What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulouse to play million pound game

NRLMad

Juniors
On the back of effort and undoubtedly cash the Toulouse team has done it. They need to play 1 more game and win to get to super league. What a boost it will be to have 2 French teams in super league.

NRLMad

Juniors
45-12. Will need to play Featherstone or Halifax. Was on Foxtel from 12am for those interested. Next week will be interesting. 2 French teams playing in 2 grand finals.

giboz71

First Grade
Final is played in Toulouse. Same ground as the semi final.

Featherstone weren’t too happy about it when it got announced a few weeks ago.

giboz71

First Grade
45-12. Will need to play Featherstone or Halifax. Was on Foxtel from 12am for those interested. Next week will be interesting. 2 French teams playing in 2 grand finals.

Score was 51-12 actually. They scored a try on the bell and the FB converted from the sideline.

giboz71

First Grade
Ha I bet they did, where do they think it would be fair to play then considering they’re in second position lol.

Yeh the Fev chairman had a good whinge. Standings were based on percentages, not wins due to Covid and the fact UK teams couldn’t travel to Toulouse till recently. Fev were whinging they played and won more games.

They wanted to play a postponed Toulouse home game to steal 1st place and Toulouse said no.

But Toulouse did beat them in their home ground in August (their only defeat) so it’s fair Toulouse were awarded 1st place. Should be a good final.

Pippen94

First Grade
On the back of effort and undoubtedly cash the Toulouse team has done it. They need to play 1 more game and win to get to super league. What a boost it will be to have 2 French teams in super league.

Having a big market will help with TV deals. London, Newcastle, York & dare I say Toronto would be helpful in that regard

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Toulouse or Featherstone it is really a no brainer what is best for the game in this situation. If Toulouse get up, I wonder if it will have a knock on effect in terms of a French TV deal?

Also, is it time for third French club to start working their way through the system towards SL?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
There are no french teams with the clout anywhere near toulouse or perpinya that would merit a spot in superleague, only villages. the bigger city teams of toulon, montpellier, nantes, paris, lyon just don't have the base that the former have had for their paths. I can't see that changing for a long while yet, if ever.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ideally Paris will be next if Toulouse are successful but it will take deep pockets and long term commitment to make it work. Something RL struggles with everywhere. Stade Jean Bouin is a great stadium for a SL club to play out of.

In terms of RL heartlands Avignon probably has the next best chance. Its population is as big as the likes of Wigan or St Helens, its got a 17,500 stadium and the former Dragons CEO is now part of the club.

Alongside a long term Paris goal should be the continued development of Elite One to raise the standard for feeding players to hopefully Toulouse and Dragons and one day Paris.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Hopefully the Catalans / Toulouse duo in SL cause a flow on of effect of more French TV money, more exposure and the profile of the game being raised to the point that more big city options become an option in the future.

taste2taste

Juniors
What time is this game on Australian eastern standard?

I'll have to find a YouTube stream.

I haven't had any interest in the ESL since the Toronto debacle but will tune in to barrack for Toulouse promotion :D