What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tottenham Hotspur: "To Dare Is To Do"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
steven_tiger said:
Still got 28 games to go SD.

Win all 28 and that's 91 points and most likely a Championship.

at the moment, we couldn't win 8

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
there is hope for us yet (kidding)

Beckham linked with English return
Last updated at 10:20am on 23rd October 2007

Comments Comments
David Beckham is considering a return to the Premier League and it could be with tormented Tottenham.

The former Manchester United and Real Madrid star has just finished his first season with the Los Angeles galaxy after they were eliminated from the race for the Major League Soccer play-offs at the weekend.

David Beckham claps the fans

Disappointing season: David Beckham leaves the pitch after Galaxy failed to reach the play-offs which means a long time without football for Becks

He is now heading back to his Hertfordshire home to spend the winter with wife Victoria and their children and to be his ailing dad Ted, who is recovering from a heart attack.

Ipswich manager Jim Magilton has also admitted he would love it if Beckham trained with the side as the England international looks to rebuild his fitness.

Beckham will now look to train with an English side within easy reach of his Hertfordshire home and Magilton - a former team-mate of Galaxy coach Frank Yallop - will invite the 32-year-old to Portman Road.

Magilton told the Daily Telegraph: "I would love to have David Beckham training with us.

"If it helps him out then he would be very welcome here indeed. It would give our players a huge boost to be training with someone of his calibre and give the whole place a huge lift.

"I will invite David to train with us. Ideally I would also love to have him play a couple of games but I doubt that would be possible."

LA Galaxy officials are also softening their stance about the 32-year-old midfielder playing on loan and if Becks is set on a Premier League club Spurs would be a perfect fit.

Beckham would be guaranteed first-team football in a Tottenham side which lacks a dynamic midfield presence to unite a side which contains gifted individuals but which is not functioning as a unit.

Beckham would not have the same playing opportunities if he was with Arsenal or Chelsea while West Ham do not hold the same appeal as Spurs.

Even if Beckham is not granted permission by his club to play on loan, his leadership qualities off the pitch would help Spurs who still miss the passion and desire injected into their ranks by the departed Edgar Davids.

"I'm a person that likes to train every day," Beckham said. "That's the way it's been through my whole career for the last 15 years. I'll be keeping on training and keeping fit no matter what.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...all.html?in_article_id=489223&in_page_id=1779

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think that's why they are looking at Becks, we need mids, JJ and Malbranque have had a very poor year and Lennon has been playing injured from the bench.

We have been linked with at least 3 mids so far in the January trade window, some of them rather high profile, but they are just rumours at this stage.

Becks will just sit onto the sideline with an injury like he mostly did for the LA Galaxy.

He's softer than Shane Watson.

Dragooner

Bench
As posted in the LU Arsenal Brigade forum, if you keep up you'r average of 0.7 points per game for the rest of the season, then if Arsenal wins it is officially St T*tts day!

Also the problem for you guys is that now you sit down in the relgation zone, high profile players may turn you down.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
this is who the pommie bookies see managing Spurs in the near future

J Ramos 7 - 4
G Houllier 22 - 1
R Gullit 66 - 1
J Klinsmann 4 - 1
C Hughton 25 - 1
N Warnock 80 - 1
M Hughes 6 - 1
P Jewell 25 - 1
T Sheringham 100 - 1
J Mourinho 10 - 1
G Sounness 25 - 1
T Venables 100 - 1
H Redknapp 11 - 1
D Deschamps 33 - 1
D O'Leary 100 - 1
F Capello 14 - 1
S McClaren 33 - 1
G Lineker 100 - 1
M Lippi 16 - 1
C Adriaanse 40 - 1
S Staunton 200 - 1
R Koeman 16 - 1
R Keane 50 - 1
P Gascoigne 500 - 1
G Hiddink 20 - 1
G Hoddle 66 - 1

Macca you're a punter, who's your money on ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
not too many people at COYS want Hughes

Ramos seems to be the pick and word is the bookies have stopped taking bets on him

Deacon

First Grade
Twizzle said:
not too many people at COYS want Hughes

Ramos seems to be the pick and word is the bookies have stopped taking bets on him

Interesting Ive heard the opposite that theyve moved away from Ramos, god i hope they still continue to go hard for him

Macca_

Coach
Twizzle said:
Macca you're a punter, who's your money on ?
I would prefer to see the great Jol stay on and continue the good job he is doing...:)

But I'll go with sending in another mole (like GG) and give the nod to O'Leary if Jol must go.

Macca_

Coach
Whilst on the manager subject, I saw this elsewhere.

New Takeaway....

Its called JOL TO GO!

weasel

First Grade
Unlucky guys, Getafe were certainly the least fancied of the Spanish sides in the UEFA Cup, but if makes you feel better, here's an interesting anecdote about them and their sudden reversal in form this past week:

laligaloca said:
Ruben de la Red

Perhaps the most intriguing part of a desperately dull first half at the Coliseum on Sunday, was a tit bit from a local hack regarding former Real Madrid midfielder, Ruben de la Red. According to John Jenson, Michael Laudrup's number two, de la Red had played so few games for Getafe, this season, as he was simply too good for the rest of the side and needed to 'lower' his expectations of what his team mates could achieve when making passes, etc.

But with Getafe running on empty at half time and 0-0 against Murcia, de la Red was brought on and made an impact a few minutes later with a delightful cross that another sub, Kepa, slotted home.

"This is a new sensation for me," joked Laudrup in the press room afterwards as he discussed his club's first league win of the season.

Courtesy http://laligaloca.blogspot.com

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
LONDON, England -- Martin Jol has resigned as Tottenham manager, just before the London club's UEFA Cup Group G match at home to Spanish side Getafe -- which they lost 2-1.
art.jol.gi.jpg

Jol has left Tottenham after three seasons during which he has led the club to consecutive fifth-placed finishes.

Jol's future at the club had been under intense scrutiny after a series of poor results, which has seen them languishing in the bottom three of the Premier League table.

However, the circumstances behind his departure were bizarre to say the least, with the Dutchman apparently agreeing a severance package prior to Thusday's match -- with the news leaking out at half-time.

Sevilla coach Juande Ramos is reported to be the favorite to take over at White Hart Lane, with Tottenham officials allegedly agreeing a deal to bring him over from Spain earlier in the season. Former Tottenham midfielder Gus Poyet -- currently the assistant at Leeds United -- is being lined-up as Ramos' assistant.

Despite their lowly position, Jol had not lost the support of the supporters and when news filtered through -- the fans chanted "stand up for Martin Jol" in appreciation of his three years at White Hart Lane, during which he brought consecutive fifth-placed finishes in the Premier League.

Thursday's defeat summed up Tottenham's season, plenty of pace and power going forward but defensive frailties once again proving their undoing.

Jermain Defoe, who has struggled to establish himself under Jol, opened the scoring in the 19th minute, taking his tally to three for the season, all of them in the UEFA Cup.

Pascal Chimbonda had his first cross blocked from the right but then curled the rebound to the far post where Dimitar Berbatov headed into the path of Defoe, who nodded home.

But the visitors were level within two minutes when Esteban Granero's free-kick from 40 meters out bounced in, with Ruben de la Red claiming the slightest of touches.

Berbatov then headed in Tom Huddlestone's cross but the effort was disallowed for offside.

Reports of Jol's future emerged during the break, making for a strange atmosphere as he was still in the dug-out for the second half.

An open second half was eventually won by Getafe with 20 minutes remaining when David Cortes crossed from the right and Nobrega Braulio skillfully flicked the ball home.

Tottenham continued to press forward but the Getafe defense held firm to end Jol's reign at the club in a disappointing fashion

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/football/10/25/uefa.tottenham/

Status
Not open for further replies.