What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPA numbers go public

Good to see the NRL have now released the money being spent by various companies on behalf of each club.

Looks like only Melbourne and Brisbane are declaring their TPA’s.

Teams like Roosters and Sharks continue to attract high quality players in numbers but remain inside the cap.

They either have the best recruitment teams in league or are the biggest cheats.

Publicising the TPA’s is the first step towards improving the system.

Loooong way to go before the playing field becomes even.

BLM01

First Grade
Told us nothing except $$ spent and nothing that we dont already know. The big teams successful continually have more TPA's than others.
But are we really to believe that all those TPA's have nothing to do or ties with the club, but the club can go and source them. Melb and Bris are also sus.
Sharks obviously pay TP people back what they put in with bogus invoices..or so they apparently tell us
Roosters..well... paper bags or money held in trust for life after.... somewhere out there

Who knows and we will never get to or should be get to the bottom of the rort. It just happens and the NRL are no closer to or can level the playing field until they have a point system for each player reassessed each October prior to Nov 1 of each player contract calendar year. And of course a pure home and away comp playing each other twice (get rid of trial games) and stop pandering to TV's Broncos Friday night & Penrith (while Gould is at 9) favourtism. Yes you have got to put the best games on free to air TV but share it around a bit.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think the roosters put a decimal point instead of a comma..

92adc1456ca6e84a1bf9a1755c7aa805

BLM01

First Grade
All bogus if tou ask me
The dogs tpa less than us bs.
The eels and titans too.
Roosters 200k thats just for teddy lol.
Total bs all the figures
Yes Samy, they record what they know and are told or can find out. Now how about they investigate each one, follow the trail for its validity and real 3rd party relationship. Lip service article.!

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
As a player how much would you sacrifice to stay at your current club, i know its a pretty open question as it would depend what stage of your career you are in and other circumstances, but at the end of the day, potentially giving up $100k per year over over a 3/4 year contract is a lot of cash, i can't see how the rorters players like Tedesco etc sign for $100-200k less to play for the rorters, their TPA's are BS, Politis and the club offer other incentives to join...

dragonssamy61

First Grade
As a player how much would you sacrifice to stay at your current club, i know its a pretty open question as it would depend what stage of your career you are in and other circumstances, but at the end of the day, potentially giving up $100k per year over over a 3/4 year contract is a lot of cash, i can't see how the rorters players like Tedesco etc sign for $100-200k less to play for the rorters, their TPA's are BS, Politis and the club offer other incentives to join...

Exactly
Like free cars ect.
It is a joke

possm

Coach
Spot on BLM
But it will never happen. Untill tpa are done by a independent committee

All TPA's should be include the NRL in negotiations and be registered with the NRL. Any other payments should be counted with the salary cap.

I don't believe that players salaries should be kept secret, their is a public interest for transparency and the publishing of the salary portion of a players contract together with the publishing of TPA information would limit the abuse that currently undermines the salary cap itself.

The salary of public servants is published per grade and increment, many public companies publish the salary of managers and board members; it is not difficult search for the salary of the PM and most polititions.

TruSaint

Referee
I think the roosters put a decimal point instead of a comma..

92adc1456ca6e84a1bf9a1755c7aa805

See here's where the problem is imo.

Lets all assume that these are correct, ( even though i have doubts ). For the sake of the exercise, lets take Mel and BNE as being close to 1 million each.

The NRL brought in a salary cap to spread the talent. To "even out " the competition. Level paying field etc etc...

These 2 teams alone, have added 10% on their purchasing power year over year.

What stops that getting to 20 / 30 or even 50% ?

Some may argue, " well its a third party " agreement, so it doesn't count. That may well be true but as a consequence the original concept of a "cap" is destroyed.

Last edited:

SGMax

Juniors
Time for me to rant about my solution to fix the cap.
We are all going about it wrong by focusing on the TPAs.
Make TPAs irrelevant by concentrating on the cap.
If all players are independently valued for cap purposes, the clubs can pay them whatever they want.
e.g. Tedesco: Everyone knows he was worth a million so why record him as $700k.
1) A committee of several people has the task to value each player.
2) When he signs with a club, his actual payments don't matter, his signing will deduct a set amount from the cap regardless of who he signs with and how much more or less he agrees to.

This may create a few extra salaries but we will save so much in compliance / enforcement of the cap as well as benefiting from genuine spread of playing talent.
I get angry when I think about past decades where so much benefit was given to Broncos, Storm etc in assembling rosters full of rep players.

aquiin

Juniors
The NRL brought in a salary cap to spread the talent. To "even out " the competition. Level paying field etc etc...

This is not really the case. It’s probably difficult to understand now, because this has been the way the salary cap has been talked about for years, but the salary cap was originally about saving the clubs from themselves. Saving them from falling over. The salary cap was brought in to work hand in hand with a draft. It shouldn’t stand on its own. It was never designed that way.

It suited the NRL to talk about the salary cap in this way, because of the way it worked with free agency in the NRL and then especially when they had to bring clubs into line. They were tame with the Bulldogs because they threatened to take the system to court. They kept their team and added a player on the way to a premiership. Melbourne may have lost premierships but they kept the players they wanted and went on to make GFs and win others. If the system had any teeth, these teams would have been kicked out of the competition or made to pay dearly like Carlton.

Salary caps have slightly different nuances in the various sports. AFL talk about spending above a certain percentage of the cap, because they are trying to mitigate tanking for the draft, among other things. Overseas there are luxury taxes on those that overspend. Football has looked to restrict spending by a variety of methods but there are limits and issues there as well. So everyone is dealing with what restricting player movement means to competition and fairness. Many of the things we celebrate as fairness here, would be seen as mediocrity elsewhere.

TPAs are about markets and what an individual player can attract in the market. They do not want to be seen as restricting player’s opportunity to earn and by extension trade, which is one of the reasons why a draft doesn’t have as much momentum as it should. I think the chart shows that a significant player in a one team town and a big market will get a decent TPA. Everyone else is struggling. I think the waters have been muddied by linking these TPAs to the clubs. It should really be about individual players but we don’t like listing players salaries and perks. Sad state of affairs.

possm

Coach
This is not really the case. It’s probably difficult to understand now, because this has been the way the salary cap has been talked about for years, but the salary cap was originally about saving the clubs from themselves. Saving them from falling over. The salary cap was brought in to work hand in hand with a draft. It shouldn’t stand on its own. It was never designed that way.

It suited the NRL to talk about the salary cap in this way, because of the way it worked with free agency in the NRL and then especially when they had to bring clubs into line. They were tame with the Bulldogs because they threatened to take the system to court. They kept their team and added a player on the way to a premiership. Melbourne may have lost premierships but they kept the players they wanted and went on to make GFs and win others. If the system had any teeth, these teams would have been kicked out of the competition or made to pay dearly like Carlton.

Salary caps have slightly different nuances in the various sports. AFL talk about spending above a certain percentage of the cap, because they are trying to mitigate tanking for the draft, among other things. Overseas there are luxury taxes on those that overspend. Football has looked to restrict spending by a variety of methods but there are limits and issues there as well. So everyone is dealing with what restricting player movement means to competition and fairness. Many of the things we celebrate as fairness here, would be seen as mediocrity elsewhere.

TPAs are about markets and what an individual player can attract in the market. They do not want to be seen as restricting player’s opportunity to earn and by extension trade, which is one of the reasons why a draft doesn’t have as much momentum as it should. I think the chart shows that a significant player in a one team town and a big market will get a decent TPA. Everyone else is struggling. I think the waters have been muddied by linking these TPAs to the clubs. It should really be about individual players but we don’t like listing players salaries and perks. Sad state of affairs.
It does not have to be this way. We need the NRL to lift it's game and work with player managers to provide TPA to marquee players. Such a system should be seen as a method of keep marquee players within the NRL.

Popular marquee players could be offered to National Brands in a way that helps to promote rugby league while at the same time provides a financial incentive for marquee players not to switch codes.

Such a scheme could easily be managed if the NRL had the desire however, I believe that certain clubs have an advantage with the way things are and do not want change. These clubs have significant influence with key figures within the NRL.

The only real way to make way for change is to make public the salaries and TPA of players and the status of each clubs salary cap. This won't stop all the cheating but it will make it more difficult for those who are cheating.

aquiin

Juniors
It would help the clarity around the issue but I don’t think NRL players are as marketable as people would like to believe. The clubs hover up what’s there already.

qld redvee

Juniors
See here's where the problem is imo.

Lets all assume that these are correct, ( even though i have doubts ). For the sake of the exercise, lets take Mel and BNE as being close to 1 million each.

These 2 teams alone, have added 10% on their purchasing power year over year.

What stops that getting to 20 / 30 or even 50% ?

Some may argue, " well its a third party " agreement, so it doesn't count. That may well be true but as a consequence the original concept of a "cap" is destroyed.
agree 100% True. cap is there to spread the talent BUT if you have an extra 800k a year then it gives an unfair advantage to that club Also i think that easts were told the wrong information re disclosing their tpa's - they surely must read 200k per player not the squad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The broncos get all these advantages and the highest TPA's and haven't won since 2006.
what a bunch of losers they have become.
SAD

these are the reported TPAs.
there is no way that the raiders and roosters are on par.
laughable graph.

Melbourne 3 straight GF's makes sense

BLM01

First Grade
Time for me to rant about my solution to fix the cap.
We are all going about it wrong by focusing on the TPAs.
Make TPAs irrelevant by concentrating on the cap.
If all players are independently valued for cap purposes, the clubs can pay them whatever they want.
e.g. Tedesco: Everyone knows he was worth a million so why record him as $700k.
1) A committee of several people has the task to value each player.
2) When he signs with a club, his actual payments don't matter, his signing will deduct a set amount from the cap regardless of who he signs with and how much more or less he agrees to.

This may create a few extra salaries but we will save so much in compliance / enforcement of the cap as well as benefiting from genuine spread of playing talent.
I get angry when I think about past decades where so much benefit was given to Broncos, Storm etc in assembling rosters full of rep players.
The CRL have a point system for every player every year, new to the CRL system or old. It is adjusted each year depending upon experience or level reached prior to being in the CRL A club's 1st grade have a maximum amount of allocated points in their squads they can have and it is checked each week during the playing season
It is not that hard and as i said The NRL could do it by adjusted it each October for new all player contracts starting November 1.

Latest posts