What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Hopeless.

Three years of crap.

He gets 12 months to get his sheet together. I'd bet the NRL are already looking to the future.

adamkungl

Immortal
He needs to go this offseason. Hope the clubs kick up a stink. Greenberg is costing clubs gate $.

Last Week

Bench
I'm not saying I agree with what the NRL have done. It's too early to judge the deal. But all the same they shouldn't shoulder responsibility for Rupert's $300-400 million wasteful hissy fit.

Personally, and this is pure baseless fan fantasy; I would have guaranteed the introduction of two more franchises in 2018 (Perth, CQ/2nd Brisbane region team) and sold the rights for 9 games.

I would have given Nine a Friday night and Sunday 4pm game as well as a simulcast of a Saturday night 7.30pm game with Fox. I would have given a Sunday 6pm game to either 7 or 10 for the sake of competition to encourage broadcast quality.

And Fox could have had exclusive Thursday night and Sunday afternoon games as well as a Super Duper Saturday consisting of a 1.30, 3.30, 5.30 and the 7.30pm simulcast game. Factor in overseas and digital rights and surwly such a deal xould have garnered north of 2b.

But again, that's just pure armchair fantasy. However I've no doubt the extra game could, and still should, lead to mammoth possibilities so I hope the NRL consider it. Especially with the flexible Perth timeslot.

The issue with having 9 doing the 4pm Sunday game and either 7 or 10 doing the 6pm Sunday game, is it effectively kills the "halo" effect that 9 use to actually make money with sport (ratings for the show after, their news). With one game finishing at 6 and another starting at the same time on another channel, it effectively ensures a large amount of people switch over to a rival channel. No halo effect.

The timeslots I think we'll likely see with a 9 game format are

Thursday 8pm NINE (simulcast on FOX)

Friday 8pm NINE (simulcast on FOX)

Saturday 2pm FOX
Saturday 4pm FOX
Saturday 6pm FOX
Saturday 8pm NINE (simulcast on FOX)

Sunday 2pm FOX
Sunday 4pm NINE (simulcast on FOX)
Sunday 6:30pm FOX

Now, me personally, I was hoping for 2 Sunday 4pm games, one exclusive to 9 and one exclusive to FOX, purely so that we'd have more Sunday football. But I think we'll maximize our value with no overlaps in matches and all being live.

I can see the Saturday 8pm game starting at 7:30pm so that 9 news can have the lead in to it. But that does create the issue of overlapping with the 6pm FOX game. Exciting times.

Lambretta

First Grade
The NRL have totally lost me

Last week when I opened the paper I couldn't believe what I was reading
The NRL had announced a $900 million deal with one broadcaster and were trying to get the rest to cough up another billion for the scraps. Seriously?

Smith is supposed to be some brilliant negotiator. Who negotiates with all their cards on the table? How arrogant are the NRL?

Dear Foxtel, we've sold the best stuff to Channel 9, now we want you to pay a huge amount of money for Penrith v Canberra or the Warriors v Gold Coast Titans

Dear NRL - hahahahahahahah you stupid ****s. We'll give you $10

Dear Foxtel but but but but if you don't buy our product you'll lost subscribers

Dear NRL - oh we're buying, but who the f**k are we competing against? SBS? The ABC? Netflix? Channel 10? You've already announced what you're giving the only other company in these negotiations, so who are we fighting?

Dear Foxtel - errrr, but please give us a billion dollars

Dear NRL - No, f**k off We'll give you $20, take it or leave it you stupid arrogant ****s. We're pumping money into the AFL to kill your stupid sport so we don't have to negotiate with you and if you die, we won't have to pay much for the AFL either. PS Thanks

Lambretta

First Grade
On Todd Greenberg - the head of football

f**king hell, these shoulder charge rule changes are utterly ridiculous - they're charging players for not waving their arms around in the air when opposition players bump into them accidentally

The words shoulder charge contain two words - shoulder and CHARGE
All this bollocks about not wrapping the arms gets on my f**king tits

If a player rushes an opposition player, tucks his arm in and leads with his shoulder then and only then can it be considered a shoulder CHARGE

It's not a shoulder bump, or a shoulder rub, or a failure to waggle your arms or a failure to disappear into thin air if someone trips over and falls into you. It's a f**king SHOULDER CHARGE

Sort your shit out NRL or dead set I will give up and stop watching the game. It's gotten f**king stupid and pointless.

Oh and FYI - I am an AVID Rugby League fan - if you've lost me, you can be absolutely positive you've lost any fair weather fans.

Last Week

Bench

The NRL had announced a $900 million deal with one broadcaster and were trying to get the rest to cough up another billion for the scraps. Seriously?

Smith is supposed to be some brilliant negotiator. Who negotiates with all their cards on the table? How arrogant are the NRL?

Dear Foxtel, we've sold the best stuff to Channel 9, now we want you to pay a huge amount of money for Penrith v Canberra or the Warriors v Gold Coast Titans

Dear Foxtel but but but but if you don't buy our product you'll lost subscribers

Dear NRL - oh we're buying, but who the f**k are we competing against? SBS? The ABC? Netflix? Channel 10? You've already announced what you're giving the only other company in these negotiations, so who are we fighting?

Dear NRL - No, f**k off We'll give you $20, take it or leave it you stupid arrogant ****s. We're pumping money into the AFL to kill your stupid sport so we don't have to negotiate with you and if you die, we won't have to pay much for the AFL either. PS Thanks

So you think that Fox won't value being able to broadcast all the games? Won't be interested in Thursday night and Friday night prime time league? , Sunday afternoon football?

They currently have 49 of their top 100 shows as rugby league. That's with 5 games a week and not getting the top 2 picked matches. Also, they'll get finals matches now. There is going to be much more than 49 league matches in the top 100 when this deal rolls around.

As for no competition, who were fox bidding against last time? Or against for the AFL rights?

Last edited:
Greenberg has nothing to do with the TV deal so why are people bringing it up?

The person who is responsible for the TV deal is the Welsh wizard David Smith.

BadSport

Juniors
All I can say is Toddy is Dave's gift from heaven, and there is a reason why he surrounds himself with competing juniors.

A lot of pressure will be absorbed by Greenberg and taken off Dave in the time it takes for him to get levered out and Shane put in.

Bit disappointing how some people seem to fall for it and hop on the whole social media 'I demand an apology/sacking' bandwagon? This sort of thing was rare only a few years ago.

Sacking Greenberg will achieve precisely nothing, and it will be business as usual.

I'd support a cull at HQ as I reckon they have too many executives on too much money.

As for the shoulder charge, it's an embarrassment, but it was always going to be the moment Smith and Grant decided it was gone an instituted a review to make the decision for them.

Gutless shit, but that's the business. Otherwise the game is in as good health as its ever been. A lot better than it has been financially.

Yeah and it's 'the' game, not 'our' game.

Etc etc blah blah blah

applesauce

Bench

The highest rating AFL game of the year to date on FoxFooty was a CH7 simulcast match (Swans v Magpies).

People will prefer Fox Coverage/HD/no ad breaks (only CH9 ads transferred in game [i.e. The Voice scrolling on the bottom of the screen]).

Latest posts