What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toovey, is there something we don't know?

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Daley the great player he was, is now more of a media personality than a coach. Is there something about Jeff Toovey that we don't know about. In 2012 he coached to within one game of the grand final, 2013 grand finalist.

If NSW SOO hierarchy (Fulton) don't want him why don't the dragons? I know 'The Doust rule of law' it's jobs for the boys. Would it violate 'Doust's law' if Toovey was made assistant coach to McGregor. Toovey being an ex grand final, SOO and Australia winning half back may get the best out of Widdop and Benji. If we make the semis having an experienced finals coach on board could make one hell of a difference between bowing out 1st round or making inroads towards the Grand Final. Speaking with a few aficionados of the game the consensus was, its a mystery with the drought of accomplished coaches being in such short supply that he has not been snapped up by one of the underperforming clubs. So in the words of Pauline Hanson 'Please Explain' why he is without a coaching gig.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
Explanation; he is a cranky strawberry blonde coun...try man. Enough said! ��

Yep, the coach can't upset the players. We couldn't have that, if it means a better chance of success & a change of culture at our club, get him in.

Coffs dragon

Bench
You can't have an assistant with more smarts and credentials than the head coach, Mary would be threatened and the boys club would have to be dislodged. Just give Toovs the top job and let him pick his own assistants and Mary can continue his coaching with Illawarra Cutters.

FlameThrower

Bench
When is Mary's tenure up and when does the Club look to extend or look elsewhere?
Ivan Cleary and Geoff Toovey are both available - it's fairly obvious our coaching structure is not working...F/A , struggle to score points and one dimensional plays...unmotivated squad lacking the killer instincts ..
Rather the Club make a call this year than stumble thru 2017 and again be left with no options coaching wise...both Toovey and Cleary will find coaching roles ...sooner or later.

Saint69

Juniors
Daley the great player he was, is now more of a media personality than a coach. Is there something about Jeff Toovey that we don't know about. In 2012 he coached to within one game of the grand final, 2013 grand finalist. His overall record.

Years Team Gms W D L W%
12–15 Manly 102 85 1 11 83

If NSW SOO hierarchy (Fulton) don't want him why don't the dragons? I know 'The Doust rule of law' it's jobs for the boys. Would it violate 'Doust's law' if Toovey was made assistant coach to McGregor. Toovey being an ex grand final, SOO and Australia winning half back may get the best out of Widdop and Benji. If we make the semis having an experienced finals coach on board could make one hell of a difference between bowing out 1st round or making inroads towards the Grand Final. Speaking with a few aficionados of the game the consensus was, its a mystery with the drought of accomplished coaches being in such short supply that he has not been snapped up by one of the underperforming clubs. So in the words of Pauline Hanson 'Please Explain' why he is without a coaching gig.

He was an easy replacement at Manly and took over a very good team,not sure how he would go coaching another team full time so I won't argue either way and your stats are wrong as last year alone they lost 13 games.

Last edited:
Toovey has done nothing that indicates he knows how to rebuild a side. The Manly side he was given was a gun team. Simply a case of inherited wealth.

Plus I wouldn't be touching anyone from Manly until the match-fixing investigation is complete.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
He was an easy replacement at Manly and took over a very good team,not sure how he would go coaching another team full time so I won't argue either way and your stats are wrong as last year alone they lost 13 games.

You are correct. Bloody Internet the figures don't even add up. With that sort of reporting I could get a job at the Telegraph. :oops:

BennyV

Referee
Toovey has done nothing that indicates he knows how to rebuild a side. The Manly side he was given was a gun team. Simply a case of inherited wealth.

Plus I wouldn't be touching anyone from Manly until the match-fixing investigation is complete.

Nailed it.

Yes, Toovey would be an upgrade on Mary. However, he isn't what the club needs. Toovey took over a premiership side and maintained it for a couple of years before beginning to slide (though it could be argued that politics was as much as cause of that as his coaching). We need someone who has PROVEN EXPERIENCE in rebuilding a side in terms of structure, skillset and personnel if required.

Cleary has more experience than Toovey in this regard and would be a preferable options for mine. But in reality, we should be aiming higher still.

_Johnsy

Referee

Soooooo Brian Smith then. :sarcasm:

Lethal25

Juniors
A mate of mine does some work with the Manly club and has done for many years. He sits in the box most weeks and he tells me Toovey ran the club like clockwork. Everybody knew their job and also knew it was Toovey who was in charge.

With Barrett, he says the club has turned into a circus and it's pretty much Fulton who's pulling strings and Barrett is nothing more than a yes man.

Seems Fulton got rid of Toovey as he didn't like being challenged.

P.S. Dylan Walker was promised a SOO jersey when signing with Manly. For me that puts Daley in the yes man bucket and explains the selection. There was also chat that Gallen was not going to be picked but they got cold feet.

Divey

Juniors
Nailed it.

Yes, Toovey would be an upgrade on Mary. However, he isn't what the club needs. Toovey took over a premiership side and maintained it for a couple of years before beginning to slide (though it could be argued that politics was as much as cause of that as his coaching). We need someone who has PROVEN EXPERIENCE in rebuilding a side in terms of structure, skillset and personnel if required.

<snip>

Was it not the case that Toovey was coaching a team that was performing extremely well until they were torn to ribbons by injuries? And it is in the history books that the referees gave Tooves an absolute flogging. The words, "There needs to be an investigation", seem to come to mind.

BennyV

Referee
Was it not the case that Toovey was coaching a team that was performing extremely well until they were torn to ribbons by injuries? And it is in the history books that the referees gave Tooves an absolute flogging. The words, "There needs to be an investigation", seem to come to mind.

Could be. I'm not at all saying that Toovey isent a good coach, he's just not what we need.

However, would still be an upgrade!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think we have a man in Demitriou ready to step in. Did his apprenticeship at Cowboys and won a comp. Cutters are travelling well and scoring points and he is not one of Dousties boys club entourage. He actually came from outside the club.

Latest posts