What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Caine

NagesJnr

Juniors
Star recruits missing but hot talent shines

Adrian Proszenko at Seiffert Oval | January 25, 2009

Canberra 32 Cronulla 12
RICKY STUART picked up a clipboard for the first time since that blow-up. It was also the first outing for David Furner as an NRL coach, although there was not much NRL talent at his disposal at Seiffert Oval last night.
Canberra coach Furner and Cronulla counterpart Stuart used the first unofficial trial for 2009 to cast their eyes over a bunch of youngsters and journeymen hoping to impress before the season proper kicks off in about seven weeks.
It's fair to say that Greg Bird wasn't the only superstar missing from the Sharks line-up. There was no sign of the recruits.
No Trent Barrett. No Anthony Tupou. No Reni Maitua. The trio was spared a hit-out in Canberra's sweltering heat, a description seldom used in describing rugby league conditions in the nation's capital.
Of the 17 men on the Sharks team list only one name was familiar. Tony Caine. Remember Tony Caine? The former Sharks and Dragons hooker destined for superstardom.
That was until the day Steve Price charged down one of his kicks and left his leg hanging at right angles.
Not long afterwards he retired, a promising career seemingly cut short until he resurfaced last night to score the Sharks' second try.
The first was scored by John Mannah, who appears to be as good a prospect as his brother, Parramatta NYC captain Tim.
The Raiders fielded 25 men for the contest. Sadly, they only finished with 24.
Cy Lasscock lasted just 10 minutes, the first casualty of the new year.
The big prop fell awkwardly, dislocated his knee and was carried from the field where it was popped back into place. He will have scans tomorrow.
To say the proceedings were informal is an understatement. Tries weren't converted. A Canberra forward relieved himself on the side of the paddock just before kick-off. There were three orange breaks. And while no one will remember the final scoreline (Canberra prevailed 32-12), a couple of performances were memorable.
Furner enjoyed the experience.
"It signals the comp is just around the corner," he said. "I was pretty excited. I know some of the players were looking forward to the game and the coaches were, too."
Asked about getting one up on his old teammate Stuart, he said, "It is only a trial.
"It would be nice to be in a situation to take a proper two points."
The Raiders scored four tries in an eight-minute burst, two by prodigal son Josh McCrone. The young half returned to the Raiders after a stint at Penrith and appears worthy of future opportunities.
Raiders prop Daniel Joyce attempted to shoulder charge everything in sight, with mixed success. The kid is a monster.
And comeback kid Caine was probably the best on ground.
There was some good talent on show and Furner and Stuart saw some of the stars of tomorrow.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...t-talent-shines/2009/01/24/1232471659614.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Raider_69

Post Whore
How a bloke on a team that got beat 8 tries to 3 was the best player on ground is beyond me
but for mine the best on ground was probably Daniel Joyce from the Raiders

fatshark

Bench
Who gives a FF its only a trial. Im really happy for Caine to comeback. Hopefully he will push slomo Hughes out.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
anybody know how the 2 referee system went? You think Adrian Proszenko would have picked up on that for his article. probably the biggest thing about the trial was the first use of 2 referees with the revised hand over system for head ref & pocket ref.

Raider_69

Post Whore
anybody know how the 2 referee system went? You think Adrian Proszenko would have picked up on that for his article. probably the biggest thing about the trial was the first use of 2 referees with the revised hand over system for head ref & pocket ref.

tbh mate, i barely even noticed it was in effect, i cant see it being a major issue coming into the season... the most noteworthy thing about the referee's was Gavin Badger, and how orange he was, he has spent considerable amount of time in the solarium over the off season, he was rocking the man tan :lol:, but if i wasnt losing my sh*t over Badge's tan, i wouldnt have noticed the 2 ref system, which to me says it worked quite well.

FTR, Tony Caine was the sharks best but i cant say i noticed too many others for your lads, after the first 3rd, it was all the raiders... i did see someone in a masons jersey so he might be able to give you guys a better run down

Funny, I thought Raiders had quite a few senior players in the trial compared to one from the Sharks. If that was the case they should have scored a hell of a lot more! Enjoy the hit out Raiders69 but take heed, trails like that tell you little about what to expect in the season proper except how maybe one or two fringe guys are progressing.

If Cain can keep that shot knee of his right and work back to the potential he was showing before Price mangled that leg, he will be a star.

Vossy

Bench
Funny, I thought Raiders had quite a few senior players in the trial compared to one from the Sharks. If that was the case they should have scored a hell of a lot more! Enjoy the hit out Raiders69 but take heed, trails like that tell you little about what to expect in the season proper except how maybe one or two fringe guys are progressing.

If Cain can keep that shot knee of his right and work back to the potential he was showing before Price mangled that leg, he will be a star.

souths 44-0 sharks

really worked out well for the season proper for souths :)

good to hear TC went well

Frenzy.

Immortal
tbh mate, i barely even noticed it was in effect, i cant see it being a major issue coming into the season... the most noteworthy thing about the referee's was Gavin Badger, and how orange he was, he has spent considerable amount of time in the solarium over the off season, he was rocking the man tan :lol:, but if i wasnt losing my sh*t over Badge's tan, i wouldnt have noticed the 2 ref system, which to me says it worked quite well.

FTR, Tony Caine was the sharks best but i cant say i noticed too many others for your lads, after the first 3rd, it was all the raiders... i did see someone in a masons jersey so he might be able to give you guys a better run down

I'd rather have an informed opinion

Raider_69

Post Whore

Justin Carney and Tom Learoyd Lahrs were the only real decent senior players we had playing, we played alot of fringe players (and some utter sh*t like bret kelly, you guys can have him back) so i expect us to win and win well over what was a no name sharks side, but thats what i was saying, given the nature of the team

but that team we fielded was essentially our U20's side from last year, add in TLL and a few blokes from our champion feeder club Souths Logan who are looking to impress. Neither side played anything close to their top side so if anything it showed the Raiders U20's and Souths Logan will be a tough units to beat again this year. Didnt tell us a thing about FG... As you said, it was good from a raiders point of view because a few fringe players like Huihahau, Joyce and Waddell really played well, which gives the coaching staff something to think about

CGD

Juniors
Get over TLL, Inferno. You're always asking about him.

(to answer your question, he comes off contract this year, I believe)

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Don't worry inferno, I will be doing my best to get him to the Sharks. Huge potential & labelled as a crock by CEO's (read bad knees) . But they aren't that bad at all.

make of that what you will.

yadamisha

Juniors
The Sharks essentially played 3 different teams in each 25min stanza. The first 25mins was the 'top' squad who played against Canberra players from their PL inc 5 first grade experienced players and we won 8-0 with Caine scoring his try zig zaging 10m out from the line under the posts, untouched after a big dummy. The second 25 was some of these players plus others interchanging. They became very disjointed and had no goaline defence at all unlike the first 25. The last 25min appeared to be under 20's hopefulls (all in the 20's jerseys) as the better/experienced 20's players has already played in the "higher" grade. The scores in these two periods reflected this.

Beautiful day to watch footy. Haven't watched the Sharks play there for 20 years.

Latest posts