What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonga facing Eels axe for Manly NRL game

barney gumble

Juniors
Ryan Morgan played so well in the centres against Penrith, he seems a better option looking towards the future, not sure where that leaves a very out of form Tonga.

lingard

Coach
Things don`t look too good. Kearney can`t get results on the field. His supporters say that he is here to build the club - but every one of his major signings has played so far below their potential that they`ve had to be dropped to reserve grade. He`s now openly admitting that it`s difficult attracting players because of our lack of on-field results. What the hell is here for?
Drop Tonga, don`t drop Tonga, I don`t care. Please just take a walk, Kearney. Please.

barney gumble

Juniors
Things don`t look too good. Kearney can`t get results on the field. His supporters say that he is here to build the club - but every one of his major signings has played so far below their potential that they`ve had to be dropped to reserve grade. He`s now openly admitting that it`s difficult attracting players because of our lack of on-field results. What the hell is here for?
Drop Tonga, don`t drop Tonga, I don`t care. Please just take a walk, Kearney. Please.

Yep, agreed.

Parraren

Bench

So in summary,

1. Can't win.
2. Recruited 'stars' playing below potential.
3. Need to improve the roster.
4. Can't attract players to improve the roster.
5. Return to point 1.

Sounds like a viscious circle to me...

Last edited:
So in summary,

1. Can't win.
2. Recruited 'stars' playing below potential.
3. Need to improve the roster.
4. Can't attract players to improve the roster.
5. Return to point 1.

Sounds like a viscious circle to me...

Great post. I would like to see Kearney succeed but you really can't ague with this.

Gronk

Staff member

I'll be most interested in hearing PoupouEscobar, Suity or Emjaycee's response to this. I normally would have included both JaketheSnake and Mickdo in that group, however their support has obviously waned in recent weeks.

#givemesomethingpositiveguys

Suitman

Post Whore
I'll be most interested in hearing PoupouEscobar, Suity or Emjaycee's response to this. I normally would have included both JaketheSnake and Mickdo in that group, however their support has obviously waned in recent weeks.

Mate, my support has waned as well. Obviously, you don't read every post I make.
My defence of Kearney has always been not to go down the line of hysterical reaction, which much of this board has been full of.
Indeed, it is impossible to support Kearney's win/loss ratio to date.
I can't. Never have actually. I have however stated many times that I think he can become a good coach, and I certainly hope he does. I've always hoped it would be for us, but maybe it won't be. It is becoming clearer by the week, after every loss, that his time might be coming to an end at the Eels.
I've always also stated that I like what he is doing for the future of this club. Obviously, this takes time. Time Kearney might not get.
If that's the case, so be it. If nothing else, he may have put into place systems that our club can continue with to help us achieve his goal - that being that we are a big enough to club to be successful year after year.

Ultimately, I suppose the thing that has got my back up the most is the pettiness of many of the attitudes towards Kearney. I have many times replied with the same attitude. I plead guilty. There are very few posters on here who haven't, including you. The one person I respect the most is WOE. His posts are wonderful. Lingard and OMC are pretty good, and MJC has also held his own for the opposition.
That's just my opinion.
I hope we win every game for the rest of the season, though I can't see us winning many at all. If we don't, I expect there will be change. Not because the Board want to save their arses, but because they also genuinely want to see us winning as well. It's as simple as that, despite what the screaming girls around here will have you believe.
You asked my opinion. You got it.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
Mate, my support has waned as well. Obviously, you don't read every post I make.
My defence of Kearney has always been not to go down the line of hysterical reaction, which much of this board has been full of.
Indeed, it is impossible to support Kearney's win/loss ratio to date.
I can't. Never have actually. I have however stated many times that I think he can become a good coach, and I certainly hope he does. I've always hoped it would be for us, but maybe it won't be. It is becoming clearer by the week, after every loss, that his time might be coming to an end at the Eels.
I've always also stated that I like what he is doing for the future of this club. Obviously, this takes time. Time Kearney might not get.
If that's the case, so be it. If nothing else, he may have put into place systems that our club can continue with to help us achieve his goal - that being that we are a big enough to club to be successful year after year.

Ultimately, I suppose the thing that has got my back up the most is the pettiness of many of the attitudes towards Kearney. I have many times replied with the same attitude. I plead guilty. There are very few posters on here who haven't, including you. The one person I respect the most is WOE. His posts are wonderful. Lingard and OMC are pretty good, and MJC has also held his own for the opposition.
That's just my opinion.
I hope we win every game for the rest of the season, though I can't see us winning many at all. If we don't, I expect there will be change. Not because the Board want to save their arses, but because they also genuinely want to see us winning as well. It's as simple as that, despite what the screaming girls around here will have you believe.
You asked my opinion. You got it.

Suity

Six weeks back I was hoping that he'd adopt a mentor (tick) and sign some solid replacements for the experience we are losing in 8 weeks and pick up some more so we can be more competitive.

His inability to sign players who have more than 20 FG games under their belts suggests that unless he performs miracles in the off season with his rookies, we'll come last again.

Sadly appointing another coach now probably won't change that.

We're a mess Buddy.

Suitman

Post Whore
Six weeks back I was hoping that he'd adopt a mentor (tick) and sign some solid replacements for the experience we are losing in 8 weeks and pick up some more so we can be more competitive.

His inability to sign players who have more than 20 FG games under their belts suggests that unless he performs miracles in the off season with his rookies, we'll come last again.

Sadly appointing another coach now probably won't change that.

We're a mess Buddy.

See, to me, that's short sightedness.
Yes, we're a mess regarding results in NRL. Stone motherless. Can't argue with that. On the other hand, I see that we are building a strong junior base of quality players. We are blooding youngen's like Sio and Blair and Morgan who are improving all the time with experience. We HAVE purchased players with more than 20 1st grade games. The Leagues Club is doing well.
Besides on field NRL results, we're not a mess, so I see hope for the future.
Whether that is with Kearney at the helm or not, so be it. Glass half full.

Suity

bartman

Immortal
Ultimately, I suppose the thing that has got my back up the most is the pettiness of many of the attitudes towards Kearney. I have many times replied with the same attitude. I plead guilty.
So did that approach work well for you on here this year Suity, do you think? Including when you instigated pettiness by carrying your responses across into different threads, and derailing the topic? (Don't worry, just yanking your chain ;-).)

Most posters (including myself) can also just play the "replied to" card. The better approach imo is to ignore any pettiness from others if it's getting your back up, and then it's more likely to decrease or go away.... Sounds like everyone (wherever they started from) are now coming to a shared viewpoint or resolution about these issues anyway.

Suitman

Post Whore
Didn't take you long to come sniffing around and jumping on my replies to Gronk.
What a surprise.
If this post is petty, so be it.
Get off your f**king high horse Bart and people might respect your opinion a bit more.
I'm happy for you to ignore my opinion on your attitude. It's amazing that you ignore so many others as well.

Suity

bartman

Immortal
Didn't take you long to come sniffing around and jumping on my replies to Gronk.
What a surprise.
Oh, lighten up Suity, the internet's such "serious business" :lol:

If this post is petty, so be it.
Get off your f**king high horse Bart and people might respect your opinion a bit more.
Petty indeed, and sounding so upset :crazy:. "People" and "respect are such subjective terms, and also nothing to do with why I frequent a football internet message board.

I'm happy for you to ignore my opinion on your attitude. It's amazing that you ignore so many others as well.
Thanks mate, I probably will in future! As I said, I was just yanking your chain :lol:

(And probably should have taken pity instead, since you still seem incapable of ignoring my opinions about anything on here, without overreacting and getting strangely cranky and upset.... :kiss:)

Suitman

Post Whore
Oh, lighten up Suity, the internet's such "serious business" :lol:

Petty indeed, and sounding so upset :crazy:. "People" and "respect are such subjective terms, and also nothing to do with why I frequent a football internet message board.

Thanks mate, I probably will in future! As I said, I was just yanking your chain :lol:

(And probably should have taken pity instead, since you still seem incapable of ignoring my opinions about anything on here, without overreacting and getting strangely cranky and upset.... :kiss:)

If these are your intentions, I'm wondering who the actual troll is?? :?
Even though you've accused me in the past.

Suity

TheParraboy

Staff member
1E8J

emjaycee

Coach

If you get the time gronk, I would love for you to dig out any posts of mine where I have openly supported Kearney or the board this year. I like to think I have remained focused on the long term future and success of the club and not gone off half cocked and hysterical like most on here.

But happy to be proven wrong if you can find a post of mine that proves otherwise.

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
If these are your intentions, I'm wondering who the actual troll is?? :?
Even though you've accused me in the past.
The lines are very blurry, aren't they Suity, in both directions ;-).

After trying to having a laugh with you, my intentions were to say (and I quote) "The better approach imo is to ignore any pettiness from others if it's getting your back up, and then it's more likely to decrease or go away...." and then to add an observation to the topic of discussion (that imo everyone's now coming to shared viewpoints about the future ahead of the Eels).

You seem to have overreacted to my comments, and so here we are (again) :lol:. The sad thing is that none of this really matters, and there's no need to get so upset about the internets....

Suitman

Post Whore
The lines are very blurry, aren't they Suity, in both directions ;-).

After trying to having a laugh with you, my intentions were to say (and I quote) "The better approach imo is to ignore any pettiness from others if it's getting your back up, and then it's more likely to decrease or go away...." and then to add an observation to the topic of discussion (that imo everyone's now coming to shared viewpoints about the future ahead of the Eels).

You seem to have overreacted to my comments, and so here we are (again) :lol:. The sad thing is that none of this really matters, and there's no need to get so upset about the internets....

lol

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I'm happy with next year's squad. All the rookies and youngsters will be a year older and smarter, and more importantly they will have had a year to gel.

This is how clubs are rebuilt.

Guys like Willie Tonga and Ben Roberts were just a short-term fix. Besides the obvious Hayne and Sandow, it'll be young/inexperienced lads like Sio, Blair, Esi Tonga, Morgan, Kelly, Ryan, Paulo, Allgood, Lussick and Harrison that take our club forward; not overpriced 'experienced' (i.e. old) first graders from other clubs.

Don't forget the kids in NYC that are playing well above themselves. Some of these guys could be good enough to walk into first grade as soon as next year. It can happen that quickly - how many of us had heard of Will Hopoate prior to last season?

We currently have a whole bunch of players who are very good at their best, but not up to first grade every week. Of that bunch only Luke Burt is on the decline. The rest are on the rise, and there are a lot of them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
On the other hand, I see that we are building a strong junior base of quality players. We are blooding youngen's like Sio and Blair and Morgan who are improving all the time with experience. We HAVE purchased players with more than 20 1st grade games.

This.

Latest posts