What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trainers on the field.

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
I noticed on Sunday at the Raiders game that many times in the 2nd half the roosters trainers were out on the field, giving instructions. Personally I think this is completely against the rules. It was absolutely ridiculous. At one time there were 3 roosters trainers on the field barking instructions. Surely there should be some sort of restriction on how much time the trainers can spend on the field. Personally, I've never seen this happen before and quite frankly it got a bit under my skin.

Y2Eel

First Grade
The only time the trainers should be on the field is if there is a break in play...

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
They definitely weren't. I remember many times in the 2nd half, where the play was going on and trainers were almost standing inline with the roosters, giving out instructions.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That was Y2Eel's opinion mate.

As I understand the rule is that a trainer can only be on-field with an attacking team. If a team is defending their trainer must be off the field unless there's a stoppage due to blood or injury.

perverse

Referee
this one comes up every so often and nothing changes... personally i'm not a fan of it myself. they should definitely be off the field unless there's a break in play. our athletes are not that poorly tuned that they can't wait until the next stoppage in play to have a sip of water.

and what ever happened to the blood bin? how long has it been since a player was actually sent off to get a wound or a split plugged up?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think its a shame that coaches feel the need to send trainers out there, mid set to give insructions. If a team is relying on a trainer to tell them where to stand mid set, what are they doing all week. Plus it takes away the hard work that a team put in all week. I know that if I were a halfback of the team and a trainer came on the field telling my backline where to line up id be pissed because he is interfering with my plans.

Coaches risk, but smacks of a decision based on no faith.

The only time the trainers should be on the field is if there is a break in play...

Agree 100%. Trainers should only be on the field for injury and after try's in my opinion.

Do professional footballers rally need a guy out there the whole time they have the ball telling them what to do?

I am sick of seeing the trainer on the field the whole time his team has the ball.

Simple to change really, make a rule stating trainers can only come on the field for injury and after try's have been scored.

Godz Illa

Coach
The Penrith trainer Wayne 'Snoopy' Collins must have been having flashbacks at Kogarah the other night and thought he was back in the red v. Didn't want to leave the field for a moment

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Even if this rule was changed, it is reliant on the referee's to enforce.

And right now, the ref's are having a hard enough time doing their job, let alone adding any further responsibility to their plate.

DeeJ

Bench
Who cares if the trainers are out there? I haven't seen them get in the way once, plus its great to see our old favorites out there like Alfie and Geoff Toovey.

Didgi

I don't care. Never noticed until it's directly pointed out to me.

This
Who cares if the trainers are out there? I haven't seen them get in the way once, plus its great to see our old favorites out there like Alfie and Geoff Toovey.

And this
Should have a rule - if trainer interferes in play in any way - penalty to other team.

And we would see a grand total of one penalty a decade when the ball happens to accidently hit a trainer.

DeeJ

Bench
The only time I can think of trainers getting in the way is when they are attending to an injured player, which is hardly their fault anyway.

innsaneink

Referee
True didgi.....
If people focus on them then they will be noticed.
I too rarely notice them, only when the focus is on the players theyr treating.
I'm surprised actually I often see players go down hurt and no ones tending them and im thinking play should be stopped but its not.
Just another whinge....its flavour of the month on talkinsport right now

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
This one of my pet hates that amount to blatant cheating.

The amount of times I see Alfie, et al, on the field calling the plays is just ridiculous and surely against the spirit of our game.

adamkungl

Immortal
A bigger non-issue than the McIntyre system...speaking of, we aren't too far out from the finals, so any day we should start to expect some nuffy with a great new idea for a finals system that gives the minor premiers 16 chances starting 3 threads on it.

Hot tip: It will probably be a Dragons fan still bitter about last years choke

Didgi

But the Northern Russia Curling Association is trialling a new system in Division 3, we should surely change to that because it's clearly much better.

If I was Ivan Henjak I'd have Alfie out there telling my nuffie halfback what to do as well. Maybe JT can retire purely to boss Rovelli around from behind the action :). The modern trainer's job is to deliver instructions first and water second, yet most people dont notice them until someone starts a nothing thread or some bitter fan complains on a talkback show.

Latest posts