What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRI-NATIONS (2004) GREAT BRITAIN v NEW ZEALAND

Anonymous

Juniors
The Henry and Robbie Paul Cup

GREAT BRITAIN LIONS
v
NEW ZEALAND KIWIS

Game Thread
Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
Any other posts will result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
Only original essays, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

REPRESENTATIVE CONDITIONS:
Captains to name a total 10 players for each team.
Each team shall consist of 7 players + 3 reserves.

Full Time: Wednesday 24th November, 2004. 9:00PM AEDT (Sydney time)

Venue: The Front Row Stadium
ground_tfr_1.jpg

Crowd: 10,650
REFEREE: salivor

**Referee Blows Game On!**

Big Mick

Referee
Taking the Field for Great Britain in this Last match of the trinations versus the New Zealanders:

1. Mystery Girl vc
2. Parramatt
3. Mr Charisma
4. Chriswalkerbush
5. Paul the Cowboy
6. Yakstorm
7. Mr Angry

8. Big Mick c
9. Gene Krupa
10. Rabbitboy

Good Luck lads.

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
Great Britain Lions #5 - Paul-The-Cowboy.
746 words (inc title)

2004 and beyond - Something to roar about

The gap was closing, we were getting closer to the Aussies. But 12th July 2002 saw the progress that Great Britain had made in the 2001 Ashes Series evaporate into the Sydney skyline in spectacular fashion as a jet lagged British outfit suffered a humiliating, record defeat to Australia. 64-10 and the headlines made unpleasant reading for the fans back in Britain.

Rugby league's future hurt by Australian dominance

Record defeat hits Waite

Farrell: It was embarrassing

Granted, a mid season friendly on the other side of the world wasn't the best of ideas, but for all the talk of jet lag and under preparation, Australia were simply another class and the defeat was a huge dent in the ego of the Lions. It also gave rise to the question, "Is the gap really closing after all, or was it just a big myth? Just how much progress have we made since the 1997 World Club Challenge?"

2 years on, the progress is there for all to see.

Noble nurtures winning mentality

Paul tips Lions to beat Kangaroos

Carney puts Irish pride into Lions

League Chiefs Hail Tri-Nations Success

Great Britain are just one game away from winning the Tri-Nations series in front of a sold out Elland Road to finally end 35 years of hurt and gain the sport in Britain and Ireland some much needed media coverage.

The emergence of Paul Sculthorpe as the new face of Gillette has seen the stars of the game gain a bit more exposure in this soccer mad island. His appearances on quiz show, A Question of Sport, along with team mate, Sean Long, can also only be good for the game, with more people living outside the heartlands starting to recognise rugby league players. And in Brian Carney, the game has got such a colourful and charismatic character whose appearances on TV have show him to be a very witty, intelligent, well informed and articulate young man. With Ireland not known to be much of an RL stronghold, it's naturally also a positive factor to hear one of our players with a strong Irish accent!

The game on Saturday could prove to be one of the most crucial and historic 80 minutes of rugby league the country has seen in years. Victory would see the sport end the year in the media spotlight for the right reasons after the much publicised Long and Gleeson betting scandal earlier on. It would also see a new confidence and winning culture installed in the team for years to come. And hopefully, the feel good factor provided by the Tri-Nations will see fans flock to Super League games next year.

It is a great time for the game to build its profile. With the crisis down at Leeds United FC, a significant minority of fans in the area have become disillusioned with the team and taken an interest in Leeds Rhinos. With the Rhinos success in 2004, even more fans are expected to pack out Headingley next year. Also, with the re-emergence of racism in football, as well as the general disillusionment at the rising prices in football and the Premiership prima donnas, more potential customers are available. A successful national side will be sure to attract some of these fans to the game. After all, a Pom always enjoys seeing their nation beat the Aussies!

As well as another expected rise in attendances next year, things are looking great on the pitch as well. More and more youngsters are breaking into Super League and getting their chance. And as number of gifted youngsters breaking into Super League continues to increase, there is a gradual decrease in mediocre overseas players in ESL. The salary cap has seen a more even spread of talent as well as improved youth policies throughout ESL

This time, the gap really does seem to be closing. The national side is competitive, the crowds are improving, youngsters such as Danny McGuire are really making their mark on the game, and there's a real buzz in Britain at the moment.

And to further illustrate just how far British Rugby League has come since that dark day 2 years ago, Andy Farrell has become the first Brit to win the Golden Boot award since the great Ellery Hanley. Here's to hoping there'll be another piece of silverware in the British camp come 9pm Saturday.

_40549373_morley203.jpg

Misanthrope

Staff member
chriswalkerbush draws on all of his British pride and passion to lead a spirited charge upfield.

Still Kicking

For a while there, the doctor was looking up at international rugby league’s close friends and family with a look of grim concern on his face. The patient’s pulse was barely beating beneath pallid white flesh, and the future looked grim for what had once been the gem in rugby league’s crown.

Today, however, brought the world of league a much needed boost- with the RLIF ignoring growing protest from greedy NRL clubs and vowing to keep the tri nations concept alive and well for the future. While a date and host has yet to be decided for the 2005 tournament, the most important step has been made- the tri series will return next year and ensure that when the 2008 World Cup comes around, there will have been several years of competitive international football to whet the appetite of league fans.

The success of the 2004 tri-series has been described by RLIF chairman Colin Love as “…a concept that has captured the attention of fans and players alike”, and that has certainly been the case. Somewhere in the region of 180,000 people have come out to the matches (including the final), and television ratings has been impressive in both the United Kingdom and here in Australia. What is it that has made the tri-nations such a success?

First and foremost has been the fact that it’s been a tournament that any side could win. In previous years fans and journalists have gone into a tournament, whether it be a tour or a trans-Tasman test, with the impression that not only would Australia win it, but that they would win it comfortably. Sadly, that has been the case in recent years. The Kangaroos’ very quality and professionalism has proven to be international league’s biggest hindrance, with international football’s credibility continually questioned after scorelines like Australia’s 64-10 thrashing of England in 2002. This year has been a welcome change in the way international football has panned out. An understrength New Zealand side may not have scored a victory in the tournament, but they showed that pride and passion can make up for the absence of an established halfback and several starting players. The Australians’ long dominance of international league has appeared to wane somewhat as well, with the long NRL season perhaps responsible for a more tired and predictable Australian side in the games thus far. But, for me and many others, the highlight of the tournament has been the phoenix like rebirth of the Great Britain machine. Gone are the days of big, slow props and veterans without anything to offer- and usher in the days of the livewire Danny McGuire, the unstoppable Stuart Fielden, and the inspirational play of veterans such as Brian Carney and Andy Farrell. The Lions seem to have shrugged off the belief that they cannot beat Australia, and expressed that in emphatic style with a 24-12 win over the world champions only a fortnight ago to set up a crackerjack final this coming weekend.

Whilst the results of the tournament speak for themselves, one man must also be credited with resurrecting the concept after a nightmarish 1999 attempt which saw Australia dominate all comers. Brisbane and Australian coach, Wayne Bennett, has proven that while his loyalty may lie with the Broncos, his heart lies with league. Where other NRL clubs have protested that the tournament places too much strain on their premier players, Bennett has put club loyalty aside to push the tournament in the hopes that it would resurrect the glory days of international rugby league. The man may have his critics for some questionable selection decisions so far in the tournament, but in the spirit of giving credit where credit is due, I encourage all of you who have enjoyed the tri-series to give him his due.

The final between Australia and Great Britain this weekend is perhaps the most keenly anticipated international rugby league event in recent memory. The beauty of this weekend’s final, however, is that regardless of the winner- the tri series has proven to critics across the globe that international league is alive and well. It may not have the sheer number of competitive sides as Rugby Union does, but at the top it’s every bit as exciting and unpredictable as the old enemy. With France’s unexpected competitiveness, and the emergence of nations such as Lebanon, the USA, and Russia- the 2008 World Cup is looking like a mouth-watering spectacle. International league is alive and kicking.

WORD COUNT: 749 words including titles

[furrycat]

Coach
It is my unfortunate duty to inform everyone that after a week of hard messaging and rounding up, we are unable to form a full team for this match (Due to exams and other commitments). I apologise to GB, but we could only get 4 players who were able to play for this game. Sorry :(

Big Mick

Referee
No problems.

So is New Zealand Forfeiting?

Because in that case Paul and Chris can hold onto their articles.

MrCharisma

Bench
MrCharisma on International debut for Great Britain takes a scoot from dummy-half, looking for a penalty or some easy metres.

-------------------------------------
Bring Back The Sevens

Hi my names MrCharisma and I have got an addiction. I am not ashamed and I have come here to confess. I am addicted to Rugby League and I have been clean for months. Actually I have not been clean but I will be after this weekend. Throughout the year I had been on benders which sometimes would not see me move all weekend except to get a beer.

I will be honest with you, I am scared, scared of what lies in front of this weekend. You see last year after the Tri-Nations I had a few quick ones before the season. A trial game in Coffs Harbour, one at Gosford as well as a two day binge which I like to call The World Sevens Competition.

Decked out in the mighty blue and white I strolled into Stadium Australia I never knew what to expect. All I asked was watch some no name up and coming guys play some football and during the week I had read on the rleague website about where various teams were sitting on the day but I never found where the Bulldogs sat, even after I asked the webmaster. It would not have surprised if I was the only Bulldogs fan after Steve Folkes half-arsed line up.

I had heard a rumour where the Bulldogs Army would be sitting so I chased it up and eventually found Bay 23… deserted. It was 10am and on the Bay to my bottom left was a sea of blue and gold, to my direct left was the passion of the red and white and on my right was hoard of orange and black. I was surrounded by every colour of the rainbow and yet not one of my own kind. I felt like a blue and white Where’s Wally drawing. Finally the first game kicked off between Parramatta and Widnes.

Excited and totally oblivious to the Bulldogs and Eels rivalry, I stood leaning on the fence right next to the Parramatta supporters and chanted loudly for Widnes. I am not a Widnes fan and they are one of my least favourite ESL teams but is it not the point of 7’s to cheer on other sides during the day as well as your own. It is not that Widnes was the lesser of two evils like the Bulldogs/Roosters Grand Final was seens as but I felt really sorry that they were so far from home and were playing to a crowd of almost opposition in every game. So like a cat in a bag I just went nuts. It was from this support that I first found gratitude for being a supporter when the Widnes side came to me and I received applause. The MrCharisma support days continued as Lebanon took the field.

I am not Lebanese but I still cheered and it was in this game that there were two thrilling moments (excluding the two Wissam El Masri fights). Just as the sides were being announced, SBS cult hero Rocky from Pizza appeared out of nowhere with a huge Lebanon flag. I am not just talking about a big flag on a big pole but rather one that covered the entire bay. If meeting Rocky was not cool enough, at the end of the match the Lebanese side came to the fence and clapped the fans as well as throwing the team drink bottle to us and surprise, surprise, I caught it.
Kennel%20Supporting%20Lebanon.jpg

I also got to meet Travis Norton, Monty Betham, Matt Sing, Gordon Tallis, Mario Fenech and Ruben Wiki but the most interesting person I met was Alexander Lysenkov, an unknown Russian winger/centre. We talked about the tournament and his performance before finally I walked off and give him a that’s tops. I also got to hold the NRL trophy (I must have prepared it for the G.F), talk to Mario Fenech about our Maltese heritage, be harassed by police on two different occasions for causing trouble (it wasn’t me though) and get filmed for a was not to be NRL ad.
MrC%20N%20Mario.jpg

MrC%20N%20Police%203.jpg

This tournament is single handily my greatest Rugby League moment even above this seasons Grand Final. The World Sevens tournament was not only two days of Rugby League but also some fun and almost a reward to the fans. It is a shame the tournament is not running in ’05. Looks like I will just have to settle for some trial matches.

-------------------------------------
Word Count: 745 including title

Anonymous

Juniors
Gene Krupa pulls on the GB jersey one more time.

When do we stop calling it league?

Every year at around this time, the calls come out for rule changes to be made to the greatest game of all. Only today we have seen Dennis Fitzgerald come out and make the statement that the conversion should be dumped from the game.

"It should be the same amount of points no matter where you score, whether it be under the posts or in the corner,"

"Why should a team be penalised for scoring out wide. That's not how games should be decided."

"Tries should be put up to five points. There should be more emphasis on scoring tries rather than which team has the best goal kicker."

This is one rule that I doubt will ever be taken out, just as I think the scrum will always be part of the game. What is Dennis' next brainwave? No penalties because it disadvantages the other side?

While some proposed rules are far fetched and are never seriously considered, some rules have been changed or done away with altogether. Let's take a look at some of the rules that have been changed in some way.

6 tackles: The original rule of the game was to have unlimited tackles. This was changed in the 60's to give each team 6 attempts to score a try before the attacking team had to dispose of the ball. Impact: The game was made more entertaining due to the fact that it no longer took a mistake to turn the ball over.

10 meter rule: The original defensive line was set at 3 meters which was increased to todays 10 meters. This was brought about by the low scoring, defensive games during the early 80's. The opening of the defensive lines meant that the backs had more time to create opportunities for their outside men. This brought about a revolution in the game.

40/20 rule: This rule was introduced to reward attacking kickers for accurate, long kicks. It has allowed skilled kickers to take their team to a position where they are able to attack.

Draws: The golden point was introduced to eliminate tied games. The jury is still out about it's merits.

Held-up rule: In previous seasons, when a player was held up over the line, a scrum would be packed on the defensive 10 metre line. The attacking team would feed the scrum and gain another 6 tackles. The rule was changed so that the attacking side would play the ball on the tackle that the player was held up on. This rule change now rewards the defending team for stopping the player from scoring, not the attacking team for failing to score.

Tackle in air rule: Being a fullback used to be a very hazardous job. There were many neck injuries due to players falling awkwardly. This rule gave protection to defenders and allowed them to contest the high ball without fear of being tackled. Hence, we see that fullbacks of recent years are more athletic at jumping for the bomb.

Field goal: Eric Simms is the man responsible for the field goal going from a viable scoring option to something used mostly to break dead-locks. Originally worth 2 points, the value was reduced to one point after Simms and Barry Glasgow used it to great effect. The value of a try has increased from 3 points to 4 points to encourage attacking teams to go for a try, over options such as a field goal or penalty conversion.

Interchange: On/off once with the 4 reserves originally. Unlimited interchange during the 90's. Now we have 12 interchanges per game. The balance between iron man football of no changes and the no stop forward batter of unlimited interchanges is finally met.

There are many more rule changes that have been made over the years, this is just an example of the ones that have had the most impact on the game. Many have been trialled and proven to be what they were when they were suggested. Well intentioned thinking that didn't transfer to the game well.

Purists may not like the direction that league has taken in the last decade or so, but the game has never been more exciting to watch as a fan. The balance between good attack and good defense has never been better.

Leave it out, Dennis!

Quotes from: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11481019-23214,00.html

738 words including title

LeagueNut

First Grade
Okay, so New Zealand don't seem to have a team named ... but I'll be damned if we're going to go down without a fight ... so as useless as it may be, I'm going to post this anyway!

Leaguenut - New Zealand

Never give up

Flashback: The year is 2002, the match is Warriors vs Roosters at Aussie Stadium - the one just before the finals, and also the one where the Warriors were flogged by a rather unhealthy looking scoreline of 44 to blot.

At one stage (after yet another Roosters try), Kevin Campion huddled his team together - presumably for the standard pep-talk, “keep your heads up”, etc etc. But no, he had a clearer message. Despite being down by a considerable margin at the time, Campion was exhorting to his team to “set up for a field goal to improve our points differential”.

Now one can only presume he wasn’t being serious - although we can’t tell for sure - but still, it reinforces one of the greatest qualities about this great game of ours.

Never give up.

Rugby League is literally overflowing with stories of amazing comebacks - from individuals performing superhuman feats despite overwhelming obstacles, to teams clawing their way back from a seemingly impossible position, to the game itself being able to repair and rebuild after a shocking and shameful internal war. That fire that seems to burn deep within is apparently impossible to extinguish, as many people can readily attest.

Can you honestly imagine any half-decent Rugby League player would ‘pull his oars up’ to the detriment of his team?

Take Willie Mason - by God, if any player ever had a reason to throw in the towel, it was definitely Big Willie. This bloke could hardly draw a breath without being condemned for some reason or another. I reckon if you took all the newspaper stories about Mr Mason over the past few years you would have enough paper to build a double-laned reinforced bridge over the Tasman … with enough left over to wrap a whole years supply of our Fush and Chups.

Yet somehow he has managed to play at a consistently high level - capped off with a Clive Churchill Medal and rewarded with a Kangaroo jumper.

Sure, it’s easy to bag the guy - especially when most of his ‘troubles’ seem to be self-inflicted - but surely you have to admire his guts. Obviously, he’s another one who never gives up.

How about some of the team efforts we have seen recently? To be staring down the barrel of a 30 or 40 point hiding is demoralising enough - and yet somehow we have seen time and time again that teams just cannot realise when to give up …

Did the Dragons give up when they were trailing Manly by a considerable stretch in that memorable match earlier this year?

Did the Warriors give up when they were miles off the pace against South Sydney at Aussie Stadium in 2003?

Did South Sydney give up when the Warriors hit back in that same match to draw level late in the game?

Did the Warriors give up when South Sydney managed to re-take the lead once more very late in that very same match?

(Just in case you need reminding, the Warriors won that one 31-30 ... yippee!)

There are countless others - Penrith vs Wests Tigers, 2000 … Cowboys vs Penrith, 1998 … Bulldogs vs Warriors, 2001 … Dragons vs Storm, 1999 … I could go on like this for hours.

All of those matches have given us some extraordinary memories that will last lifetimes. It’s all a wonderful reminder that our great game is built on such a strong spirit that just cannot seem to buckle or break, whatever the circumstances.

Never give up.

Anonymous

Juniors
I'd like to support LeagueNut.

Even though I was away busy or waiting for Furrycat to say something, I just like the guts LeagueNut showed.

Congrats to you LeagueNut, you have heart.

:clap:

Anonymous

Juniors
LeagueNut said:
Okay, so New Zealand don't seem to have a team named ... but I'll be damned if we're going to go down without a fight ... so as useless as it may be, I'm going to post this anyway!
10 out of 10 :clap:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Good on you LeagueNut.
:clap:
Also congrats to the Poms for another good turnout. It's a pity our opposition were unable to field a full side to make a real contest of it, but that's how it goes.

LeagueNut

First Grade
:oops:

Thanks heaps for all the great feedback guys ... all I was really trying to do is avoid the first 'nil' score for any team in F7's history (I think!). It's a shame how things turned out though.

BTW, can Willow be the referee for this match? I like his marking style! :D

[furrycat]

Coach
I'm proud of leaguenut. But as I said I'm still very sorry that we could not get a full team out there. When one of our players is as ignorant as George Bush (not naming names but you'll guess it..) And when we've got a champ like leaguenut it disappoints me we didn't get a team. Well done LN though