What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomkins

Iafeta

Referee
Last night he made three crucial errors. One a simple spill on the left edge as we were hot on attack. Second a poor pass over the sideline again whilst hot on a attack. Third for the second week in a row not competing on a bomb at the posts where Reddy scored. They were all basic.

The issue with Tomkins is the horrible inconsistencies. The game against the Tigers and Canberra for example he was world class. Last night and earlier in the year was Fox Memorial standard. Naturally I expect he needs time to settle, but given the coin he is on he is seriously starting to hurt us.

Is the gap between ESL to NRL really this big? Or is he on a junket out here? He needs to step up big time.

playdaball

Bench
He is just being exposed as playing in a tough comp on a weekly basis. His errors are disappointing. He is not in the class of Slater, Inglis, Hayne, Dugan. Hopefully he can eliminate those dropped balls and missed tackles as he does have a lot to offer

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Fascinating that the Tigers game is mentioned as world class in the same post that his form at the start of the year is referred to as ordinary.

He was on the verge of a shocker against the Tigers when in the last 20-30 minutes he scored a try and produced 2 beautiful quick hands plays to gloss it over

The games against Eels/Dragons at the start of the year he made two glaring bomb errors that led directly to tries, but outside of that did very little wrong in a badly beaten side.

Last night's game was easily his worst since joining us, but I don't think he's as bad as some like to make out. Have to expect that expectation with his price tag however.

Rennie

Juniors
For me the most disappointing aspect of his play is his goalline defence, too small to stop anyone one-on-one. He'll come good though class player.

Iafeta

Referee
He has a go with his D. I think he just needs to get off his line slightly more so when he's tackling around the legs he's bringing them down short rather than over the line. Some times thats obviously not possible given whats happening in front of you though.

jaseg

Juniors
It's frustrating because he brings some great shape to our attacking movements... but messes it up far too often. His work off the ball isn't up to standard as of yet either. If he can put it all together on a regular basis he would be among the best fullbacks in the game, but he isn't even close at the moment.

Benek

Juniors
Tomkins was off on both attack and defense last night. Dropsies and poor passes all over the place, plus poor positioning and ineffective tackles. Sure he needs some time to get used to the NRL, but this was probably his worst game yet for us. I hope the warm up period is over soon.

The whole team looked way off. I have no doubt the midnight start had a big part in that.

Simply not worth the cash!
Currently a big $$$$ experiment of an untested player at NRL level has failed!
Can't think of many current fullbacks I would put him in front of.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
For the first time this season I'm thinking Locke could replace Tomkins, but it won't happen because of the money forked out on him and he really is adding a lot to our attack.

Locke, though, is solid. Whereas Tomkins is not.

JJ

Immortal
He's up there with the best Englishmen we've signed... oh wait...

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yes the gap is wide, given time, he will make the gap.

Handle the pressure better, it is the difference.

I like what I see, but yes, improvement needed, and reckon it will come.

JJ

Immortal
Yes
I like what I see, but yes, improvement needed, and reckon it will come.
:lol: You're a Cronulla fan?? Your reggies just made Benji look like a genius, no wonder you like what you see

JJ

Immortal
Tomkins is the new Manu in terms of drawing critisim.

Quite different, I think... he's like Platt and Betts a generation ago - hyped up as the best in the world in their position, and then in the grind of the NRL pretty underwhelming tbh

Tomkins is useful on attack, and his attitude is good, and he'll have some good games... but as has been patently obvious, he's a LONG way short of Slater, Hayne, Inglis, Stewart, Dougan and a few more...

It is what it is, but when you have the hype and money he's got, the justified expectation is that he'd be better than this

vvvrulz

Coach
Its not quite come into Bring Back Locke territory, but bloody hell Tomkins is all over the show at the moment.

With Locke you generally didn't get howlers even if he wasn't having the greatest game. He was usually safe on defense. Tomkins obviously puts in a lot of effort and does some very good things, but how much longer before all this screw ups become a liability?

Tomkins didn't *quite* cost us the game yesterday, but he definitely blew a few great attacking chances and contributed to some of the Souths soft tries.

Halfway through a season, is this still 'warm up' time for him?

I'd love to hear from those who slammed those (including me) raising concerns about Tomkins and making the transition from ESL to NRL. You know who you are.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not a hater, I like the bloke and really want him to succeed.

But the transition between leagues is huge.
He's not an automatic NRL success because he rips up the ESL or a couple of Test matches.
He's not better than Locke, possibly equal at best.
Quite frankly he's not worth the money at the moment.

Latest posts