What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Archer goooooone

some11

Referee
I hope people who are heaping shit on him realise he's been moved on (along with Canavan) because of the penalty crackdown, something which a lot of people on here seemingly supported.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/45ed3e843c34f969afd3d4f096903e44

The 16 NRL clubs will be handed a document this week confirming the crippling effect of the refereeing crackdown on the 2018 season.

It reveals fans saw eight hours less ball-in-play action over the season, fewer tries and linebreaks, but a 200 per cent increase in penalty goals.

There was also a 10 per cent increase in the number of bunker referrals and a 17 per cent increase in the time it takes to adjudicate on a try referral.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained a copy of the confidential document which will be handed to the 16 club chief executives at their meeting at Moore Park headquarters this week.

The idea was to speed up the play-the-ball, keep the teams further apart and improve the attack.

The report shows it actually did nothing to enhance the spectacle. It actually had the opposite effect.

It is the major reason why long-time official Brian Canavan was axed as Head of Football and replaced by Graham Annesley.

There were 75 fewer tries than the previous season, fewer linebreaks and a 200 per cent increase in penalty goals. Some games were like boring rugby union penalty shootouts.

With less fatigue from all the stoppages there were also fewer missed tackles.

some11

Referee
I'd rather a few years of penalties as opposed to the wrestling that we've had for the last decade.
The wrestle was still there regardless. It's not going away.

Two in, get the player on their back, third man in if necessary to help turn him around so he's facing the wrong way ensuring the slowest possible time to play the ball.

The Roosters were excellent at it this year, that's not a dig, it's impressive how fluent it becomes because you get used to it. If you do it from minute one what's the ref gonna do? penalise every single tackle? Not going to happen.

Canard

Immortal
I hope people who are heaping shit on him realise he's been moved on (along with Canavan) because of the penalty crackdown, something which a lot of people on here seemingly supported.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/45ed3e843c34f969afd3d4f096903e44

The 16 NRL clubs will be handed a document this week confirming the crippling effect of the refereeing crackdown on the 2018 season.

It reveals fans saw eight hours less ball-in-play action over the season, fewer tries and linebreaks, but a 200 per cent increase in penalty goals.

There was also a 10 per cent increase in the number of bunker referrals and a 17 per cent increase in the time it takes to adjudicate on a try referral.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained a copy of the confidential document which will be handed to the 16 club chief executives at their meeting at Moore Park headquarters this week.

The idea was to speed up the play-the-ball, keep the teams further apart and improve the attack.

The report shows it actually did nothing to enhance the spectacle. It actually had the opposite effect.

It is the major reason why long-time official Brian Canavan was axed as Head of Football and replaced by Graham Annesley.

There were 75 fewer tries than the previous season, fewer linebreaks and a 200 per cent increase in penalty goals. Some games were like boring rugby union penalty shootouts.

With less fatigue from all the stoppages there were also fewer missed tackles.

Firstly, I don't believe most of that article is factually correct as it's from a notoriously incorrect source that writes hit pieces on the game. The fake quotes Annesley are hilariously bullshit.

Secondly, no way Tony Archer instigated the penalty crackdown, that comes from the top.

And if Greenberg now suddenly denies it, then he needs to go also.

LineBall

Juniors
If the report is true, and players were less fatigued, then they have no excuse for not reducing the interchange to 6 or even 4.

I worry when they talk about the refs “managing” the game and “letting it flow” because to me it means they will start picking and choosing what to penalise which creates greater inconsistency.

Canard

Immortal
If the report is true, and players were less fatigued, then they have no excuse for not reducing the interchange to 6 or even 4.

I worry when they talk about the refs “managing” the game and “letting it flow” because to me it means they will start picking and choosing what to penalise which creates greater inconsistency.

Is there a credible measure of fatigue? I doubt it.

T-Boon

Coach

It isnt enforcing the rules that needs to be fired but the coaches.

Willie Ray

Bench
"Three months ago, Head of Football Brian Canavan was told he would be moved to the game development role that has now been offered to Archer."

So, what is Brian Canavan doing now?
He's got a position at the Knights...head of football operations I think.

Latest posts