What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomahawks to include "both" leagues?

I am looking for Elliots email. I would Like to Officially Submit - Derek Trehan (4) Brad Crandall (13) and Steve Crandall (8)(10) to at least have a look. (the crandells are the Redheads)

Having Played in the AMNRL - i think they would fair pretty well if not supersede their competition

jim_57

Staff member
Disgraceful by Niu, truely has gone beyond a joke. It's not a national team it's an AMNRL all star squad + ring ins who may or may not still actually play. This is where the RLIF should step in and insist on a neutral board of selectors and coach and pick the best squad of American/Eligable players available, atleast until this rubbish is sorted.. Not going to happen though.

Disgraceful by Niu, truely has gone beyond a joke. It's not a national team it's an AMNRL all star squad + ring ins who may or may not still actually play. This is where the RLIF should step in and insist on a neutral board of selectors and coach and pick the best squad of American/Eligable players available, atleast until this rubbish is sorted.. Not going to happen though.

well thats bs cause these boys deserve it .. the US deserves it... Imagine if the USA makes the World Cup... it will be all over the TV.. Hello what better way to build RL .. anyone have any better ideas?

They will need mainly ex pat players, if they are going to do well, it should be mainly guys playing NRL and Super League!

The troof hurts!

Its Spelled Truth, but i digress. In the USA - There are Thousands of Union Clubs from High School to College to Mens to Old Boys.

League has about 20. The Chance to play for ones Country Incentives players more than ever. The Competition In the DOMESTIC comps are brining the Most Serious and Most Talented Union players over to League.

If you take NRL guys and SuperLeague Guys over the US guys, there is no point and you effectively destroy everything that we have been working toward.

Logic Hurts

Big Picture

Juniors
Its Spelled Truth, but i digress. In the USA - There are Thousands of Union Clubs from High School to College to Mens to Old Boys.

League has about 20. The Chance to play for ones Country Incentives players more than ever. The Competition In the DOMESTIC comps are brining the Most Serious and Most Talented Union players over to League.

If you take NRL guys and SuperLeague Guys over the US guys, there is no point and you effectively destroy everything that we have been working toward.

Logic Hurts
Here's a question I've been wondering about for a while now: if you moved or extended your season back into spring so players couldn't play both Union and League, how many of your players would stick with League?

MattyCLark

Juniors
I would play league over union. Not that I don't like Union. I've player for over 10yrs now and on 3 continents. America, Australia and Europe. I just like league right now and I've played for the Tomahawks. In fact in Florida our union season and league seasons over lap. And players still stick with what their playing till their season is over. We have plenty of good rugby players in the states. We just need to put rugby players on our national teams. Not football players who can't spell rugby. Teach then to play first. And let's put an all American team in the WC win or loose we did it with home grown USA rugby players. My $.02

Here's a question I've been wondering about for a while now: if you moved or extended your season back into spring so players couldn't play both Union and League, how many of your players would stick with League?

It Depends on a number of factors. For example, Jacksonville has been around awhile and they have been very successful. Furthermore there are not any Superleague (union) teams in the area, and im unaware of the local union clubs divisions.

Travel up the coast to NY, Philly, DC, Boston, New Haven. They all have Superleague Teams (union) in addition to D1 clubs. This makes things more complicated as the Superleague clubs main season is in the spring.Furthermore if any of the other divisions (d1, 2, 3,) make the playoffs in the fall, they too would continue in the spring. I cannot speak for those clubs as I am unaware of how many players if any come from a union club.

For the Rebellion, we wouldn't exist. Many of my players are still in University and none of the mens club players knew anything about league, and what they did know was completely negative and inaccurate. This misinformation comes from old boys stories about league being not true rugby and evil. That was the biggest hurdle i have, and i only obtained a few players from the union mens club, as i said most of them are university age. Throughout the course of the season some of the union players warmed up to the team after they came and saw a game and the fact that we play infront of a couple hundred people. Even with all the media attention (when i speak to reporters they didnt even know of the union's club existence) i still am treated with contempt from older union players. ( i personally think its because they don't believe they can handle the game, or its because i have made more headway in 6 months then they have in 5 or 6 decades).

Also the history of the stability and level of competion in the past still lingers in peoples minds. In the past having played in the AMNRL there have been teams that forfeit constantly or show up with 9 guys 2hrs late. This has turned off a lot of players, because the lack of competition made them question what was the point of investing all their time and energy for something that at times was a bit of a joke.

There are a few ways that this can be overcome but it wont be anytime soon.
1) Standards, financially and structurally.
2) Consistency, in competition, in fan attendance and in development.
3) Advertising and Marketing - What player wouldnt want to have the chance to play infront of a few thousand people

4) Not lying to players and teams. If your going to start a pro-comp, if your going to be on national tv, if your going to guarentee teams games you better follow through. If not put that as a long term goal instead of something that is actually happening. (fool me once shame on you, fool me twice im outta here)

5) Making a sincere and earnest attempt at youth development. - Look at play rugby.
6) Hard work and Dedication - if you want to make this happen and make Rugby League not be an obscure sport played by a few clubs here and there it takes hard work and determination. if your not self motivated dont screw it up for everyone else.

7) Putting Rugby League first and not ones self interest. Im not saying we shouldnt be intrested but when your making decisions you need to ask yourself what the effect on the game will be on the future, if it wont benifit it you will get more respect by swallowing your pride and acting in the best interest in the sport.
----- And when one does this they shouldnt have their face rubbed into their failure, rather they should be given credit for their accomplishment and praised for their humility.

8) MONEY - IF ANY OF THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN WE NEED MONEY AND WE NEED IT SPENT IN THE RIGHT PLACES.
--- TRAVEL AND FIELDS
---- MARKETING AND ADVERTISING
----------------WITH MARKETING AND ADVERTISING YOUR ABLE TO OBTAIN SPONSORS BECAUSE THEN AND ONLY THEN WILL YOU HAVE A PRODUCT TO SELL THEM. MEANING CROWDS, AND A HIGH LEVEL OF PLAYERS PARTICIPATING IN THE SPORT.
---- AND OF OURSE YOUT DEVELOPMENT. THAT IS TO SAY NOT 1 OFF CLINCS BUT ACTUAL TEAMS FROM A YOUTH AGE LEVEL ON THORUGH HIGH SCHOOL.
-- FOR NOW COLLEGE ISNT A CONCERN AS THEY CAN COME AND PLAY IN HOPEFULLY A SUBDVISION OF A HIGH LEVEL TEAM.

This may seem like a tall task but my motivation has come by this wise saying.
--- Sow much, reap much; sow little, reap little.
---When planning for a year, plant corn. When planning for a decade, plant trees. When planning for life, train and educate people.

in summation - it can happen but it will take time. Right now i am trying to cooperate with the union club in my city, in addition to the college clubs. Demonstrate how they are able to benefit from the Rebellion as opposed to a social 7s side that plays 1 to 4 tournaments a year socially from which their players return in the fall playing 7s rugby as opposed to 15s rugby union, which causes their offense and defense to deteriorate.

http://www.amnrl.com/news/tomahawks-train-squad

No USARL players, Enough said. We'll see what happens after the WQ.

The question is why. and why do you seem so adamant. who are your represnting, what are your intrests. in the success of RUGBY LEAGUE in america or the success of The AMNRL.

im not saying the two are mutally exclusive but your comments suggest that you would rather see Rugby league remain what it is in the usa. " YEA I KNOW RUGBY LEAGUE ITS THAT BORING VERSION WHERE THERE IS NO RUCKS... I LOVE RUCKS.." - WELL HAVE YOU SEEN A GAME.--
NO IM FROM CHICAGO OR ANY OTHER CITY WHERE IT DOESNT EXIST.

gothenyknights

Juniors
In response to the question about players choosing to stay with League into Spring, at the Knights we'd prefer not to ask our players to do that. Most of our players play union as well and even if they prefer league, it's not right to make them choose their loyalties. That will only work against us. We have a stable relationship with the union clubs and we'd rather work with them than against them.

Another note, Lawrence from RIR - you guys seem to be doing an awesome job for the game up there and everything you say is pretty much spot on. We can all learn from what you guys are doing and congratulations on an amazing first season!

In response to the question about players choosing to stay with League into Spring, at the Knights we'd prefer not to ask our players to do that. Most of our players play union as well and even if they prefer league, it's not right to make them choose their loyalties. That will only work against us. We have a stable relationship with the union clubs and we'd rather work with them than against them.

Another note, Lawrence from RIR - you guys seem to be doing an awesome job for the game up there and everything you say is pretty much spot on. We can all learn from what you guys are doing and congratulations on an amazing first season!

Thanks You as well. Big Weekend ahead.

mother rucker

Juniors
The question is why. and why do you seem so adamant. who are your represnting, what are your intrests. in the success of RUGBY LEAGUE in america or the success of The AMNRL.

im not saying the two are mutally exclusive but your comments suggest that you would rather see Rugby league remain what it is in the usa. " YEA I KNOW RUGBY LEAGUE ITS THAT BORING VERSION WHERE THERE IS NO RUCKS... I LOVE RUCKS.." - WELL HAVE YOU SEEN A GAME.--
NO IM FROM CHICAGO OR ANY OTHER CITY WHERE IT DOESNT EXIST.

Not sure if this is being directed toward me. But to help you sleep at night, Yes I know and have played rugby league in England and Australia. I currently watch games every weekend. Also One may consider the play of the ball in RL the ruck.
Also I want rugby as a whole to thrive in the USA. If I can see the little league softball world series on ESPN why not rugby league or union?
I am more disgusted with the fact that Americans are not being aloud to represent their country.
Do yo not thing that anyone on your team worthy?
Typical really both USA rep team don't select the best players in the USA. Its always been about who you know. I learned that playing for the USA WOMAN'S EAGLES

Not sure if this is being directed toward me. But to help you sleep at night, Yes I know and have played rugby league in England and Australia. I currently watch games every weekend. Also One may consider the play of the ball in RL the ruck.
Also I want rugby as a whole to thrive in the USA. If I can see the little league softball world series on ESPN why not rugby league or union?
I am more disgusted with the fact that Americans are not being aloud to represent their country.
Do yo not thing that anyone on your team worthy?
Typical really both USA rep team don't select the best players in the USA. Its always been about who you know. I learned that playing for the USA WOMAN'S EAGLES

i know there are rucks in league - that quote is something i hear on a daily basis from union people who wont give it a chance --- that is until you harass them to watch one... -- so therefore by limiting USA players to only a certain league you will prevent the exposure and growth of the sport... because you will piss players off. the only way to grow the sport is to get more people to play. not blackball people to play in your league especially if they have to travel 200 plus miles to do so.

i have played union as well but the fact is .. union is hard to understand for many mainstream Americans therefore i know league is a better go.. moreover the politics in union are ridiculous because there are so many freaking teams and self interested persons.

That's why i jumped in the USARL _ because i feel my interests are purely to grow the sport. In order to grow a crop you need to kill the weeds, others may think not. So being part of a new league and 1 of the 8 teams i have a chance to shape its birth if you will or at least that's what i think i can do.

only time will tell. but the current situation with the Tomahawks is absolutely pathetic, and there is no reason it cant be fixed ... if enough people call BS things will change.

Goddo

Bench
In order to grow a crop you need to kill the weeds, others may think not. So being part of a new league and 1 of the 8 teams i have a chance to shape its birth if you will or at least that's what i think i can do.

That is so true.