What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial #2 vs. North Queensland Cowboys Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
North Queensland Cowboys vs. Brisbane Broncos
BB Print Stadium, Sunday 18 February 2024
Kick Off: 3:00pm (AEST)

NQL2023TEAM.png

1. Tomas Chester 2. Semi Valemei 3. Jodeci Tiraha 4. Viliami Vailea 5. Robert Derby 6. Jake Clifford 7. Thomas Duffy 8. Thomas Mikaele 9. Sean Mullany 10. Marly Bitungane 11. Jack Gosiewski 12. Kulikefu Finefeuiaki 13. Sam McIntyre

14. Kyle Schneider 15. Wil Sullivan 16. John Radel 17. Jamal Shibasaki

18. D'Jazirhae Pua'avase 19. Jaxon Purdue 20. Ewan Moore 21. Jenson Taumoepeau 22. Henry Teutau

BRI2023TEAM.png

1. Reece Walsh 2. Corey Oates 3. Delouise Hoeter 4. Selwyn Cobbo 5. Deine Mariner 6. Jock Madden 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Corey Jensen 9. Billy Walters 10. Payne Haas 11. Brendan Piakura 12. Jaiyden Hunt 13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Tyson Smoothy 15. Martin Taupau 16. Fletcher Baker 17. Kobe Hetherington

18. Jordan Pereira 19. Benjamin Te Kura 20. Joshua Patston 21. Tristan Sailor 22. Cory Paix 23. Blake Mozer​

Big Pete

Referee
Kotoni Staggs, Jesse Arthars, Xavier Willison and Bailey Butler are all on All-Stars duty.

It's just about the strongest line-up the Broncos could have named. Jordan Riki (shoulder) & Ezra Mam (groin) are the only other exclusions, so this will largely be the same line-up that will challenge the Roosters.

One of the biggest stories to come out of the pre-season was Cobbo's shift to the left centre. It's his natural position, so I expect him to look more comfortable in attack, but it's his defence I'm interested in. Cobbo has the responsibility of protecting Ezra Mam, so he cannot afford to clock off.

There's also the new recruits in Jaiyden Hunt and Fletcher Baker. I like the signing of Baker, he has a real attention to detail and his ability to pass before the line will compliment the Broncos attack nicely. I'm a little concerned with the Broncos plan to play Jaiyden Hunt as an edge backrow. He can fill that role in a pinch but I view him more as a middle forward. Still, I'm curious to see how he plays now that he's reaching his peak and he's back in Queensland.

Finally, Joshua Patston appears to have earned another opportunity. The Broncos are low on edge forwards, they still need to fill spots in their NRL squad and Patston did play a direct role in the Broncos comeback against the Seagulls. It's a good opportunity for him to press his claims and it would be another success story for the QCup. Brisbane aren't the only club who saw anything in Patston, Josh took part in Melbourne's pre-season before he left their QCup affiliate to return home due to personal reasons.

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos 46 (Piakura 2, Oates, Cobbo, Walsh, Sailor, Te Kura, Paix tries; Reynolds 2/3, Walsh 3/3, Madden 2/2 goals) def. North Queensland Cowboys 20

It was far from the most convincing performance but in the end the Broncos just had too much strike and experience for the reserve grade Cowboys. The Cowboys did well to make it a 16-14 ball-game at HT, but the Broncos came out of the sheds a better side, with Reece Walsh leading the way.

In typical Broncos fashion, they piled on the points and were able to disguise what was otherwise a fairly scrappy and loose effort. The Cowboys were able to make easy ground and the Broncos gave them plenty of invitations. By my count, three of the Cowboys tries came off the back of Broncos mistakes.

Piakura was a stand-out in the first half before he had to come off with a knee injury. He's booked in for scans, but the early prognosis is positive and it's believed he's merely strained a muscle. Selwyn Cobbo had a mixed game, he had a hand in a couple of tries, scored one himself but his defensive efforts left something to be desired.

I don't think the Broncos are any closer to solving their wing problem. It was an indifferent weekend all-round for Jesse Arthars, Corey Oates and Deine Mariner. Of the three, I believe Mariner has the higher ceiling and he did produce one of the best runs of the trial but he struggled to work the ball out of trouble and he looks uncomfortable under the high ball. Deine's best position is right centre, but with Staggs occupying the role for the foreseeable future it remains to be seen whether Deine will find his best footy at the club.

Neither Jaiyden Hunt or Fletcher Baker did their chances any harm with their performances. Corey Jensen showed why he's currently ahead to partner Payne Haas in the middle. Mozer got an opportunity to show off his signature Magpies play to put Te Kura over for a nice try. Finally, while it was a tough act to follow, Patston was very busy in defence and was able to poke his nose through on a couple of occassions. If he can build on that performance, he could prove to be a really handy depth option.