What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TORRENS TO JOIN ST.GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

t-ba

Post Whore
TORRENS TO JOIN ST.GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
Tough Manly centre Albert Torrens has agreed to a two year deal with St.George Illawarra and will play his last game for the Sea Eagles in the match against Melbourne Storm at Brookvale Oval on Sunday.

Torrens will lead the Sea Eagles onto the field in respect of his nine year association with the club.

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said the club tried hard to retain Torrens who has had a very consistent season.

"Unfortunately Albert is a victim of the salary cap - in the end the Dragons had more left in their cap than we had and he leaves with our best wishes for the future.

"Albert has a young family and they are his priority - we can accept that.

"He has been a fine clubman and an ornament to the club off the field.

"He is a hard worker for his people and is a verty quiet but likeable young man.

"It would have been nice for him to get his 10 years of service but it wasn't to be,"Mr.Cummings said.

Torrens joined Manly from the north coast as a teenager and quickly worked his way up through the grades.

He spent a season with the ill fated Adelaide Rams before returning to the Sea Eagles.

WTF? WTF? WHAT THE *EXPLETIVES!!! MANY EXPLETIVES!!!* IS GOING ON!!!

t-ba

Post Whore
Cummings, You must have something under your sleeves. It's probably a steaming pile of bullsh*t.

If not, and you are being honest, Maybe we should bring in Tappy...

eelsta

Bench
how can they buy torrens not enough money to keep riddell oh well there loss :roll:

Stagger eel

Staff member
I find it very strange that you release an established firstgrade centre when you were desperate to sign one while he was still in the picture!!!

T-BA, I'll try and do some research for you there could well be a simple explanation for it. ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
eelsta said:
how can they buy torrens not enough money to keep riddell oh well there loss :roll:

It's quite simple eelsta! Pig would cost three time more than Torrens! and they are obviously covering for Cooper and Gaz while their injured or on rep duties.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Torrens wouldn't have cost them very much, he's at the end of his career and isn't exactly a 150k a year player or anything.

You guys must have something up your sleeve (from the UK or Moule etc), otherwise your management haven't got a clue,and your fans will spit the dummy.

lodown

Juniors
He was our only real established center before this (Hicks is 10x better on the wing than in the centers). I hope they aren't thinking of moving Menzies or Williamson back out into the centers next year to cover the abundance of Back Rowers we will have.

The only other option would be to move Harris/Watmough/Walker to the centers. Stephenson has only played a handful of first grade games, and Alberts hasn't played any? (or none this season).

Seems like a very big risk.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
I hope they aren’t banking on Alberts or Stephenson to be gun’s next year! As much as I like their respective skills, NRL is probably just a bit fast/hard for them at THIS stage!