What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Barrett as Coach ?

W.Smith

Juniors
i know i banged on in the Folkes thread about my dream of Trent Barrett being appointed as STGI coach but the more i think about it the more i like it and not just coz ive always been a massive Barrettfan

Baz was/has always been a favourite of mine evn before the merge but ever since he was appointed as Ivan Cleary asst at Penrith at the behest of Gus Gould ive always thought there may be something to Trent as a Coach and after seeing him as Country Coach i was even more int=erested in seeing him in a top job in the NRL

as a player he was a NSW/AUST rep was a great player for us and Illawarra, went over to Wigan and starred over there under Brian Noble a Dally M and Super League player of the year his cv is super impressive

appointing Baz will bring in new blood to the joint, new ideas, who knows what Baz is gonna have to offer a club, he gets plenty of kudos for his efforts at Cronulla where Rick Stuart always praised Barrett's input, Gus and Cleary have a massive wrap on his work at Penrith and with Lauries Origin mob and everyone has wrapped him as Country coach where he is very highly thought of by players and officials

he keeps getting linked to King Henry's job at The FNQ so something must be happening there whether he is being offered up by his manager or the Cows have made enquiries

it would be a media friendly appointment too as well as being a Steelers junior/local for the young blokes coming thru to aspire to and his appointment would be great in that respect

not having any grounding as a lower grade coach or whatever wouldnt even come into it imo, Pricey has been at Saints for 10 years or whatever and is still playing blokes out of position and form but in Trent's case being that he has been so entrenched in elite level footy as a top level player and assistant Coach at and away from the Dragons must be a good thing and while appointing Baz might seem a little Brad Fittler style when he was given the job at Easts i really reckon Baz would be a good appointment Coaching in the NRL and it is something that he really wants and he wants to be a success as a Coach

id hate to see him end up at NQ or anywhere else, i hate seeing him at Penrith tbh and would love to see him back in the fold at Kogarah/Wollongong and appointing him also eliminates the usual suspects, Sheens etc

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
No from me.
Let Mr Barrett learn the trade in lower grades first - and more importantly deliver results in those grades...

Gazzaw

Juniors
No from me as well. Think we need to move away from people previously assc with the club & start afresh, so there is no history

No but honestly if I was a top line coach I would avoid the Dragons like a plague poorly run, terrible squad and no vision for the future.

Definitely not! He'll be slapping Players in the face ...just to see what it feels like on the other side.

Seriously why? ...he's less credentials then Steve Price

dragon-83

Juniors
NO THANKS I put him in the pricey browny category although having said that brown did manage to get the the club to the finals lol.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
NO THANKS I put him in the pricey browny category although having said that brown did manage to get the the club to the finals lol.

I could of taken those 04-06 sides to the finals. Just goes to show just how ordinary Browny was that he couldn't even get those sides to the grand final. 2005 in particular.

I'd like to know how we would of went If we signed Bellamy instead of Brown in 2003...

nrlnrl

First Grade
No. And get rid of Albert as well. He's been around the club too long.

yep, time to freshen up in a few areas

as with players, the Dragons really struggle knowing the difference between loyalty & just letting people stay on ( and on ). They don't seem able to make the tough decisions about gracefully bringing an end to a career rather than letting it drift along & then it becomes painful for both sides involved.

The Cobra

Juniors
Barrett must have some coaching skills otherwise these other guys(Gus,Ricky etc) would not be extolling his talents in that area.BUT,I really think we have to look outside our club/organisation.Bring in someone who is neutral to both the clus in the JV.Alo as much as I love Albert from his playing days he definitely needs to step aside,he is causing far to much trouble with his strong-arm attitude & obviously has too much say in recruiting & team selections.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
No thanks, time to move away from jobs for the boys......think its time to appoint someone who is completely impartial and not frightened to make the tough decisions, especially in the area of selections. I don't think its totally necessary to have a coach that's played the game either, but he has to be able to get the best out of his players.....If you look at Alan Jones he never played Rugby but was able to get the very best out of the Wallabies....and on the other hand Wally Lewis was a great player but never really excelled as a coach.....

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Juniors
No but honestly if I was a top line coach I would avoid the Dragons like a plague poorly run, terrible squad and no vision for the future.

I think the exact opposite...the current squad is not so bad. We have made some reasonable signings for next year...still short of a half, centre and a strong couple of forwards. We have some very exciting young players who need to be nurtured and encouraged.

For a decent coach with experience we have all the ingredients and potential over the next 2-3 years of being something very special. What an opportunity, what a challenge!!