broadcast quality.

And Fox could have had exclusive Thursday night and Sunday afternoon games as well as a Super Duper Saturday consisting of a 1.30, 3.30, 5.30 and the 7.30pm simulcast game. Factor in overseas and digital rights and surwly such a deal xould have garnered north of 2b.

But again, that's just pure armchair fantasy. However I've no doubt the extra game could, and still should, lead to mammoth possibilities so I hope the NRL consider it. Especially with the flexible Perth timeslot.

betcats

Referee
Fair enough Tommy, perhaps I am being harsh on Smith he may have something up his sleeve...we'll have to wait for the rest of the deal to get done I suppose.

adamkungl

Immortal
Whats your point? Similar to sterlo, matty Johns and even big Willie I support the ban I think you cant argue with the doctors and lawyers when player safety is concerned. I don't support the farce they have made of it because of the Evans hit and the confusion and embarrassment that has caused.

My bitching about the shoulder charge ban and subsequent crackdown was largely due to the part it plays in the overall direction of the game, which is what you're complaining about now. Yes, I disagree with the initial ban on principle but for the last couple of years it's been mostly tolerable. The bigger issue, highlighted by the last 2 weeks, is the NRLs reactionary rulemaking, their inability to even implement their own rules effectively, and the slippery slope (which people will keep denying despite it being visibly in effect) into "safe" but boring footy.

Anyway. Back to the main issue.... Webster gets it. Andrew Webster constantly impresses as a League journo, hits the mark far more often than not.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...th-must-fix-rugby-league-20150820-gj3ful.html

If NRL boss Dave Smith is to fill the billion-dollar black hole of the next broadcast deal, he needs to fix something quite important ? the game.
Three players being promptly cleared of shoulder charge offences at the judiciary on Wednesday night highlighted the calamity.
For three years, the NRL has wrestled with this issue. Three years. Yet it still can't work out the difference between a "shoulder charge" and a "shoulder collision".

AFL is best watched at the ground, but rugby league remains the perfect television product. It won't be, however, unless some fundamental change happens between the sidelines.
The jury is still out to lunch and deep into a three-day bender as it argues if Smith has made the right call in signing a $925m broadcast deal with Channel Nine for four matches from 2018, with the other billion to come from other media.
That shock announcement raised the middle finger to Fox Sports, and at the same time embarrassed and angered one of the most influential men on the planet.

Channelling Montgomery Burns from The Simpsons, News Corp supremo Rupert Murdoch smacked down rugby league and Smith when he bizarrely fronted the announcement of the AFL's $2.508 billion broadcast deal in Melbourne on Tuesday.
The Empire strikes back. And how.
Murdoch's claim that his company had "always preferred Aussie Rules" has raised all the eyebrows, not least because it rewrites history. (Er, Super League? Hello?)
But this from News Corp chief executive Robert Thomson could not have been clearer: "Our intention is to make it [the AFL] even greater. It's an influential game and we intend to make it even more influential by complementing a wonderful sport with the powerful platforms we have in this country, and that includes the power of print as well as the depth of digital."
Thomson then added that News Corp ? which owns Fox Sports and is half-owner of Foxtel with Telstra ? would be pushing AFL in the rugby league heartlands of NSW and Queensland because "there is obviously a growth opportunity because this is a wonderful game".

Just how many readers would buy The Daily Telegraph and The Courier-Mail with scant rugby league coverage would be interesting, but the general translation is this: we will starve the game of relevance, because we can.
Thomson is an AFL and Essendon tragic, and close to former Bombers coach James Hird, who has previously described Thomson as "a great friend and mentor to me".
If the hard talk was supposed to spook Smith, the word out of NRL headquarters is that it didn't. He was expecting to be whacked back, although this was a thunderous right cross.
The fact remains, though, that without NRL matches Fox Sports is half a network. Without live rugby league, how many already jaded Foxtel subscribers would ask for a disconnection?

There is two years left to run on the current broadcast deal, giving Smith plenty of time to break bread with Mr Burns.
But Smith and the NRL will only be in a position of strength if it urgently repairs a game that is increasingly difficult to watch.
At 4pm last Sunday, I came to crossroads of my life. Netball or rugby league?
Instead of watching the Bulldogs against the Titans on Nine, I watched the Diamonds sweep to victory in the Netball World Cup final against New Zealand on Ten.
Rugby league administrators need to realise the game is becoming mind-numbingly frustrating to watch. There's a sprinkling of cracking games, although many are not.
Those who apply the rules of the game send mixed messages.

The game's commentariat has simplified the shoulder charge discussion down to this: players are doing to die ? or the game has gone soft. The judiciary has now made it as clear as mud.
The crackdown on wrestling techniques has been promised for years. As we saw on Monday night, as the Storm entangled themselves in the legs of Sharks players, they are hollow threats.
Meanwhile, referees will penalise defenders who have taken a nanosecond too long to get out of a tackle, but other players grab a ball carrier's leg, further slowing down the ruck with impunity.
Forward passes? Jesus wept. Short balls out of dummy half are often passed diagonally forward? but beautiful, spiralling cut-outs that hit the chest of a winger at speed are immediately pulled up.

In other news, shot clocks will be trialled in under-20s matches this weekend to stop time-wasting at scums and line drop-outs.
An idea: to improve the speed and flow of the game, we could limit the video referee to whether a try has been scored instead of every single 50-50 decision on the field. Let's leave that to the four officials in the middle.
Speaking of those officials, when two players start to "play fight", grabbing at each others jumpers and making really angry faces, and then every player runs in, there's no need to stop the clock, bring the players out, and their respective captains, and then tell them not to "play fight" anymore.
There's at least 10 minutes that can be saved per game, right there.

Last year, I said in this space that the game is a mess. Not much has changed, as the game applies band-aids to the wounds.
"You've got to give it to Dave Smith ? he's got balls," said one media heavyweight last Monday after the Nine deal was trumpeted.
We're about to learn how big they are. But to get the remaining billion, he needs to fix the game.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...gby-league-20150820-gj3ful.html#ixzz3jP1sbKCY
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

But but but they got rid of the first and last bid rights deal.

...and replaced it by just not even talking to anyone else.

Oh and god damn news and their bullshit. Its so bad the smh is infected..

betcats

Referee
My bitching about the shoulder charge ban and subsequent crackdown was largely due to the part it plays in the overall direction of the game, which is what you're complaining about now. Yes, I disagree with the initial ban on principle but for the last couple of years it's been mostly tolerable. The bigger issue, highlighted by the last 2 weeks, is the NRLs reactionary rulemaking, their inability to even implement their own rules effectively, and the slippery slope (which people will keep denying despite it being visibly in effect) into "safe" but boring footy.

We have had this discussion already as you said but look I agree with a lot of what you say here(the bold especially) I am just of the opinion that with the advice they were given they had to ban the shoulder charge. I agree they haven't done it well and It was a bit reactionary after the GI/young hit of course that does bother me a bit but overall im ok with the ban, I think it was the right call.