What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyota Cup Expansion

joshreading

Staff member
With Fox only showing 3 Toyota Cup games in the next deal does it (weirdly) open a door for Toyota Cup expansion?

eg. What if PNG// Southern NZ // West Coast Pirates and Western Corridor were all brought in say in 2013 as under 20's sides?

The battle for the codes seems to be moving atleast in part to junior recruitment and retention. This would sure up and create strength for future expansion. It also might burn some but a club like the Roosters might do better having their/a under 20's out of NZ for recruitment sake.

BTW - I am still for expansion to 18 teams in 2015 but this could compliment it really well

Diesel

Referee
I think this has some good merit to it, however I'd also like to see the Q Cup and NSW Cup have a similar expansion plan as well

Perth Red

Post Whore
We have 9 SG ball players move to Toyota cup in last couple of years would be nice if they could have stayed at home and played for a Pirates U20's side.

adamkungl

Immortal
I would like to see lower grades paving the way for expansion, especially if top grade expansion is on hold.

Would be hard to expand u-20's seeing that the games are played in correlation with NRL teams. But a reconfiguring of both the state leagues to introduce would be NRL franchises might work out well. I think both the NSWRL and QRL need slight modifications of their teams. NSW need more bush teams in their comp, QRL need to bring back Toowoomba, Wests and a western qld team (Roma?).

Diesel

Referee
With a 2nd tier comp I think certain states would need to align themselves with the NSW or Qld comps, then I guess with some type of Super Bowl as a Grand Final or an expanded top 8 or 10 where the top 4 or 5 from each team play off. With an extended play off it'd be exciting however you could end up with 2 from the same comp playing off in the GF, however it would be the best two teams so I have no issue with that.

As NSW is the most populated state I'd align 1 Vic team (Storm) and Tas team (TRL) to that competition with 1 or 2 NZ team(s) and few NSW Country teams to the NSW Cup.

The Qld Cup would have 1 PNG team, NTRL team and a WARL and SARL team plus 1 or no NZ teams (and a combined Pacific Islander team based in QLD if possible).

How they decide on the number of teams involved is up to others but you wouldn't want more than 12 per comp IMO.

24 teams max over 3 Countries is doable I believe.

TheRam

Coach
3 Toyota cup games? I thought that it was staying the same with only 2 to be shown. Which is the 3rd game to be?

Latest posts