What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 10 Warriors Players of all time

Big Marn

Juniors
Since its Simon's 300 tonight thought we should do a post on our top 10 Warriors players of all time
Found this exceptionally difficult and there is probably some recency bias but heres mine :

1. Stacey Jones
2. Simon Mannering
3. Steve Price
4. Manu
5. Kevin Campion
6. Michael Luck
7. Ruben Wiki
8. RTS
9. Shaun Johnson
10. Tohu Harris

7,8,9,10 very hard to choose.

Last edited:

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
1 Stacey Jones
2 Simon Mannering
3 Ali Lautiti
4 Manu V
5 Campion
6 RTS
7 Toopi
8 Luck
9 Hoppe (always seem to remember him doing well)
10 Johnson

Hon Mens - Seuseu, Guttenbeil, Hohaia, Fusitua (he'll be in this list soon!), Faafili, Harris (again, he'll be in this list soon), Wiki, Price

Extra points - Fan favorites - Mark Tookey, Iafeta Paleaasina -

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
1. Stacey Jones
2. Stephen Kearney
3. Ali Lauititi
4. Simon Mannering
5. Kevin Campion
6. Steven Price
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Manu Vatuvei
9. Joe Vagana
10. Francis Meli

JJ

Immortal
hmmm - no doubt missed someone obvious - most will say Wiki but I don't buy that

1. Simon Mannering
2. Stacey Jones
3. Manu Vatuvei
4. Steve Price
5. Michael Luck
6. Ali Lauitiiti
7. Kevin Campion
8. Shaun Johnson
9.Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (will storm up the list though)
10. Awen Guttenbeil

Big Marn

Juniors
hmmm - no doubt missed someone obvious - most will say Wiki but I don't buy that

1. Simon Mannering
2. Stacey Jones
3. Manu Vatuvei
4. Steve Price
5. Michael Luck
6. Ali Lauitiiti
7. Kevin Campion
8. Shaun Johnson
10. Awen Guttenbeil

yeh i totally forgot Ali. :(

vvvrulz

Coach
1 Jones
2 Mannering
3 Price

4 RTS
5 Johnson
6 Luck
7 Vatuvei
8 Lauititi
9 Harris
10 McKinnon

HM Campion, Toopi, Cleary, J Vagana, Kearney, Luke, Matulino

JJ

Immortal
Ahh, see, Matulino has to be in my top 10 - revision:

1. Simon Mannering
2. Stacey Jones
3. Manu Vatuvei
4. Steve Price
5. Michael Luck
6. Ali Lauitiiti
7. Ben Matulino
8. Shaun Johnson
10. Kevin Campion

I think we're likely to broadly agree on the top 4 or 5 (order aside)

The Pa Kid

Juniors
Big Mann I think this is a great thread but the topic may need redefining?

Top 10 Warrior players on ability may include individuals like Brandy, Betts, Ali, Sione, SJ , Meli etc or players who have contributed to the club on and off the field - Mannering, SJ, Stacey, Wiki, Kearney, Jerome, etc

sup42

Juniors
Jones
Campion
Mannering
Price
Marsh
Ali L.
Villasanti
Toopi
Cleary
Joe Vagana

Hon mentions McKinnon, RTS Web, Bell ( an old Dean Bell was better than our current centers and most who have played there...too many dumb or weak Centers), Seuseu, Hoppe, Meli, Johnson, Kopu, Luck....and Phil Blake. Kearney would be in my top ten if he'd stayed.

King hit

Coach
What about Ivan Cleary? He played some excellent footy for the Warriors and almost won you guys the 2002 premiership. Good underrated player to boot.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Trying to word this in the right way as to not put a slight on the bloke, but if a guy like Luck, who was a very good, honest toiler but not much more, can be so far up on the top 10 list after nearly 25 seasons of the club, then there are a huge amount of guys that have under achieved over the years

Big Marn

Juniors
Trying to word this in the right way as to not put a slight on the bloke, but if a guy like Luck, who was a very good, honest toiler but not much more, can be so far up on the top 10 list after nearly 25 seasons of the club, then there are a huge amount of guys that have under achieved over the years

I hear what you are saying, but i dont think its so much as under achieving, but more to do with not having the necessary qualities to succeed at a high level.

To me Michael Luck epitomises the word "Warrior". He was someone you would want in the trenches with you if you were going to war.

You couldnt say that for a lot of the other flashier and more talented players that played for the Warriors. They werent prepared to bust a gut or do the 1 percenters game in and game out.

Michael is someone that resonates with me as having the qualities i am looking for in a player that is going to represent the team i support. Yes it would have been great if he had had more natural ability - but he didnt, and so he had to work harder to make up for it, which he did.

I totally understand why he is missing from other lists, but these are the reasons why i have him on my list.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
100% agree, not questioning his spot there as such, it just emphasises the point that guys with natural ability for whatever reasons haven't kicked on, when we saw guys like Hohaia, Packer, Tomkins and Locke to name a few burst onto the scene, you'd think they should be making lists like this but it never eventuates. Hohaia is probably a bit harsh as he had a very good career

Would be interesting to do a Cowboys top 10 as they came in the same year and compare the quality of it

Latest posts