What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial #3 vs. Gold Coast Titans Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Dolphins vs. Gold Coast Titans
Kayo Stadium, Sunday 19 February 2023
Kick Off: 6:05pm (AEST)

DOL2022TEAM.png

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 2. Jack Bostock 3. Tesi Niu 4. Brenko Lee 5. Robert Jennings 6. Anthony Milford 7. Sean O'Sullivan 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Jeremy Marshall-King 10. Mark Nicholls 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Kenny Bromwich 13. Tom Gilbert

14. Kodi Nikorima 15. Ray Stone 16. Jarrod Wallace 17. Herman Ese'ese 18. Euan Aitken 19. Isaiya Katoa 20. Poasa Faamausili 21. Connelly Lemuelu 22. Valynce Te Whare 23. Mason Teague 24. Kurt Donoghue 25. Jamayne Isaako

GLD2022TEAM.png

1. AJ Brimson 2. Alofiana Khan-Pereira 3. Aaron Schoupp 4. Phillip Sami 5. Jojo Fifita 6. Kieran Foran 7. Tanah Boyd 8. Jaimin Jolliffe 9. Sam Verrills 10. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 11. David Fifita 12. Beau Fermor 13. Isaac Liu

14. Jayden Campbell 15. Erin Clark 16. Moeaki Fotuaika 17. Joe Stimson 18. Sam McIntyre 19. Klese Haas 20. Toby Sexton 21. Thomas Weaver 22. Treymain Spry 23. Keano Kini 24. Iszac Fa'asumaleaui​

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Pretty much as expected outside of the wing options. Edrick Lee was ruled out after suffering a minor ankle injury at training. Coach Bennett won't take any chances with his former Queensland represented and will rest him from the game.

Otherwise it's a full strength line-up for the Dolphins who will be looking to put together an impressive showing ahead of their debut NRL clash against the Roosters. They had an unpleasant afternoon against the Cowboys last week where they barely had much ball yet still managed to cling onto a draw. If they can play with the same grit through out the season, they'll give their fans plenty of belief in the years ahead.

I'd say the most curious selection is Jack Bostock on the wing. Bostock is currently on a development deal but has leapfrogged Isaako for the position. I think it's a good sign that Bennett has the confidence to give Jack this opportunity and it's in the Dolphins best interest to give these prospects the opportunity to play alongside all these experienced players.

The Dolphins have only announced twenty-six players in their NRL squad. They'll need to announce three more ahead of the NRL season to meet that deadline. If this team is any indication, both Bostock and Donohue could be in that squad.

MugaB

Coach
Pretty much as expected outside of the wing options. Edrick Lee was ruled out after suffering a minor ankle injury at training. Coach Bennett won't take any chances with his former Queensland represented and will rest him from the game.

Otherwise it's a full strength line-up for the Dolphins who will be looking to put together an impressive showing ahead of their debut NRL clash against the Roosters. They had an unpleasant afternoon against the Cowboys last week where they barely had much ball yet still managed to cling onto a draw. If they can play with the same grit through out the season, they'll give their fans plenty of belief in the years ahead.

I'd say the most curious selection is Jack Bostock on the wing. Bostock is currently on a development deal but has leapfrogged Isaako for the position. I think it's a good sign that Bennett has the confidence to give Jack this opportunity and it's in the Dolphins best interest to give these prospects the opportunity to play alongside all these experienced players.

The Dolphins have only announced twenty-six players in their NRL squad. They'll need to announce three more ahead of the NRL season to meet that deadline. If this team is any indication, both Bostock and Donohue could be in that squad.
After bostocks efforts in that first trial, id expect him to make the squad... plus Euan Aiken surely gets centre position over brenko lee (what a waste that guy is... PLOD, PLOD, PLOD) at least Euan ran down that cowboys 100 metre intercept, most folks would have just let them go being a trial and all, so as to not risk injusy

Puff

First Grade
I am an ex dragon. I don’t want aitken anywhere near what this club is doing at centre.

MugaB

Coach
I am an ex dragon. I don’t want aitken anywhere near what this club is doing at centre.
That explains why i value him over the others in the squad... your clubs is in a shambles, the only thing keeping you afloat is ben hunt

Puff

First Grade
That explains why i value him over the others in the squad... your clubs is in a shambles, the only thing keeping you afloat is ben hunt
It’s not my club. Not sure if you read it closely. I said ex dragon. Dolphins are my local team. And now they are in the nrl I will be following them.

Puff

First Grade
Now to address Aitken at Center. If you’re happy with your winger never getting the ball Aitken is your guy. He doesn’t pass. I don’t mind him in the forwards, as his occasional use of the pass, is a more acceptable there. But damn I’d hate to play outside him on the wing.

He will hold our attack back. However, Bennett will know.

MugaB

Coach
Now to address Aitken at Center. If you’re happy with your winger never getting the ball Aitken is your guy. He doesn’t pass. I don’t mind him in the forwards, as his occasional use of the pass, is a more acceptable there. But damn I’d hate to play outside him on the wing.

He will hold our attack back. However, Bennett will know.
Bostock scored a try yes?

Big Pete

Referee
According to 7News, Edrick Lee suffered an ankle sprain and will be out for up to a month.

Big Pete

Referee
I can see Bennett shuffling through his centres until he's satisfied with a combination. The hope for this season will be trying to nail down at least one long term centre and then going to the market for another.

Brenko's biggest asset is his ability to link up with his winger. Oates enjoyed more quality ball playing alongside Brenko and he understands how to use space to create opportunities down that left-side. He's also a versatile player and can play either side of the field if need be. His biggest issue is his speed and players get around him too easily and when they do it's curtains.

Tesi is a deceptively strong runner of the football with good foot-work and acceleration. He's gone back and forth between fullback and centre so he's never had the opportunity to really develop his game in either position. It'll be interesting to see if Bennett can simplify his game and play to his strengths more. Hopefully he's got him working on his weaknesses too, because Niu's defence at centres left a lot to be desired back in 2021.

Of the pair, I see Tesi as the more risk-reward type signing. He's only on a one-year deal so if it doesn't work out they can cut their losses easily. However if he does make something of himself, that's one position the Dolphins can lock down long term.

Latest posts