What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 5 second-rowers in nrl era

Springs09

Juniors
In terms of dividing things up into era's, I think you are better off have it pre and post "structure" rather than pre or post NRL.
FIrstly second rower isnt a position anymore. In the structure era it is edge forward and middle forward.
Secondly,

It's a different name for the same position ffs

Cause centres play in the centre of the field don't they

Vic Mackey

Referee
  1. SBW
  2. Steve Menzies
  3. Michael Crocker (surprised he hasn’t got more love, was a machine)
  4. Luke Lewis
  5. Gareth Ellis

Guys like Ben Kennedy, Adrian Morley, Thaiday etc played a significant chunk of their careers in the middle so not considered for mine

Tommy Smith

Referee
Not sure why SBW is number 1?

His career was relatively short.
He played 118 games which is a large enough sample size when you factor in that he's a long way ahead of the rest and won two Premierships.

The first title he dominated as an 18yr old and was probably the Dogs best player in the finals series; which for a teenage forward is unheard of.

And with the 2nd title he was the teams best and most important player - and I can't recall the last time a backrower led his team to a title as the key player.

No disrespect to the other candidates but when even the most ardent SBW hater puts personal biases aside I just don't see how you could rank anyone above him as a backrower. He was the complete player - a great defender and by a million miles the best attacking backrower that I've seen.

Matua

Bench
He played 118 games which is a large enough sample size when you factor in that he's a long way ahead of the rest and won two Premierships.

The first title he dominated as an 18yr old and was probably the Dogs best player in the finals series; which for a teenage forward is unheard of.

And with the 2nd title he was the teams best and most important player - and I can't recall the last time a backrower led his team to a title as the key player.

No disrespect to the other candidates but when even the most ardent SBW hater puts personal biases aside I just don't see how you could rank anyone above him as a backrower. He was the complete player - a great defender and by a million miles the best attacking backrower that I've seen.
Still find it idiotic that Cordner was selected 2nd rower at the Dally M's that year. What matches were the judges watching?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Still find it idiotic that Cordner was selected 2nd rower at the Dally M's that year. What matches were the judges watching?
Yeah the Dally Ms are an awful benchmark given that they often get it so wrong. BJ Leilua won Centre of the Year last year; well ahead of Latrell Mitchell and Esan Marsters LOL

SBW had one of the best individual seasons I've ever seen in 2013. He was crazy good when you consider that he'd just come back from about 4 years out of the game.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Although taumololos dally m pits him ahead of many candidates he needs a few more seasons of dominance to be a serious mention. No doubt he will do it But just let him finish first

Big Jase is a lock... But still superior to anybody else on this list.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It’s a shame Ali Laui’iti’s career went the way it did and he ended up playing the majority of it in the UK- because in 2001-2002 he was ridiculously good, a league above anyone else in the competition as an attacking forward.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
It’s a shame Ali Laui’iti’s career went the way it did and he ended up playing the majority of it in the UK- because in 2001-2002 he was ridiculously good, a league above anyone else in the competition as an attacking forward.
The footwork he had for a bloke his size was phenomenal

TheDalek079

Bench
i think a lot of dislike towards the way he left the bulldogs clouds many people's perception of Sonny Bill Williams. Dude was a legit BEAST. Easily the best second rower I've seen in my 20+ years watching rugby league