What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony De Las Heras knock-out.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on this whole issue?

During the South Sydney -v- Brisbane Broncos match, the field referee Tony De Las Heras was knocked unconscious by a solid knee to the head by Tony Carroll, after being knocked to the ground shortly prior.

Video Footage at:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S40Cs5BwDLI

It's a seriously massive blow. It's said that the field referee was poorly positioned, though Tony De Las Heras was clearly running laterally in an attempt to move out of the way, and the South Sydney player clearly tracked this same path to make use of this as an advantage - you can hardly suggest it was "coincidental", and the South Sydney player , in my opinion , should definitely be held accountible for the initial contact (though not in relation to Tony Carrolls subsequent knee). I can't help but also personally think Tony Carroll should have had more sense than to run the path he did... though Trent had far less time to react.

I saw this game on Foxtel; though seeing the hit in isolation (via the YouTube video) just re-iterates the harshness of the collision!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
purely accidental on both counts so no action. These sorts of collisions will happen and tbf to the Sth's player the ref was running around like a headless chuck so who knows which way he was going to weave next. Short of stopping all together till the ref made his mind up there was nothing he could do imo.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
purely accidental on both counts so no action. These sorts of collisions will happen and tbf to the Sth's player the ref was running around like a headless chuck so who knows which way he was going to weave next. Short of stopping all together till the ref made his mind up there was nothing he could do imo.

I see it differently.

The referee had chosen a clear path to run in order to get out of the way - the South Sydney player then chose to mimic this run. He had ample choices. Even if it was accidental, due to Jamie Simpson having 'tunnel vision' for the try line - there has to be an onus of responsibility on the player to avoid contact with the referee if there is reasonable opportunity to avoid it - which in this case there certainly was.

Tony Carroll had much less time to react, and again, should have probably attempted to slow down and evade the referee; rather than attempt to jump over him. Jamie Simpson was still tackled (or stopped) on the basis of the initial contact with De Las Heras, so Carroll had no real reason to continue that same line.

I know it is much easier to review this from a replay in slow motion, as opposed to real time 'in the moment'; though it was a severe collision. I don't think they deserve to be suspended, or 'out' for any matches... though a fine certainly wouldn't go astray.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At full speed it was unavoidable, therefore there is no blame imo. The ref starts running to his left, he then stops, then starts again. He didn't keep the same path and no surprise teh Sth's player ran into him.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
At full speed it was unavoidable, therefore there is no blame imo. The ref starts running to his left, he then stops, then starts again. He didn't keep the same path and no surprise teh Sth's player ran into him.

We certainly see it differently.

It will be interesting to see how the NRL chooses to respond.

Ensane

Juniors
the NRL should respond with non-issue, its not the AFL!

completely unintentional, but with the benefit of hindsight on the replay def looks avoidable. Just one of those things

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
the NRL should respond with non-issue, its not the AFL!

completely unintentional, but with the benefit of hindsight on the replay def looks avoidable. Just one of those things

Yeah. I guess that's why I have an issue with it - because it was avoidable by both players.

The argument that it was at 'full flight' to me isn't acceptable. Players break lines and side-step players in response to defensive movements without too much trouble.

I'm not overly bothered by the punishment (if any) that will be laid down. I do think that the league needs to strongly communicate to its players that contact with a referee isn't acceptable; because clearly Jamie and Tony weren't phased by the proximity of the referee.

As for the remark towards the AFL - they're a joke. The AFL is ridiculously over-the-top... I certainly don't want the NRL to ever go down that level of strictness, and I definitely don't want players to be overly cautious as a result of this incident.

I just think that if it's avoidable, then avoid it.