What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial 2 - Rabbitohs vs Panthers: Saturday 23rd February 6:00pm @Redfern Oval

callmack1

Staff member
South Sydney’s biggest stars call on Wayne Bennett to let them play in John Sutton’s Testimonial

The Daily Telegraph -

South Sydney’s biggest names including Sam Burgess, Cody Walker, Damien Cook and Adam Reynolds have all asked Wayne Bennett to let them play in John Sutton’s testimonial match this Saturday.

In a sign that has left the new Rabbitohs coach in no doubt about Sutton’s standing among his peers, Bennett confirmed to The Daily Telegraph: “They all want to play out of respect to John Sutton. It is his testimonial and they think the world of him.”

While most of the club’s big guns were not expected to make their 2019 entrance until the following week in the Charity Shield against St George Illawarra in Mudgee, Bennett said he would not stand in the way of any player who was fit to take the field.

The trial against Penrith will be played at the Bunnies’ spiritual home at Redfern Oval and the club is expecting a good crowd to turn up in Sutton’s honour.

“A number of the senior players have put their hands up wanting to play,” Bennett added.

“I just have to work it out, talk to them during the week and respect their wishes.

“They probably won’t play long minutes but if they want to play they will play.”

While Reynolds has expressed his desire to play he might not be able to because of a shoulder problem, and Greg Inglis is still recovering from an ongoing knee complaint.

Sam Burgess also missed England’s recent Test series against New Zealand with a shoulder and wrist injury but Bennett said the big forward hadn’t missed a session all summer and was raring to go.

There was plenty of debate going on within the NRL last year as to whether Sutton should be afforded a testimonial match.

But ultimately sanity prevailed in the wake of huge support from the club and the wider rugby league community.

While Sutton never played State of Origin or Test football, he does hold a very proud record for most games ever played for Souths, an honour worthy of recognition.

Sutton recently signed for another season and says he wants to play on in 2020.

mackdadday

Juniors
If Sutton wants to play on and they are throwing him a testimonial match, isn't that a kind of obvious way to say no? I mean who plays on after their year where they had a testimonial match has that ever happened?

Pommy

Coach
If Sutton wants to play on and they are throwing him a testimonial match, isn't that a kind of obvious way to say no? I mean who plays on after their year where they had a testimonial match has that ever happened?

Can Smith had a joint one with JT in Brisbane last pre season didn’t he?

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs announce Line Up for John Sutton Testimonial Match: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ce-line-up-for-john-sutton-testimonial-match/

Wow, that is one stacked Line Up for a Pre-Season game that isn't the Charity Shield!!! I think that just shows how loved Sutto is because all the boys want to play for him, it's great!

Awesome side though and I can't wait for this now!! Interesting that AJ is at fullback with Allan on the wing, tht indicates to me that AJ is winning the race at the moment but I expect them to swap throughout the game so we should see Corey at that back for sure. Saturday is also the first time we'll see Sam on that right edge for a while which will be interesting.

I expect that all our big guns won't play the 80 minutes, at least, I don't think they should. But it's just great for them to get out there for Sutto and to blow some cobwebs out.

ThingFish

Juniors
Rabbitohs announce Line Up for John Sutton Testimonial Match: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ce-line-up-for-john-sutton-testimonial-match/

Wow, that is one stacked Line Up for a Pre-Season game that isn't the Charity Shield!!! I think that just shows how loved Sutto is because all the boys want to play for him, it's great!

Awesome side though and I can't wait for this now!! Interesting that AJ is at fullback with Allan on the wing, tht indicates to me that AJ is winning the race at the moment but I expect them to swap throughout the game so we should see Corey at that back for sure. Saturday is also the first time we'll see Sam on that right edge for a while which will be interesting.

I expect that all our big guns won't play the 80 minutes, at least, I don't think they should. But it's just great for them to get out there for Sutto and to blow some cobwebs out.
With us naming 25 players I reckon that most of that starting side might get 20min. I reckon Sutts will go as long as possible. Also interesting is the persistence of Graham in the centres. Sounds like he was impressive there last Saturday. Also interesting is the selection of Gagan over Denniss starting on the wing. Especially after Denniss had a bit of a blinder, given against a non NRL standard team, last week.

Last edited:

ThingFish

Juniors
So what are our tickets?
I have a receipt emailed to me, is that all we get?
Anyone got anything that I’m missing?
In that email there should be a link to “print tickets”.

If you are a member, go to https://membership.rabbitohs.com.au/ , then login. There should be a button called “tickets”. Click on that, it should show you all the tickets you have bought.

Last resort call the club. They’ve always been very friendly whenever I’ve called.

ThingFish

Juniors
65FBF3F3-9B01-4FF0-95B1-4A38711B843F.jpeg

Can’t wait to get my gob around a Young Henry’s or 5 on Saturday!!!

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News

John Sutton testimonial match: The journey from skinny teen centre to Rabbitohs legend
Written By Troy Whittaker

Fifteen years ago, a teenage John Sutton - skinny and yet to ink his trademark tattoos - made his NRL debut for South Sydney.

He wore the number four, played in the centres and bagged a try in the Rabbitohs' 48-28 loss to the Brisbane Broncos.

At the time of Sutton's emergence, Souths were nothing more than also-rans.

They had been excluded from the competition in 2000 and '01 and struggled badly since their readmission to the NRL in '02.

In Sutton's first eight years of first grade, the Rabbitohs qualified for the finals just once.

But the local junior - who blossomed from a centre into a strong running five-eighth or skilful back-rower - stuck true to the club.

His immense loyalty was rewarded when the Rabbitohs broke a 43-year drought and won the premiership in 2014.

Sutton, of course, was the captain of that triumphant side, the image of him lifting the Provan-Summons Trophy etched into the minds of all Souths supporters.

590-john-sutton-of-the-rabbitohs_1bzqvc9g28pk61n06784m21elf.jpg

Last year, Sutton became the first man to reach 300 first grade games for the foundation club, ensuring he will be forever remembered in Rabbitohs history.

South Sydney will honour Sutton this Saturday for his devotion with a testimonial match against the Penrith Panthers.

The gravity of the occasion is only just starting to sink in for the 34-year-old veteran.

"It's getting pretty exciting now. It hasn't really hit me until today that I'm getting a testimonial game," Sutton said on Thursday.

"[I'm] really looking forward to it. It's been a very good pre-season.

"I can't wait to play a bit of footy out at Redfern where I played a lot of my junior football."

john-sutton_46hj50elshyq1e6agdltodine.jpg

As for what he remembers from his very first NRL game in the cardinal and myrtle jumper way back in 2004?

"I was 19 up in Brisbane. I was very nervous but I got the chance to play first grade, which I was very happy for," Sutton reflected.

"I think we got beat by at least 20 or something by Brisbane that day but I didn't really care because I was playing first grade.

"It's just an honour to get to play for this club."

Sutton is the ultimate clubman; the player everyone wants in the trenches beside them.

While it's only a trial - officially, anyway - South Sydney's available big names were desperate to play this weekend to celebrate Sutton.

As any rugby league player will tell you, there is no greater honour than the respect of your teammates.

Sutton has earned that in spades.

"He's very respected by everyone in this club," Souths hooker Damien Cook told NRL.com on Wednesday.

"... [The testimonial] is going to be a special event, and we just all want to be out there and play alongside him.

"... When I first came to the club, John was the one I wanted to impress. If he said I did good, then I knew I did something right."

Young gun Cameron Murray added in a tribute to Sutton on the Rabbitohs' website: "You're the heart and soul of the club mate. It's been a pleasure to share the field with you."

No doubt the rest of Sutton's teammates over the years share the same sentiment.

He may not have played State of Origin or Test football, but you're unlikely to find a player more deserving of a testimonial match than John Sutton.

callmack1

Staff member
Game Day!!! Today we honour a legend of our club and one of the greatest we've ever had, if not THE greatest!

callmack1

Staff member
'King of Maroubra' Sutton honoured by Souths testimonial
By Christian Nicolussi

John Sutton points to the halfway line at Redfern Oval and begins to reminisce.

"I won 10 straight grand finals here with Kenso United, from the under-7s to under-16s," Sutton says.
62f2f01a020518c716c57aab3110bbf47bb3576d

King of Maroubra: John Sutton will be honoured with a South Sydney testimonial match on Saturday.CREDIT:JANIE BARRETT

"The presentations would be there [on the halfway line]. We'd run up and down the sideline. We'd have Hubba Bubba down our sock.

"There was the hill over there [on the far side] and the old scoreboard. It was pretty run down, but they were good times.''

Those grand finals in front of 50 friends and family felt more like 5000.

And that is roughly how many fans will pack into Redfern Oval on Saturday evening when Sutton is honoured with a testimonial game. Some of the proceeds will go to the loyal servant and be excluded from Souths' salary cap.

Parking will be a nightmare. Park rangers will have a field day (they have been known to book the Souths gear truck when parked at the back of the stadium).

But the February blowout against Penrith will provide the NRL with some desperately-needed feel-good scenes.

"He's not the Prince of Redfern. That would be Nathan Merritt. 'Sutto' is the King of Maroubra, but he's so well-respected in South Sydney because of what he has achieved and what he has done in the community,'' said Souths teammate Adam Reynolds.

Sam Burgess put his hand up to play with ''Fossil'', and the show of hands from so many other Souths players to take part in this special game for a special teammate reflected his standing at the club.

"We call him the fossil because he's one of the oldest guys in the team, but he turns up with the most energy and one of the best attitudes every day. It probably epitomises why he's had such a long career,'' Burgess said.
521e9fc61dace21701a44b54bb71de96562f2bda

Early starter: John Sutton shows the form that saw him win 10 straight grand finals as a youngster.

Russell Crowe is in New York and won't attend. But Sutton's parents will be there, with the back-rower requesting we speak with his dad, John, rather than mum, Elena.

"Whenever there's a story about me mum is always quoted, and dad gets upset,'' Sutton quipped.

John snr spoke about his son being so fast he reached the state little athletics championships for the 100m sprint. But growing pains when he was around 12 played havoc with his knees, even to the point he was forced to contact the Kensington coach and request he miss the grand final that year,

"He couldn't run and was in pain, but the coach said, 'I need him on the ground, I don't care if he can run or not, he knows all the plays,'' John snr said.

"He played. He could only jog. But they won.''

Sutton has enjoyed a brilliant career. He was the first player to crack 300 games at Souths. It is a feat that can not be underestimated because of the long history of the club.

He refused to rule out punching out another season in 2020, but will not give it much thought after the casual outlook worked so well for his game last year.

Sutton made his NRL debut against Wayne Bennett's Broncos in 2003. He played in the centres and scored a try.

Bennett has only been at Souths a couple of months but instantly found out what Sutton meant to the Bunnies.

"He's a really nice guy, very stable and all the players respect him enormously here,'' Bennett said.

"He's had offers to go elsewhere but he's always wanted to stay here. He has a genuine love for the club and South Sydney area. He never complains, turns up every day and enjoys what he does.''

About 5000 people will enjoy watching Sutton in what will be another wonderful Redfern memory with tickets available from the Rabbitohs' website.

Travitoh

First Grade
For those of you with Kayo, it'll be on live tonight. I don't know if that also means it'll be on Fox or not.