What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial game: Sat 27 Feb | Eels v Panthers: 7.30pm (AEDT) at Panthers Stadium

forward pass

Coach
I watched a fair bit of Hipgrave at the Titans and I will never understand what made BA bring him to the club. What did he see in him? BA seems impressed that he is a loose cannon.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's just trial and sometimes one side ties it more seriously then the other. But I expected the NSW cup side to have more hunger and guys push for an NRL spot. I think it is worrying as far s depth goes. I thought Panthers where meant to lack depth this season.
Panthers played to the (lack of) whistle better in all three grades. Best illustrated by Cleary's try where Lane and Matterson let Koroisau go straight through the middle because they thought they were offside. Meanwhile Penrith were offside all game. Even when we got a quick play the ball their offside markers were pressuring us.

If the refs are going to put their whistles away this year (like they did in the second half of 2020) we'll be f**ked because our team is built to work off the back of a quick ruck in the middle. If the refs let teams cheat that takes away our advantage in attack.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The issue is whilst training our attack is versus our defence and visa versa, both of which are average. It appears, once more, our attack is based on maximum effort repeatively through the middle. Bash and barge and hope the opposition defence falters. Ho hum.
How about expecting the ref to penalise illegal slowing tactics in the ruck? If we knew they weren't going to enforce the rules we could've built a team suited to a different style.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Panthers played to the (lack of) whistle better in all three grades. Best illustrated by Cleary's try where Lane and Matterson let Koroisau go straight through the middle because they thought they were offside. Meanwhile Penrith were offside all game. Even when we got a quick play the ball their offside markers were pressuring us.

If the refs are going to put their whistles away this year (like they did in the second half of 2020) we'll be f**ked because our team is built to work off the back of a quick ruck in the middle. If the refs let teams cheat that takes away our advantage in attack.
The lack of six agains kept your boys in the game. Without them you'd of be blown away

Incorrect

Coach
Every time Dylan Brown kicks in general play 30+ metres out I feel like I'm watching a union halfback kicking. It's basically a gentle up and under hoping for opposition winger not to 'mark' it inside their own 20.... Impotent as f**k, like the rest of our attack

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The lack of six agains kept your boys in the game. Without them you'd of be blown away
We are the most disciplined team in the NRL, unfortunately. We are far too quick to get off the tackled player. It's actually a disadvantage when the refs won't enforce the rules.

Last year the top four featured three of the six most penalised teams, plus the Eels, who were the least penalised: Teams - NRL

I don't think we play dirty enough.

Last edited:
Every time Dylan Brown kicks in general play 30+ metres out I feel like I'm watching a union halfback kicking. It's basically a gentle up and under hoping for opposition winger not to 'mark' it inside their own 20.... Impotent as f**k, like the rest of our attack

It’s both our halves doing the same shit kicks. They seem to always be on the back foot and doing high lobed kicks. And then you have Cleary running on to the ball and kicking for field position.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
We will never win a premiership under Arthur with his style and philosophy. You can take that to the bank.

I guess we have to suffer for 2 more seasons, unless the idiots who support him grow a brain

Bandwagon

Staff member
Panthers played to the (lack of) whistle better in all three grades. Best illustrated by Cleary's try where Lane and Matterson let Koroisau go straight through the middle because they thought they were offside. Meanwhile Penrith were offside all game. Even when we got a quick play the ball their offside markers were pressuring us..

Yep, our game relies on getting the opposition backpedalling through our forwards more than most, they had markers standing a meter or two to the side of the ruck making tackles, meanwhile Lane in the same position raised his arms as if called out by the ref.

The problem though as i saw it is we didn't adjust, we still scrambled back the ten. Now it might be that it's a trial and BA wanted the discipline regardless of the result, or it might be that we are too f**kin' dumb to work out what's going on and adjust.

We adapted quickly to the rule changes last year, and that's why we were so fast outta' the blocks, but it didn't last, because the other teams worked it out and exploited them better as the season wore on. I suspect BA is running with the idea that the same kind of general play is going to work as well with the new rules, how they're interpreted will probably decide whether or not that's the case. If last nights run is gonna be any guide ( which there's nothing to say it will or won't be ) we're gonna struggle.