What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 10 Warriors Players of all time

Rich102

Staff member
100% agree, not questioning his spot there as such, it just emphasises the point that guys with natural ability for whatever reasons haven't kicked on, when we saw guys like Hohaia, Packer, Tomkins and Locke to name a few burst onto the scene, you'd think they should be making lists like this but it never eventuates. Hohaia is probably a bit harsh as he had a very good career

Would be interesting to do a Cowboys top 10 as they came in the same year and compare the quality of it

Or a Raiders, who started later.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Give us your Manly one, Beave.

Don't go back far enough to see Fulton, Eadie, Fatty etc, so will just go 95 onwards, same timeframe as you guys. In no particular order off the top of my head

Lyons
Menzies
Toovey
Lyon
B Stewart
G Stewart
Watmough
Kennedy
Hill
Carroll

Also guys like Kite, Matai, Ridge, Kosef, Hasler, Innes, Orford deserve a mention and in 2-3 years time both Trbojevic lads probably move into the 10

Blair

Coach
Don't go back far enough to see Fulton, Eadie, Fatty etc, so will just go 95 onwards, same timeframe as you guys. In no particular order off the top of my head

Lyons
Menzies
Toovey
Lyon
B Stewart
G Stewart
Watmough
Kennedy
Hill
Carroll

Also guys like Kite, Matai, Ridge, Kosef, Hasler, Innes, Orford deserve a mention and in 2-3 years time both Trbojevic lads probably move into the 10

Interesting, no championship-winning halves, Cherry-Evans and Foran. But, yes, they're not touching Toovey and Lyons.

Ian Roberts was still there in '95. Sadly, he missed winning a premiership by moving on the following year.

Geez, you've had some good players.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade

Lyons
Menzies
Toovey
Lyon
B Stewart
G Stewart
Watmough
Kennedy
Hill
Carroll

A lot my family were Manly fans and I remember a few names like James Leuluai, Jack Elsegood and Dale Shearer.

vinnie delpino

Juniors
1. Stacey Jones
2. Simon Mannering
3. Ruben Wiki
4. Steve Price
5. Michael Luck
6. Kevin Campion
7. Ali Lauititi
8. Manu Vatuvei
9.Brent Webb
10. Ivan Cleary

Meth

Staff member
1- Stacey Jones
2- Simon Mannering
3- Manu Vatuvei

4- Kevin Campion
5- Shaun Johnson
6- Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (will go up)

7- Ivan Cleary (coaching considered)
8- Michael Luck
9- Steve Price
10- Ali Lauititi

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Great thread, my proviso is a) only form in a Warriors jersey counts b) it's my own take on them as footballers and people, not simply necessarily the best 10 players

1) Simon Mannering
2) Daylight
3) Steve Price
4) Stacey Jones
5) Brent Tate
6) RTS
7) Manu Vatuvei
8) Kevin Campion
9) Micheal Luck
10) Ali Lauitiiti

I've been an SJ sycophant all my life but couldn't find a spot for him at this stage. Hoping that changes. Fus, Ken, Tohu etc all a big chance in the future.

Matua

Bench
1. Stacey Jones
2. Simon Mannering
3. Steve Price
4. Manu Vatuvei
5. Michael Luck
6. Sean Hoppe
7. Ali Lauititi
8. Sean Johnson
9. Ben Matulino
10. Kevin Campion/RTS

I expect RTS to leap up the Top 10 and Campion to fall to just missed out.
Honourable mentions: Guttenbeil, Cleary, Seu Seu, Maloney, Hohaia, Joe Vagana.

Blair

Coach
A lot my family were Manly fans and I remember a few names like James Leuluai, Jack Elsegood and Dale Shearer.

Uncle Bernie brought me and my brother home two Manly jumpers after his trip to the '83 GF. Victorious Eels jersey's were all sold out.

The Manly ones had 'Pioneer Stereo' on the front. We thought they were the coolest things things in the world.

I never became a Manly fan, per se, unlike mum and dad. I did support them in the three GFs of '95-'97.

Blair

Coach
Jones
Campion
Mannering
Price
Marsh
Ali L.
Villasanti
Toopi
Cleary
Joe Vagana

Hon mentions McKinnon, RTS Web, Bell ( an old Dean Bell was better than our current centers and most who have played there...too many dumb or weak Centers), Seuseu, Hoppe, Meli, Johnson, Kopu, Luck....and Phil Blake. Kearney would be in my top ten if he'd stayed.

Surely no Manu is just an oversight?

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Uncle Bernie brought me and my brother home two Manly jumpers after his trip to the '83 GF. Victorious Eels jersey's were all sold out.

The Manly ones had 'Pioneer Stereo' on the front. We thought they were the coolest things things in the world.

I never became a Manly fan, per se, unlike mum and dad. I did support them in the three GFs of '95-'97.
I never liked Manly but they've earnt my respect over the years for a club that seems to keep popping up with talent, particularly in the backs. Dont think anyone mentioned Terry Hill who was quite a underrated solid back. Im sure he played for them.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
2 Blasphemous bastards.

Not sure how RTS is there just yet.
Each to their own but it could be a short term memory thing. Staceys heroics was a long time ago, RTS was fairly average last year but this year hes great and so now hes an ALL time great :)

Subjective and Im not complaining. You cant argue with anyones list.

1. Steve Price
2. Simon Mannering
3. Stacey Jones
4. RTS
5. Kevin Campion
6. Ali Lauitiiti
7. Manu Vatuvei
8. Ruben Wiki
9. James Maloney
10. Shaun Johnson

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I find it fascinating that Matulino played 212 games for the Warriors (4th all time), was POTY twice, was an elite player at his best and yet struggles to scrape into top 10 lists.

Blokes who didn’t play 50 games for the club are getting picked before him.

I’m not criticising anyone’s opinion, it’s just interesting how different factors colour perception.

JJ

Immortal
I find it fascinating that Matulino played 212 games for the Warriors (4th all time), was POTY twice, was an elite player at his best and yet struggles to scrape into top 10 lists.

Blokes who didn’t play 50 games for the club are getting picked before him.

I’m not criticising anyone’s opinion, it’s just interesting how different factors colour perception.
Yep I forgot him initially then put him at 7 which is still too low, now have him at 5 behind Mann, Jones, Price and Manu