What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Barrett and the Bulldogs

Wb1234

Referee
Buzz definitely has a thing for Gus (and vice versa). They talk about it on 360 from time to time.

Most obvious time I have seen is earlier this year when Buzz made the claims about the Dogs not using drone tech at training. Gus shot him down by tweeting some drone images. The next night Buzz’s attitude was basically ‘so what if I made a mistake, Gus has made plenty (moving Cleary on, extending Hook and then sacking him and bringing Cleary back).

Now I am a thankful Penrith fan who thinks Gus has done a a lot for the club, but he is a very fallible human being. But I do take umbrage with Buzz’s line of reasoning. Gus works in a subjective industry, where your judgements are based on success in a highly competitive and evolving sport. He makes decisions and some will be right and some wrong.

But a hack like Buzz only needs to do one thing right. That is; when he tells the world something is happening he needs to ensure it is true. I’m sure it’s stressful and expectations are likely high, but ultimately it is not a difficult job. For him to compare his job to that of Gus or Barrett is ridiculous.

So I am sure things could have gone better for both Gus and Barrett, but (particularly for Barrett) he is up against 15 clubs that all want to do better than him; some of which are starting from a better position (rosters, systems etc) and have more experience.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on his performance, but for the likes of Kent and Buzz to think their opinion is worth any more than any other fans shows a degree of entitlement.

Rant out….
Sloth is the only person in the world left holding a grudge against Gus for super league. Even though his past 3 clubs were all super league ones

nick87

Coach
Who could have possibly seen this coming?
Oh everyone? Right. Sorry. Everyone saw this coming.

Rinse and repeat for the dogs
2-3 years from now JAC, Burton, Dufty, TPJ, Vaughan and even Kikau will replaced with other “high profile” and on we march

Saxon

Bench
Craig Bellamy hidden away down in Melbourne, the one time he come out of his little protection bubble was to coach NSW and the result? 3 series, 3 losses, one being 3-0 QLD.
Lost 3 series smack in the middle of Queensland dominance. So?
Sticky lost 2 out of 2 series in that period. So did Graham Murray. Daley lost 4 of 5.

Hardly proves Bellamy is a bad coach.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Ferris gone as well. Which means we can actually bring in a proper fitness trainer. Mick Potter in as interim coach.

Floodwaters

Juniors
Lost 3 series smack in the middle of Queensland dominance. So?
Sticky lost 2 out of 2 series in that period. So did Graham Murray. Daley lost 4 of 5.

Hardly proves Bellamy is a bad coach.

It goes to show coaches can't do much if they don't have the side.

Chippy73

Bench
Dogs have been cursed ever since they stole Hasler from us and gloated as our 2011 premiership celebrations were marred (not ruined, a premiership is always sweet).

Chippy73

Bench
if they won one of the GF's his rein would have been deemed a success.

Yes of course, but from what I can gather from my Dogs supporting mates the general sense at the end of his tenure was that he did more harm then good in the eyes of Canterbury fans.

dogslife

Coach
Des was great, but went a bit loopy at the end. He tried to replace the magic he got from Ben Barba with Aiden Tolman and Aaron Woods

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Disagree.

Mick Malthouse said it the best "Good coaches need good players, a coach can't do anything without good players"

Craig Bellamy hidden away down in Melbourne, the one time he come out of his little protection bubble was to coach NSW and the result? 3 series, 3 losses, one being 3-0 QLD.

It doesn't matter how good a coach you are, if you don't have the players you can't do shit and the talent is spread that thin its not funny.
Bellamy is a club coach, he needs the time and preseasons to get the team doing what he wants. He is not suited to SOO and that doesn't make him a bad coach. Fittler for example is a crap club coach but good SOO coach, very different

big hit!

Bench
Bellamy is a club coach, he needs the time and preseasons to get the team doing what he wants. He is not suited to SOO and that doesn't make him a bad coach. Fittler for example is a crap club coach but good SOO coach, very different

SOO isn't coaching. It's more about managing.

You may come up with some plays here and there, but I doubt you can influence much on the field through training during the week. It's all the other intangible fluff like bonding and having fun. Freddy is good with that but it probably wears thin over a season / players take advantage of the lack of discipline.

I see Bellamy and Green as similar coaches. Took their clubs to premierships through systems and hard graft developed over seasons. SOO is very much about how the players are fairing in that playing week!

For all we know, Barrett could probably be a very good Origin coach if given the keys for 7-10 days at a time.

Game_Breaker

Coach
SOO isn't coaching. It's more about managing.

You may come up with some plays here and there, but I doubt you can influence much on the field through training during the week. It's all the other intangible fluff like bonding and having fun. Freddy is good with that but it probably wears thin over a season / players take advantage of the lack of discipline.

I see Bellamy and Green as similar coaches. Took their clubs to premierships through systems and hard graft developed over seasons. SOO is very much about how the players are fairing in that playing week!

For all we know, Barrett could probably be a very good Origin coach if given the keys for 7-10 days at a time.

I agree that Origin is about people management
Club coaching is a mixture of management and tactics and Barrett doesn't seem to be a good people manager to get the best out of his players.
I think he's just too soft on them

Latest posts