What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulouse decision: end of July

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Toulouse expecting Super League decision by end of July

SIMON HATTON
04 Jun 2013

photo_553535.jpg
Toulouse are expecting to receive a decision on their possible inclusion to a re-structured Super League by the end of July.
A second French side is likely to be one of the key components of the re-structure, which has seen three options presented to clubs.
The favourite is the option that sees two leagues of 12, splitting in to three leagues of eight.
The success of Catalan Dragons, who joined Super League in 2006, a lucrative TV deal and the commitment of the local council have made club insiders confident that they can secure a place.
Toulouse previously played in the Championship for three years between 2009 and 2011, but failed to satisfy the on-field criteria for a Super League application for 2012.
Key parties and sponsors are awaiting the nod from the RFL before commencing with the finalisation of their plans, and the renovation of the club's stadium.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news...ing-super-league-decision-by-end-of-july.html

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Whatever the structure, I just hope Toulouse and Les Catalans thrive, and any other old clubs that go down the ESL path.

Don't really know what to do with the ESL as all I want is the game to do well as a whole, not just the top.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
How does this two groups of 12 into three groups of 8 work?

After 11 rounds the teams are split into top 8, middle 8 then bottom 8 and then play another 7 rounds before finals in each respective comp. I'm pretty sure then the top 4 in the middle comp go through to the top 12 the next season and the bottom 4 of the middle comp join the 8 from the 3rd comp to make the 2nd 12 team comp next season.

I think it would be great if it was trialled, it would create more meaningful games during the season and give teams a chance to get promoted if they are good enough. I really think it would create a renewed interest in the English game given that most games have more riding on them both in the 1st half of the year and the 2nd half.

RedVee

First Grade
After 11 rounds the teams are split into top 8, middle 8 then bottom 8 and then play another 7 rounds before finals in each respective comp. I'm pretty sure then the top 4 in the middle comp go through to the top 12 the next season and the bottom 4 of the middle comp join the 8 from the 3rd comp to make the 2nd 12 team comp next season.

I think it would be great if it was trialled, it would create more meaningful games during the season and give teams a chance to get promoted if they are good enough. I really think it would create a renewed interest in the English game given that most games have more riding on them both in the 1st half of the year and the 2nd half.

Sounds ridiculous to me

crimpo

Juniors
Of the three options why am I not surprised that the obviously stupid one is 'favoured'.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Sounds ridiculous to me

Of the three options why am I not surprised that the obviously stupid one is 'favoured'.

Why do you guys think it's a ridiculous or stupid idea? It's easy to write-off a concept which is new to RL fans but at least they are willing and courageous to try something new.

Having sides promoted and relegated creates interest and more meaningful games which will lead to more competitive games which leads to higher crowds and higher TV ratings. The bottom rated sides would lift to try and stay in the top 8 because they have a reason to.

I know I would be following the English game a lot more closely rather than the mundane 20 odd rounds of sides getting flogged and the odd high quality game between the top sides. Imagine after 8 or 9 rounds and a few teams are fighting for those last couple of spots in the top 8, I think it would create enormous interest.

Hang on.

So this idea is that two divisions of 12 turn into three divisions of 8?

God that's like what they used to do in some bush leagues so that teams that were getting flogged were dropped back to form a kind of second tier for the second half of the season. It's a bit of a joke when you can go from being in the bottom half of a league at the start of the season to winning one at the end. Toulouse would presumably be in the second tier of 12 and therefore can't do any better than to play in the second tier of 8. Not really that exciting is it? They already tried playing Championships football. This is not much better for them, except the other second tier teams will be better. And Toulouse could end up in the third tier, which would be pretty bad.

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
Why do you guys think it's a ridiculous or stupid idea? It's easy to write-off a concept which is new to RL fans but at least they are willing and courageous to try something new.

Having sides promoted and relegated creates interest and more meaningful games which will lead to more competitive games which leads to higher crowds and higher TV ratings. The bottom rated sides would lift to try and stay in the top 8 because they have a reason to.

I know I would be following the English game a lot more closely rather than the mundane 20 odd rounds of sides getting flogged and the odd high quality game between the top sides. Imagine after 8 or 9 rounds and a few teams are fighting for those last couple of spots in the top 8, I think it would create enormous interest.

Well, is it a top level sport or a circus act?

I'd prefer they have 2 levels of 12 (or 10) and play the season out, and then have the promotion at the end, within certain constraints.
But at the end of the day it matters nought what my preference is, I know. The proposed change just seems so contrived and micky mouse.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Along with a dislike for the 3 comps of 8 teams, I also hate the idea of having to divisions called Super League 1 and Super League 2.
I think it is ridiculous calling it SL2. Just leave it as the championship.
Bring in promotion/relegation, whereby the last team in SL plays off against the winner of championship at the end of regular season. But only if the team meets detailed criteria.

Misanthrope

Staff member
A lot of guys sounding afraid of change. Nothing I read strikes me as particularly awful. Other major leagues around the world number their leagues (Japan, Italy, and even England's Premier League) and anything that could possibly increase interest should be looked at.

langpark

First Grade
Any news on Toulouse guys? Seems to have gone a bit quiet. I guess with SL's decision to reduce down to 12, there won't be room for them.

I also heard they're developing their stadium? Any updates there?

Latest posts